Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Racing mesh upgrade...Inexpensive!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    This DIY is taking forever. At this rate, I will have passed my 7mm kidney stone before this project is finished.
    Thanks for documenting all this, A.
    Much appreciated! If anyone can do it and make it look good, you can.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Even though it's late and I'm tired, the project has reached it's climax. Here is the 2am pic of the gutter/race mesh. Remember that it's DARK cause its NIGHT so the flash illuminates the mesh more than it will be during normal daylight. Flame away if you must but I'm happy with the $14 result!

Here is the actual cut and edged piece (sorry, too tired to photo doc the whole thing). Basically measure the opening (approx 44"L and 3.5"H) and trim the mesh (lengthwise) to begin the edging process. Edge one side of the length, trim the mesh to the 3.5"H and then edge the other exposed length. Now do the ends...WHEW! Be careful, this stuff is soft.

Here it is installed. The only thing I had to do was remove the foglight access panels and trim the plastic semi-circle (part of the bolt cover) from the access panels. BTW, no glue was used as the license plate cover helps hold the mesh in place. Hope you enjoyed the ride...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Final look before this thread fades into oblivion...BUMP! It's been fun...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    E90 330i, E36 328i
    Looks good to me...but need better daytime pics.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDub View Post
    Hocus pocus make it in focus

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Exclamation

You creative bastard. That looks fantastic!
    Well done.

If you make me one for the lower grill in black, I'll pay you for it and for shipping.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 02-29-2008 at 04:49 PM.

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy

Question

i.....

cant........

see..........
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post

i.....

cant........

see..........
    +1 We can't end this thread w/o daytime pics.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSapphire View Post
    +1 We can't end this thread w/o daytime pics.
    Don't worry BlackSapphire, I will take some daytime pix and share with all! Hopefully I'll remember to use my skills and will take a couple different angles too.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    You creative bastard. That looks fantastic!
    Well done.

If you make me one for the lower grill in black, I'll pay you for it and for shipping.
    Thanks man (forgot to multiquote)!!

I told you where to get the stuff...DIY ya lazy Moderator! After messing around with edging this stuff, I realized why they charge $140 for just the lower bumper grill. It definitely requires calm patience...

Maybe, when we come to visit someday, we can work on it together.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 03-02-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: fixed

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Thanks man (forgot to multiquote)!!

I told you where to get the stuff...DIY ya lazy Moderator! After messing around with edging this stuff, I realized why they charge $140 for just the lower bumper grill. It definitely requires calm patience...

Maybe, when we come to visit someday, we can work on it together.
    I can live with that. How about this summer, say, on your B-day?

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    I can live with that. How about this summer, say, on your B-day?
    Coolness...did I give you enough time to pass that stone??

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Cool Yeah...it's worth it IMO.

OK...final pix taken during the day. Although she needs a bath, it doesn't look half bad for $15 and has withstood the open freeway test at WOT. I'm gonna put the saved $120 towards a new suspension or spend another $15 for the black poly and give it a try for contrast.

Peace...

My Cars
    99 LSB WB E39T S/C'd
    i don't know...i mean i got love and respects for these brothers anthony and jamie...but the final product still looks like chicken wire to me man...i thought the sink drain was a bad idea...been hearing about a leaf blower being a cheaper alternative to a VF or Dinan charger...now this? maybe i just got issues with Home Depot and OSH...

so am i considered a hater now? will i be getting a TO? a spanking? will i be frowned upon? I hope not...cuz i tried to be very very politically correct on that one...

authorized distributors of:: carbon 8 :: mycarr
    authorized seller of :: linea corse :: miro design :: dp engineering

please don't hesitate to contact me for your BMW needs!
    AIM : eur0dyne || Yahoo : euro_dyne || MSN : eur0dyne
    Email : sales@euro-dyne.com || Phone : (714) 901-5080

My Cars
    1998 E39 535i
    its your car and if you like it thats the main thing./...

for me, looks a little ricey and i wouldnt do it - even for the $15

Dubs
    "In Dubs We Trust"

My Cars
    E90 330i, E36 328i
    Imo...its looks good but if I do it I would only do the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDub View Post
    Hocus pocus make it in focus

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Good job... looks like you took your time and did it cleanly.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by 415banker View Post
    i don't know...i mean i got love and respects for these brothers anthony and jamie...but the final product still looks like chicken wire to me man...i thought the sink drain was a bad idea...been hearing about a leaf blower being a cheaper alternative to a VF or Dinan charger...now this? maybe i just got issues with Home Depot and OSH...

so am i considered a hater now? will i be getting a TO? a spanking? will i be frowned upon? I hope not...cuz i tried to be very very politically correct on that one...
    I hear you. I'm still on the fence about it behind the kidneys (I do think it looks better than seeing the aux. fan), but I really do like the lower grill mesh.
    BTW, you will not nor will you ever get a TO for respectfully expressing your opinion on this forum!

My Cars
    Silver '03 540i/6
    I'm with this all the way. You did a great job and kudos for the effort.

However, I wouldn't do it to mine, IMO it looks pretty cheap. That being said, it looks cheap on the Daytona Prototype cars raced in the Grand Am series, too. It is definitely the same stuff, though. Now, if I were going to the track, I would probably do this mod, leaving the grills out completely and painter's taping the whole front area to keep the rocks/clag out of my radiator and off my hood. So thanks much for the DIY post!

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by 415banker View Post

Thanks for the respect AND the slam. I like the sink drains too but how can you compare a leaf blower as a s/c to a little aluminum mesh covering ugly plastic background grillwork? I don't have any power to spank you officially but from my perspective, you are giving asthetic opinions and you drive a STATIONWAGON (albeit a very nice one). So do you want my opinion on those?!? KAPOW...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubs View Post
    its your car and if you like it thats the main thing./...

for me, looks a little ricey and i wouldnt do it - even for the $15

Dubs
    Thanks man so I guess the track bimmer I saw and mimicked (should've copied the photo and saved it) is also "ricey"?!? Well, I am half-Japanese so maybe I'm just attracted to rice.... BTW, it doesn't really bother me but you guys should watch the "rice" comments cause someone, someday is gonna take it the wrong way and call you racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by 98bimmer View Post
    Imo...its looks good but if I do it I would only do the grill.
    I thought about it until I saw it on another raceready bimmer and noticed how well it covered the fugly aux cooling fan/background. As I stated, I may give the black poly a try since it's so inexpensive to experiment.
    Thanks...I can be a bit meticulous (ahem...anal) at times, which actually makes it more difficult to tackle this type of project cause I want it to be PERFECT. This leaves the door wide open for procrastination! Fortunately I was able to push my instincts to the side and just do the damn thing. Thanks again for noticing the effort I put forth to make it look as "professional" as possible for a $15 investment...

Well guys, the response is actually no big surprise. I expected more to dislike it than like it but it appears to be the other way around, which makes me feel good. My point is that it is a fun DIY that is fairly easy and very inexpensive so if you like it...if not, don't do anything so no harm. It's not like I ruined your dreamy eyed chances at a s/c by convincing you to install a leaf blower instead. Life is short...have fun!

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Finally looked around so there would be some sort of comparison. Mine isn't nearly as fancy as the kit I've referenced but it does represent what I was trying to duplicate (although to a more subtle degree and for WAY less money): http://www.umnitza.com/product_info....3ae094ba3357d4

Think about it...drop $199 for the Umnitza kit OR $15 for a fairly decent DIY and some time. Personally, I've earmarked the saved money towards a suspension upgrade but ultimately, it's your choice...

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Anyone that looks at that thing for mare than 5 seconds will know it's home depot.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
    Anyone that looks at that thing for mare than 5 seconds will know it's home depot.

This looks like it from home depot^^^???

Does a true race mesh grill like in the photo above cut down on air intake and cooling?

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    This looks like it from home depot^^^???
    The Umnitza does not look like home depot but still looks like ass.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
    The Umnitza does not look like home depot but still looks like ass.
    I definitely do NOT want to cover the classic kidneys and want a black mesh for the bottom.

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    I definitely do NOT want to cover the classic kidneys and want a black mesh for the bottom.
    Possibly.

My Cars
    2003 540i - M-Sport
    not my thing...

but props on the creativity and use of imagination!
    2003 540i M-Sport - Sterling Grey/Black Leather
    GPS | PP | Rear Shades | Intravee II | Valentine 1 | 35w ProLumen HID Fog Lights w/3000k bulbs | 35% Formula One Pinnacle Series Ceramic Tint | Eisenmann Race Exhaust 2 x 83mm | Eibach Rear Sway Bar | Weichers Front Strut Tower Brace | Racing Dynamics CAI | Stealthone | Sound by Focal/JL Audio/Arc Audio

DPE Wheels for Sale....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5#post26952145

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast