Thread: *Question on A Pillar removal*

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Question *Question on A Pillar removal*

Is there a difference between the way A pillars with/without airbags are removed? Here's a Youtube vid on A Pillar removal (no head airbags).

Last edited by jamesdc4; 05-03-2013 at 04:21 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    They are held in with snap clips, but in all likelihood they will break when you remove them. The plastic that the pillars are cast out of gets so super fragile as this age. The tabs that slide into the clips usually stay in the clips.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Is there a difference between the way A pillars with/without airbags are removed? Here's a Youtube vid on A Pillar removal (no head airbags).....
    My '99 528i has the HPS or whatever you call them, the airbag-tubes for head protection. Different from what is shown in that video.

1. Disconnect the battery.
    2. Unscrew the torx screw behind the "HPS" tab (it's at a weird angle, remember that when re-installing).
    3. Insert fingers (both hands) behind the pillar cover, about halfway down, and pull straight out. (There's
    a flat tab that fits into the pillar there, and it's a tight press-fit thing, so if you flex the cover too much at
    any other location before that tab is all the way out, the cover's vintage plastic may crack and leave a nice
    crease in the fabric. (Windshield guy cracked one, I cracked the other to match LOL!) If the tab breaks off,
    the cover will droop on the front and reveal the plumbing innards of the sunroof drains for all the world to
    see.

Use very clean hands for this; the fabric is a dirt magnet.

Other than that, about the same.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Thanks for the responses.

- - - Updated - - -

A Pillar Removal (With and without airbags).
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Is there a difference between the way A pillars with/without airbags are removed? Here's a Youtube vid on A Pillar removal (no head airbags).

Quote Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
    My '99 528i has the HPS or whatever you call them, the airbag-tubes for head protection. Different from what is shown in that video.

1. Disconnect the battery.
    2. Unscrew the torx screw behind the "HPS" tab (it's at a weird angle, remember that when re-installing).
    3. Insert fingers (both hands) behind the pillar cover, about halfway down, and pull straight out. (There's
    a flat tab that fits into the pillar there, and it's a tight press-fit thing, so if you flex the cover too much at
    any other location before that tab is all the way out, the cover's vintage plastic may crack and leave a nice
    crease in the fabric. (Windshield guy cracked one, I cracked the other to match LOL!) If the tab breaks off,
    the cover will droop on the front and reveal the plumbing innards of the sunroof drains for all the world to
    see.

Use very clean hands for this; the fabric is a dirt magnet.

Other than that, about the same.