Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest in a fully integrated A2DP Bluetooth solution?

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan
    I almost never use data on my phone which is why I like the BMW (and hopefully soon in your invention for E-38s with DSP ) voice recognition as it keeps prying ears out of my conversations on the road.
    Have never trusted google not to listen in and when every app you download wants to have complete control of your phones inner workings it just bothers me .
    I work nights so I don't feel like I miss too much of the worlds goings on and can always check in with the younger crew who are on their data 24/7.
    When I'm at home I use my PC on a hardline.

All I know is that when I use the R/T button after doing anything with the phone system, it brings up the last number I called and you can toggle through the names from there.
    I know you addressed this before somewhere but I take it that it would be not easy at all to utilize that usb port on your device for a potential source of music as in not streaming ?

Brian

Edit: Looking back at this it would I appear I'm a tad paranoid but it's mostly to do with being cheap and an old time pc user.
    I see little point at squinting at stuff on my breaks at work when I have a nice big screen at home to use and do so on my time off.
    But ya I still appreciate the not having to be connected to the internet to do hands free including voice!
    Last edited by Brian1960; 05-21-2019 at 08:24 AM. Reason: It seems I missed something

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian1960 View Post
    I almost never use data on my phone which is why I like the BMW (and hopefully soon in your invention for E-38s with DSP ) voice recognition as it keeps prying ears out of my conversations on the road.
    Have never trusted google not to listen in and when every app you download wants to have complete control of your phones inner workings it just bothers me .
    I applaud your rational distrust of Google/Siri/Insert Voice Assistant. I, personally, do not have any voice assistants enabled for similar reason. As such, I've never been much of a fan of voice recognition systems in general.

Anyways, I can certainly test the voice recognition functionality and see how viable it is so that I can add support for some basic commands (like Play/Pause/Next/Previous/Call xyz).

All I know is that when I use the R/T button after doing anything with the phone system, it brings up the last number I called and you can toggle through the names from there.
    I'm have to wire in my spare MFL to the I-Bus and do some testing with the stock TCU

I know you addressed this before somewhere but I take it that it would be not easy at all to utilize that usb port on your device for a potential source of music as in not streaming ?
    I'd be inclined to throw in a microSD card reader (USB is a giant PITA) for you folks that swear by your .mp3 files :P. However, the software support will not be there to begin with, and it may be some time before I get around to adding it. As with other extra features for the product, I make no guarantees about anything other than it working correctly as a Bluetooth streaming and hands-free calling adapter .

I can't find where I was asked, but just so everyone knows: Call "quality" when using the TCU emulation is not going to be much of an improvement over the Everest TCU. This has to do with the way that the car utilizes the audio signals provided by the TCU, which is out of my control.

Another small update: After some arm twisting, Future Electronics is working on fulfilling my order for the Qualcomm Clear Voice Capture licenses that I need. Once I verify they are viable, I'll be good to go as far as manufacturing obstacles are concerned. Still working on the "Rev C" and I'm moving to Ohio this weekend, so life is busy! Still hoping to be ready to take real orders sometime next month, but I will post back if there are any further delays.

Thanks!
    -Ted
    Last edited by t3ddftw; 05-21-2019 at 05:54 PM.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
    The BlueBus is capable of voice recognition, but I think it's much easier to just leave the task to your phones voice assistant (Siri / Google). As such, the "Long Press" event of the "Talking Head" button on the steering wheel will summon the assistant if HFP is enabled.

On that note, I have a ZCP E46 M3 and while I have Bluetooth, I have none of the steering wheel controls. What do the R/T and "Talking Head" buttons do?

My Everest TCU has been super reliable, but it's the later model Motorola unit and it was built in 2006.
    I should probably get those, I couldnt figure where to connect my BT antenna on the newer modules though

My Cars
    E38 740i Sport in Titan
    Sorry, duffus question I’m sure, but I have a 2000 e38 with 6 cd changer in the boot, will this currently work for me for streaming music through the stereo from an application such as Spotify? If so, do you post to the UK; it looks like a fairly light item.
    Thanks in advance

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jimrummy View Post
    Sorry, duffus question I’m sure, but I have a 2000 e38 with 6 cd changer in the boot, will this currently work for me for streaming music through the stereo from an application such as Spotify? If so, do you post to the UK; it looks like a fairly light item.
    Thanks in advance
    That will work perfectly, but you'll have to kick the 6-CD changer to the curb, unfortunately.

It will work with Spotify on your phone too, many of my beta users use that app

I can mail to the U.K. via USPS priority international flat rate ($26 U.S.D.)

My Cars
    E38 740i Sport in Titan
    That’s great thank you - just inputting my details for a pre-order, sorry but under Vehicle user interface what do I put please? I have a 2000 e38 with the small half screen, no mods of any kind, plus I’d love to add a mic so I can make hands free calls at a later date. Thanks for help - great work!

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)
    That’s great thank you - just inputting my details for a pre-order, sorry but under Vehicle user interface what do I put please? I have a 2000 e38 with the small half screen, no mods of any kind, plus I’d love to add a mic so I can make hands free calls at a later date. Thanks for help - great work!

In the Audio menu, does it show "DSP"?
    You should have a NAV unit in the trunk as well.

I would assume you have the Mk2 NAV, DSP and the 4x3 screen.
    Only question then is do you have the 6pin audio or the small Coax on the bottom of the CD changer. this unit supports both (I have both and am testing on both systems with the same board).

Bill-H
    1 E38, 1 E39, 2 E46's, 1 E65, 1 R22, 1 R75/5

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    You can simply select "Factory Navigation". This field was so that I could accurately configure each board before shipping them out, but I think I can automatically detect what you have pretty easily.

Thanks!
    -Ted

My Cars
    E38 740i Sport in Titan
    Will do, cheers Ted - very exciting - can’t wait

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    This is fantastic.

I just completed my Grom usb3 install, as good as that is for providing functionality, I am reluctant to rip the interior to run the BT mic and the aux cable to the front of the cabin from the trunk.

Also having trialled the BT on the Grom, the audio quality of the BT specifically at higher volume levels for music streaming purposes is quite bad (specifically compared to the aux and usb clarity)
    That is clearly down to a2dp, which was never intended for audiophile quality.

I am highly excited about this project, subscribed.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dillalade; 06-10-2019 at 07:53 AM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dillalade View Post
    This is fantastic.

I just completed my Grom usb3 install, as good as that is for providing functionality, I am reluctant to rip the interior to run the BT mic and the aux cable to the front of the cabin from the trunk.

Also having trialled the BT on the Grom, the audio quality of the BT specifically at higher volume levels for music streaming purposes is quite bad (specifically compared to the aux and usb clarity)
    That is clearly down to a2dp, which was never intended for audiophile quality.

I am highly excited about this project, subscribed.

Thanks!

As you stated, A2DP is not for audiophiles. However, the BlueBus does offer HD Audio streaming and the output features a really high quality DAC from Texas Instruments, unlike the BT3 which directly outputs audio from the BT module using a "good enough" built-in DAC. IMO, it is very acceptable from a quality standpoint.

Thanks!
    -Ted

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    Thanks!

As you stated, A2DP is not for audiophiles. However, the BlueBus does offer HD Audio streaming and the output features a really high quality DAC from Texas Instruments, unlike the BT3 which directly outputs audio from the BT module using a "good enough" built-in DAC. IMO, it is very acceptable from a quality standpoint.

Thanks!
    -Ted
    Absolutely cannot wait.

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    Any update on release

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dillalade View Post
    Any update on release

Sadly, I haven't been able to find the time to finish the hardware revision I'm working on, so it's still pending. Once I get that done, it'll be a few weeks til I start taking orders (2-3) and 2-4 weeks to get the boards back from manufacture.

Sorry, and thanks to everyone for their patience!

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan
    Take your time and do it right.
    Still can't believe how handy this thing is.

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    Sadly, I haven't been able to find the time to finish the hardware revision I'm working on, so it's still pending. Once I get that done, it'll be a few weeks til I start taking orders (2-3) and 2-4 weeks to get the boards back from manufacture.

Sorry, and thanks to everyone for their patience!
    Sounds good

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Hi Mike,
    Did you try this with your 98 E38? I have the same set up NAV & DSP and a 1998 with a 09/97 build date.
    Black 1998 740IL, DSP, Front Heated Seats, DSP, DSC, NAV, CD, Rear Power Sunshade,
    16x9 Monitor, Nav IV, Staggered M Series Wheels, Facelift Tail Lights...

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by peibmw View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Did you try this with your 98 E38? I have the same set up NAV & DSP and a 1998 with a 09/97 build date.
    Given the information in your signature, It sounds like you have a C43 radio, which is fully compatible with this solution

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan
    How are things progressing lately?
    Anything at all to reveal on the software front?

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    How are things progressing lately?
    Anything at all to reveal on the software front?
    Things have been progressing on the hardware side! I've got new PCBs coming in today, which should be the last of the changes to the board.

Software side, Comfort blinkers have been made better on the E46/Z4. Beyond that, not much has changed there as I haven't had the time with all the hardware changes .

I'll be trading boards with you as soon as the new batch is ready so that you can test on your car

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan
    Awesome as usual!

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5
    dillalade, keep in mind you can use the OE mic with the GROM. With that said, it is true that the audio quality isn't the best.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Any Updates? I really would rather install this over a Grom setup.

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by nmlss2006 View Post
    dillalade, keep in mind you can use the OE mic with the GROM. With that said, it is true that the audio quality isn't the best.
    It's not easy to use the OE microphone with the GROM :/. You need to provide 5v DC to it over a 2k ohm resistor and then de-couple the DC using a 47uF bi-polar capacitor. My board has these components on-board.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillife View Post
    Any Updates? I really would rather install this over a Grom setup.
    Yes! I ran into some issues caused by the additional functionality I added to the board -- minor stuff like there being a "crashing" noise when playback would begin. I ended up sorting these issues out.

I have a single beta unit to another user as it stands. Right now, I'm working on an issue where-in the other end of the call is able to hear an echo of themselves if the volume of the call is too high.

If this turns out to be a hardware issue, then I will need to have another run of PCBs made which will be to me next week. Otherwise, I will send a few more beta units out over the weekend and we will deal with the echoing by tuning the call volume and echo cancellation algorithm.

Thanks!
    -Ted

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Yes! I ran into some issues caused by the additional functionality I added to the board -- minor stuff like there being a "crashing" noise when playback would begin. I ended up sorting these issues out.

I have a single beta unit to another user as it stands. Right now, I'm working on an issue where-in the other end of the call is able to hear an echo of themselves if the volume of the call is too high.

If this turns out to be a hardware issue, then I will need to have another run of PCBs made which will be to me next week. Otherwise, I will send a few more beta units out over the weekend and we will deal with the echoing by tuning the call volume and echo cancellation algorithm.

Thanks!
    -Ted
    Glad to hear you're making progress!

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast