Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XTRONS aftermarket head unit install / review thread

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318iC
    Hi,

I just joined the E38 world and have been looking into the Xtrons units. I notice most of the manufacturers of these units state (as well as members here) that if you have DSP you have to buy a cable to bypass it. My question is are you really losing much in sound quality? Has anyone done a comparison? My guess is the new DSP tech in these units is better than the old BMW DSP. For me the main reason for me to try and keep it would be to utilize the OEM cables and not have to run additional wires. Is there any other reason to keep it that I am missing?

Thanks,
    Bryon

My Cars
    1998 e38 740il
    Not attesting to the Xtrons unit since I don't have one of those, but as far as these android platform based units, I didn't notice any improvement or loss as far a sound quality goes. They highlight mostly the bells and whistles of video quality, processing power, gps, bluetooth and all that other stuff but not one have I seen go into detail about audio quality, any sound processing, s/n ratio or anything verifiable to that nature. The one thing I do miss about the factory unit is the radio signal. So much clearer and better than the aftermarket units, again not sure about the Xtrons stuff.
    What's more important to you? Audio quality because you like listening to music or do you want a little of everything that these android based units offer including video, bluetooth, wifi and such?

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Greygoose82 View Post
    Not attesting to the Xtrons unit since I don't have one of those, but as far as these android platform based units, I didn't notice any improvement or loss as far a sound quality goes. They highlight mostly the bells and whistles of video quality, processing power, gps, bluetooth and all that other stuff but not one have I seen go into detail about audio quality, any sound processing, s/n ratio or anything verifiable to that nature. The one thing I do miss about the factory unit is the radio signal. So much clearer and better than the aftermarket units, again not sure about the Xtrons stuff.
    What's more important to you? Audio quality because you like listening to music or do you want a little of everything that these android based units offer including video, bluetooth, wifi and such?
    Thanks for the reply,

I'm definitely going to get one of these units since it keeps our cars modern for a very low cost considering. It just seems from what I've been reading that the DSP is a deciding factor for others but maybe just from the connectivity aspect. Just want to make sure I don't loose any major functions when bypassing it.

Based on what you mentioned nothing is lost in terms of quality and now I'm assuming the weak link in the sound system is probably the paper drivers. I don't listen to local radio much but have seen some units with DAB, do you have this on your unit?

Thanks,
    Bryon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by DjMossM42 View Post
    Thanks for the reply,

I'm definitely going to get one of these units since it keeps our cars modern for a very low cost considering. It just seems from what I've been reading that the DSP is a deciding factor for others but maybe just from the connectivity aspect. Just want to make sure I don't loose any major functions when bypassing it.

Based on what you mentioned nothing is lost in terms of quality and now I'm assuming the weak link in the sound system is probably the paper drivers. I don't listen to local radio much but have seen some units with DAB, do you have this on your unit?

Thanks,
    Bryon

My unit had DAB

El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by xboss View Post
    I really have to get the money shots up for this thread. My life is always a mess and some stuff is missing but the full project has all new speakers (8) and the android unit is killing it. Sounds great and looks great and now my 97 750 is streaming spotify while navigating and taking phone calls. The boot time is super fast as mentioned. These units do have little bugs and hiccups here and there but if it can last 4-5 years I'm happy!
    So where are the pics??
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    So where are the pics??
    I also want to see the set up

El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    95 740i, 89 735i,
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post

I also want to see the set up

Franco90 did you have a Xtrons too

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by ibumpers View Post
    Franco90 did you have a Xtrons too

No I have a different set up.
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR

XTRONS aftermarket head unit install / review thread

No I have a different set up.
    Why doesn't xboss show pics of his install? Is he ok? Did something happen?

Last edited by kahlilj; 08-29-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    Why doesn't xboss show pics of his install? Is he ok? Did something happen?

I know he has being sick and stuff and working long hours

El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    I know he has being sick and stuff and working long hours

Oh ok. Hope he gets better

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Hey guys, tx,

Yeah, I have been a wreck. I probably need brain surgery for the cluster headaches some day. They keep getting worse every year and I will be chronic soon. A new device came out to help them though so I need to get it and see if my life is better.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Hey guys, tx,

Yeah, I have been a wreck. I probably need brain surgery for the cluster headaches some day. They keep getting worse every year and I will be chronic soon. A new device came out to help them though so I need to get it and see if my life is better.
    Oh wow dude! Sorry to hear this. Yeah if you got headaches looking at computer screens is probably not the best thing for ya. Get well soon and stay off of here! . ... til you get better

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Finally got around to installing mine. Still have to do things like wire up the GPS and reverse camera, but that's no biggy.

The important stuff is done: Custom bracket and primary wiring.

In short, I ordered a nav frame from latvia (seems most E38's have ended up there) and chopped it up. Basically just used the top part of the frame to mount the top of the radio, and the bottom part to mount the radio TO and mount the hvac to.

For some reason I didn't take pictures of anything while doing the work so what I DO have is the following:

The back of the frame has a lip that sticks out above the hvac, so I mounted an angle bar (aluminum) to it and mounted the angle bar to the back of the nav unit.

006_zpsbzrn56m9.jpg

005_zps926hr9iz.jpg

I had to shave off a bunch of material from the sides of both the frame, and the nav unit. I've seen units that come with these parts already cut out, but I did some quick testing with a cutoff tool and it worked (looks better now that I've cleaned it up)

001_zps1hk7zvyt.jpg

002_zpsfuifnlk1.jpg

And presto, unit is installed!
    004_zpsncjtm9ce.jpg

Recorded some junk but hope this helps someone:

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Here's a shot of the box after it was moved over:

012_zpsy6btdvnu.jpg

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    Here's a shot of the box after it was moved over:

012_zpsy6btdvnu.jpg

Sooo no DVD player?

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Correct. I have YouTube for that - or netflix if I want, or basically any other means of playing a video, DVD's are too big and bulky for cars anyway!

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Very nice Jamos!

My unit is killing it so far besides the speakers not being finished. I found an awesome launcher for our units. For only one dollar in the play store and it makes the head unit more car radio like.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.carlauncher

My girls do most of the driving and they enjoy the ease of just getting in the car with an android phone and boom, internet, bluetooth, nav, spotify all streaming on demand and auto connected to the phones hotspot. I will have to add pics soon. TY!
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL

My unit is killing it so far besides the speakers not being finished. I found an awesome launcher for our units. For only one dollar in the play store and it makes the head unit more car radio like.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.carlauncher
    Damn, that is pretty cool. Saving that for future reference if I ever get around to doing an Android unit in mine.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Oh wow I didn't even think about launchers! Thanks for that!!

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4

XTRONS aftermarket head unit install / review thread

Nice looking unit

El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    lol I had this one Car Launcher
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Hahah that's what I thought!

My Cars
    95 740i, 89 735i,
    lol I had this one Car Launcher
    What you think about it, why don't you still have it?

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by ibumpers View Post
    What you think about it, why don't you still have it?
    Franco has one of everything. It's his style
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast