Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Oil Change Routine?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I drain from the bottom. This provides a good opportunity to have a look around for the next new oil leak, etc.
    I have an extractor but its used for other duties.
    Jacking is a non issue as I have a lift and until the heard is thinned a bit more one car is "parked" six feet up every night anyway.
    The issue of complete evacuation is probably a moot point as unless you intend to let it drain overnight there is still a not insignificant amount of old oil remaining in the engine regardless of the method chose to drain it. Sludge shouldn't be present anyway and if so neither way will remove it.
    Perhaps I'll perform an experiment by letting the car sit overnight and use the extractor then pop the plug out to see what remains.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2001 530i Touring
    Has anyone had success using a Fumoto valve on an E39? I have one on my Fiesta and love it. I can knock out an oil change in 15 minutes thanks in part to that nifty thing. Also allows me to drain just a bit of oil if I overfill or want a sample.

I tried installing one on my E39 but the way the drain plug is recessed in the pan meant I would need several extension fittings and by then the valve would hang down precariously low.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Frequently with devotion.
    LOL ! Awesomes !

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckesteeze View Post
    Has anyone had success using a Fumoto valve on an E39? I have one on my Fiesta and love it. I can knock out an oil change in 15 minutes thanks in part to that nifty thing. Also allows me to drain just a bit of oil if I overfill or want a sample.

I tried installing one on my E39 but the way the drain plug is recessed in the pan meant I would need several extension fittings and by then the valve would hang down precariously low.
    These things are great. I can see where the way the pan is formed around the drain hole(on M52 anyway) how it would be tough to get one to seat. Have you contacted the mnfr? They might have a solution.
    Years ago I was piling miles on a car at an astounding rate, requiring oil changes every few weeks. This device made life really easy.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Can’t use the Fumoto on the 540, it would point straight down, probably would have to leave the little door off. Then the next speed bump you go over it would get clipped off.

I’ve got one on the LS3 in my hotrod, it’s on the lower side of the pan.

My Cars
    2003 M5
    M5Jed from M5board has his own design one way drain valve for oil pans. Be tempted to get it. But I'd still worry about it getting damaged on the M5's bottom pan drain. Cool part though.

It'll work as long as your drain plug is M12×1.5. Link for anyone interested.
    https://www.einhornindustries.com/st...r_Oil_Pan.html

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Then the next speed bump you go over it would get clipped off.

I almost put one on my Cobra Mustang because after a track day weekend changing the oil and brake fluid regardless of mileage is a wise thing to do. I had the valve sitting there ready to go on after the next change when a friend comes into town to show me his new (to him) 2002 530i.

Nice car, exceptionally clean. He was standing at the service desk getting his X5 written up for some service when he overheard a guy arguing with the sales manager about trade in price. They wanted to give him some ridiculous low ball offer, I think $1500.. It only had 35k on it. So the sales manager got a call leaving the OE of the 530i standing there and fuming.. and he started a conversation with the guy and bought it on the spot for double the dealerships offer. Sales manager was pissed when he got back, he was probably going to hook up a family member or himself with that cream puff. Anyway, exceptionally nice car and he's down showing it to me and visiting.. when I suggest he drive the Cobra.. the visceral feel of that car takes your breath away. I pull in a mall parking lot that was mostly empty and we switch places. He put his foot down and I should have told him about the giant speed bumps the mall uses but figured he knew.

He didn't. He launched that car in the air and all we needed was an air horn playing Dixie and a big number 1 on the door and the onlookers would have sworn.. anyway.. we landed, crunched, embarrassment all around.. I drive home and didn't look at the car for the rest of his visit.. didn't want to ruin a nice visit. But as soon as he's gone I tear into it.. GT500 splitter custom formed to the Cobra bumper is trash, I would have trashed the Cobra bumper if I could have found another.. so that was a long slow repair. A number of those push pin plastic fasteners were missing and had to be replaced. The suspension survived, even the alignment was spot on.

Now, I tease him about needing a pilots license and he teases me about test flights.. glad it turned out like it did.. in our "older" age we were calm about it, he offered to pay for the repair, I refused and told him it was my fault which it was.. and our friendship survived where 20-30 years earlier.. maybe it wouldn't have. It just turned into a bonding experience that made our friendship stronger. On his next visit I'm going to see if he'll let me fly.. I mean drive.. his 530i at the mall.. I want to see his face when he's having that internal struggle with ethics.. he loves that car.. Oh, I gave him that valve.. I'll have to ask what car he put it on..

I'm still looking for an OE front bumper for a 99 SVT Mustang if anyone runs across one. It looks fine, ebony black is easy to match and blend, but I know on the other side one can see the visible signs of the wounds.. would love to replace it. The car is a survivor and especially if I can find one originally painted ebony black at the factory..
    Last edited by SW530; 03-07-2023 at 05:46 AM.
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Can’t use the Fumoto on the 540, it would point straight down, probably would have to leave the little door off. Then the next speed bump you go over it would get clipped off.

I’ve got one on the LS3 in my hotrod, it’s on the lower side of the pan.
    These still work just fine if pointed to the side rather than down.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    ^_they make a 90º one?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    ^_they make a 90º one?
    Not sure what your 540 oil pan is like. The one I had was attached to a stamped steel pan on a Jeep 4.0
    My recollection is it could be oriented any way you wanted as long it was tight. I know the way the plug is recessed into my M52s pan it wouldn't work at all unless some grinding on the pan or somehow extending valve out.
    Another similar item is the Fram Sure Drain. It is a replacement plug that works like a Schrader valve. The valve remains closed until the center is depressed by the specific drain hose. More compact than the one being discussed and might fit within the recesses on our cast BMW pans.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ross1; 03-07-2023 at 08:29 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Hardtop M Roadster
    For the Mityvac users, about how many minutes do you normally wait after turning off the engine before you insert the hose? (not sure how true - hearing stories of hoses warping because the oil was still too hot when they first insert, gets kinked then when they try to pull out of the dipstick tube they cant)

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I’ve never had that issue, hot or warm.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    I've never had that issue either and I drain mine within minutes of turning off a hot engine.
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12