Thread: Updating and improving the DIY Quicklink List

My Cars
    '86 951 '01 530i/5

Updating and improving the DIY Quicklink List

I see all of these wonderful DIYs set up, but they are not concisely organized or hosted on just one source or website. Or almost replicating e38.org, but without all of the external links to forum posts and provide a better user interface. Make it work more like an actual "manual" then a page listing links.

Something similar to:

http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html

Or

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm ?

Edit: Revising to clearly express my thoughts.
    Last edited by manticore33; 08-27-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    I love coffee.
    My e39 is fixed and moving towards atrophy.

My Cars
    '86 951 '01 530i/5
    jamesdc4: I would love to take the time to set something up. But I have not yet looked into hosting services and costs. Likewise, I am not completely aware of all of the legal requirements to share, use, and incorporate people's posts (maybe cite, and ask for forgiveness?). Really, what keeps me from down it now is family commitments. An 18 month old and a three year old keep you busy!! (well that is my excuse ).

And you are right, I am not much of a thread starter. I typically research and find answers to my "oh, it's broken again" before starting my own thread. I mean, I am a smart enough fellow (or I think I am) to answer my own questions through comprehensive research. 99% of the issues have been encountered before me. And I am a big boy (kinda sexy too) and can confidently fix my car without the moral support of the board. That said, I typically engage in debates, because, above all, I love a good mental fap, fap, fap session.

I found the consolidated websites I mentioned extremely useful over the years. And I love posts like this that contribute back to the hobby to help new owners feel comfortable with their car. Actually, the VFAQ website built my confidence enough to start repairing my own cars when I was a little boy into DSMs. Likewise, I love the integration of Clark's Garage and think it could be a good model for an e39 DIY manual (with more visuals of course).

If/when I do a write up, I will most certainly let you know (but do you want that to happen with how long winded I am). Until then I will continue to wage my war to convince people to not modify their cars! Keep it mostly stock and love it for what it is! (Maybe some allowance for new wheels) And putting an end to threads that start: "My buddy thinks his XXX is faster than my 528i..."
    Last edited by manticore33; 08-28-2010 at 12:31 AM.
    I love coffee.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by manticore33 View Post
    jamesdc4: I would love to take the time to set something up. But I have not yet looked into hosting services and costs. Likewise, I am not completely aware of all of the legal requirements to share, use, and incorporate people's posts (maybe cite, and ask for forgiveness?). Really, what keeps me from down it now is family commitments. An 18 month old and a three year old keep you busy!! (well that is my excuse ).
    I use photobucket which is free, but there are other free choices out there as far as web hosting services. As far as legal matters, always check with and give props to the OP or author as well as follow the rules of the forum on such matters.
    Also, I have four children (10, 7, 4, 18 months) and a full time job as a symphony musician. I understand completely.
    And you are right, I am not much of a thread starter. I typically research and find answers to my "oh, it's broken again" before starting my own thread. I mean, I am a smart enough fellow (or I think I am) to answer my own questions through comprehensive research. 99% of the issues have been encountered before me. And I am a big boy (kinda sexy too) and can confidently fix my car without the moral support of the board. That said, I typically engage in debates, because, above all, I love a good mental fap, fap, fap session.
    It sounds like you have some experience when it comes to BMWs or at least, with cars. Why not share it with the board? That's what this forum is all about. Its okay to lurk, but contributions to the forum are what make it what it is.
    I found the consolidated websites I mentioned extremely useful over the years. And I love posts like this that contribute back to the hobby to help new owners feel comfortable with their car. Actually, the VFAQ website built my confidence enough to start repairing my own cars when I was a little boy into DSMs. Likewise, I love the integration of Clark's Garage and think it could be a good model for an e39 DIY manual (with more visuals of course).
    Wow. I just said some of that!
    If/when I do a write up, I will most certainly let you know (but do you want that to happen with how long winded I am). Until then I will continue to wage my war to convince people to not modify their cars! Keep it mostly stock and love it for what it is! (Maybe some allowance for new wheels) And putting an end to threads that start: "My buddy thinks his XXX is faster than my 528i..."
    I do not completely disagree with you on this one.

Regardless, I think you are correct about the DIY and possibly even the FAQ being candidates for improvement. I'm always open to suggestions and would be willing to listen to any ideas you might have. I'll take a look at your posted links and see what I can do. Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 08-28-2010 at 01:02 AM.

My Cars
    01 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    I use photobucket which is free, but there are other free choices out there as far as web hosting services. As far as legal matters, always check with and give props to the OP or author as well as follow the rules of the forum on such matters.
    If you or anyone has trouble with hosting a DIY page such as this, pm me. I will host it in its entirety (provided there are no infringements to intellectual property), and I will make any edits you request. I can also host d/l content such as .PDFs. For free.

I view this board as an extremely valuable resource and know firsthand what it's like when information/links disappear.

My Cars
    '86 951 '01 530i/5
    It sounds like we might be able to get this ball rolling! I am up for editing current DIYs too. PDF995 does a great job being a free print-spooler to PDF document converter (acts like a virtual printer, but instead of receiving a printed copy you have a PDF document). It works with any source you may want to print!

I think citing and and consent might help mitigate some of the IP issues. Or be quick to respond if someone does not want their post a part of the "manual."

Most of my experience is actually with other cars. Both of my BMWs have been very good and needed only typical maintenance. I am due up for some suspension work on my 530i, so soonish? Other than that I have done clutches, replaced cylinder heads, timing belts, water pumps, pulled engines, brakes, suspension, fuel pumps, etc.
    I love coffee.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    I think citing and and consent might help mitigate some of the IP issues. Or be quick to respond if someone does not want their post a part of the "manual."
    We don't want to over complicate things. What I have already done took an enormous amount of work, and what you are suggesting would be an even larger undertaking.
    When anyone posts on BF.c, their post becomes the property of the boards, so we don't need to ask each and every poster permission to include their material.
    That being said, keep the ideas coming, but let's do it by PM or start a dedicated thread on the subject.
    My apologies to crdiscoverer for polluting his thread.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 08-28-2010 at 10:32 AM.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    We don't want to over complicate things. What I have already done took an enormous amount of work, and what you are suggesting would be an even larger undertaking.
    When anyone posts on BF.c, their post becomes the property of the boards, so we don't need to ask each and every poster permission to include their material.
    That being said, keep the ideas coming, but let's do it by PM or start a dedicated thread on the subject.
    My apologies to crdiscoverer for polluting his thread.
    I understand that but just because you have posted something online for all to see does not mean you are not the owner of your text and images. I've read the rules and nothing is stated along those lines.

So it would be IMO prudent to create an index to topics, but not to cut-and-paste word-for-word topics from the forum (or any other source). If you write your own content and use ideas or methods described by others without reproducing their exact text I think that is fine, but it would be nice if the source could be cited for some things (changing the spark plugs is easy, well documented so I don't think a citation would be due in that case)

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    I understand that but just because you have posted something online for all to see does not mean you are not the owner of your text and images. I've read the rules and nothing is stated along those lines.

So it would be IMO prudent to create an index to topics, but not to cut-and-paste word-for-word topics from the forum (or any other source). If you write your own content and use ideas or methods described by others without reproducing their exact text I think that is fine, but it would be nice if the source could be cited for some things (changing the spark plugs is easy, well documented so I don't think a citation would be due in that case)
    All you have to do is take a look at my threads and posts. Anytime I use another member's (or anyone for that matter) threads/posts, I always give the author credit. As far as I'm concerned, that goes without saying.
    With that being said, I need to reword what I posted earlier.
    The moment anyone posts on the boards, that post becomes a PERMANENT part of BF.c. Even if a post is deleted by the author (threads can not be deleted by members, but only by admins/mods in which case the following is also true), there is a permanent copy that all admins and mods can view. We can either leave deleted posts deleted or revive/edit them as we see fit for the betterment of the forums. This is a right reserved by BF.c and is stated in the rules.

Fyi: One of the options admins/mods have in their bag of tricks is something called changing thread ownership. I can think of one time in the past that one of the other mods changed the thread ownership of one of my threads to make it one of theirs. Since I believe in the collective here on BF.c, I have not complained about this happening. It also happened while I was on sabbatical from the forums, and I didn't notice it until quite a bit of time passed. My point is that once you post on BF.c, anything goes. Generally, it is considered bad form to do this unless requested by the OP, but it is obviously not unheard of. I just hope it is a rare occurence.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 08-28-2010 at 11:43 PM.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Okay. I moved most of our posts out of crdiscoverer's DIY thread into this new one. Its not perfect, but you can get the general gist of the ideas presented. (manticore33, I hope you don't mind me creating this thread under your name.)
    I really like the idea of changing the format of the quicklinks list to one similar to the two posted links by manticore33. I'd like some of you guys to run with this idea if you have the time. Let me know what you need from me. If you need thread ownership to edit the DIY thread, I am more than willing to do that. I'll save a copy of the original for a backup in case anything should go wrong. Let me know what you guys want to do.

For anyone else that doesn't know what we are talking about, here is the E39 DIY Quicklink List.
    E39 DIY Quick Links

Edit: On second thought, it might be easier to start a new thread and edit/add everything you need from the Quicklinks list and elsewhere. Either way, I'm here to help in any way I can.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 09-02-2010 at 12:16 AM.

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    lol we can't even get people to search or read the welcome thread...
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post
    lol we can't even get people to search or read the welcome thread...
    Very true!
    It sounds like these guys are ready to run with it. We'll see how it pans out. Its a little hard for me because the Quicklinks list is my baby, but one thing we can always count on is change.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Interesting...
    Someone educated, older than 18, and wants to benefit the forum...
    What a plus!
    LOL!

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …