Thread: What is this? (Door Locking Mechanism)

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5

What is this? (Door Locking Mechanism)

Hey guys,
    For some reason, my drivers side door is no longer locking and I'm not sure why. I have the door panel off and I was looking around and pulled this out this piece; I can only assume that it has something to do with the locking mechanism...

Do you guys happen to know what this piece is and if it has anything to do with the door locking? Thanks for any input.
    -Ryan
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    '92 850i/6-Euro Wannabe
    Indeed it does Ryan...it's what attaches directly to the actuator and the locking pin. Easily fixed with the panel off, but I see it's broken from the main body...you'll need to get the whole assembly back from your parts car.
    Last edited by rcrad6653; 02-16-2011 at 07:48 PM.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Hey Randy, thanks. I'll probably give you a call tomorrow morning to discuss a little more in detail. Thanks again for everything.
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Now it's an epidemic. The latch arm of the door handle pivot has snapped off.

Fyi, I've made a tentative decision to create the jig, buy material and build a field service kit, but it goes onto my priority list and I won't get to this for two or three months. No guarantees.

Reference
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1594483

My Cars
    '92 850i/6-Euro Wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziminskas View Post
    Hey Randy, thanks. I'll probably give you a call tomorrow morning to discuss a little more in detail. Thanks again for everything.
    I'll be on a plane..... after 4 PM EST plz.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-Speed, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper
    Now it's an epidemic. The latch arm of the door handle pivot has snapped off.

Fyi, I've made a tentative decision to create the jig, buy material and build a field service kit, but it goes onto my priority list and I won't get to this for two or three months. No guarantees.

Reference
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1594483
    More than likely, I'll stick to buying oem; but if you can create a device that will solve/fix the problem, then props yo you.

Randy, sounds good.
    Mano Nešioti Rankos

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziminskas View Post
    More than likely, I'll stick to buying oem; but if you can create a device that will solve/fix the problem, then props yo you.

Randy, sounds good.
    Don't waste your time with trying to fix this. I went through this and it is quite hopeless. I ended up buying a used good one so do yourself a favor and take the direct route Another crappy BMW design.