Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E34 Fusible Links, qty and locations

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy

Exclamation E34 Fusible Links, qty and locations

Hi -

I have been having issues with my touring which seem related to the fusible link or some other mysterious gremlin. Can anyone please chime in and tell where ALL the fusible links are located in the E34 Touring 540 / 530? Can we list them, how many and where located for the different models and maybe sticky this somewhere?
    E34 525 SEDAN
    E34 530 SEDAN
    E34 535 SEDAN
    E34 540 SEDAN
    E34 M5 SEDAN
    E34 525 TOURING
    E34 530 / 540 TOURING - Under Rear Seat Bench in behind battery
    E34 540 TOURING
    E34 M5 TOURING
    Last edited by shogun; 06-18-2021 at 08:35 PM.

My Cars
    1991 525I
    I know the link was down on the FAQs section when I was looking earlier.. so this would be helpful. I could use this info also.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by lepre003 View Post
    I know the link was down on the FAQs section when I was looking earlier.. so this would be helpful. I could use this info also.
    Sadly, it is no longer hosted in the FAQ section

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Damn, no love for us m30 guys.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerhoze View Post
    Damn, no love for us m30 guys.
    Opps... my bad. That was silly of me, especially considering I have owned two of them - one of which saved my life.

My Cars
    1990 535i
    89-90 e34:

80 amp in right side of engine compartment
    50 amp Below RH side of rear seat (connects to the battery terminal)

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    very easy, always very close to the battery. So in case the battery is in engine room, just follow the battery cable and usually they are in shrink plastic. Otherise under rear seat where the battery is.
    On my E32 750 I have 2 of them, 1 in a plastic box behind the battery under rear seat, the other one in shrink plastic near the battery on the battery cable.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/kazam/735i%20FL.JPG
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/kazam/P1010075.JPG
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/kazam/P1010076.JPG

what I found, cracked http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/s...ible_E32_1.jpg
    Last edited by shogun; 06-18-2021 at 08:37 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    89 525iA RIP, 90 525I
    I had the same a issue as shogun couple weeks ago, mine was "in" the cable. Not wanting to replace the cable got a fuse holder from a Benz in the scrap yard and mounted it next to the battery. Now I can easily keep and eye on the fuse and replace as needed. FWIW

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by bolloc View Post
    89-90 e34: 80 amp in right side of engine compartment.50 amp Below RH side of rear seat (connects to the battery terminal)
    Which models? Do you know? Where in the engine compartment exactly please? With the circuits in that box by the firewall or somewhere else?

Shogun - Do you know if any post 1990 E34's have more than one fusible link?

Quote Originally Posted by E34x2 View Post
    I had the same a issue as shogun couple weeks ago, mine was "in" the cable. Not wanting to replace the cable got a fuse holder from a Benz in the scrap yard and mounted it next to the battery. Now I can easily keep and eye on the fuse and replace as needed. FWIW
    What model and year is your car?
    Last edited by shogun; 06-18-2021 at 08:38 PM.

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i
    My 1995 e34 525i sedan has 2 links. 80 amp in a black holder mounted to the floor pan towards the boot, opposite the battery. Battery under the rear seat. There is also a 50 amp behind the carpet on the same side as the battery. Only about 18 inches or so from the positive terminal. Sit in the rear seat and it is located adjacent to your right outer ankle. This link has no housing as such but is encased in heatshrink. This one is soldered in-line unlike the 80 amp which is replaced by removing two bolts. I'm in Australia so the vehicle is RH Drive. Cheers. Weisebar.

What problems have you been having and why do you think that they are related to the fusible links.Cheers. Weisebar
    Last edited by Weisebar; 09-24-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Too Many
    I think I need to do the links in my 525.. Maybe I'll look into this on Sunday. I need to get productive

My Cars
    1990 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by kesslerbmw View Post
    I think I need to do the links in my 525.. Maybe I'll look into this on Sunday. I need to get productive
    Why? Are you experiencing weird electrical gremlins?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    As a preventive measure I have the 80A fuse now at home.
    Better all check their fuses, I have seen also on parts cars a lot of defcetive ones = already have haircracks, maybe they still worked (sometimes).
    My wrenching buddy had a similar problem on his E31 850, that also has 2 of these fuseable links. His wife complained a lot. Sometimes the car worked well, then when she wanted to restart the car after a short stop, no go.
    Turned out that one of these fuses had a haircrack. Carefully check them, on the ones screwed on usually the cracks are starting under/around the bolts.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1990 535i
    Good point! I had one go on my CBX at 28yrs, lucky for me they have a spare, It basically disintegrated. I think this winter I will do the same, replace them.
    Last edited by shogun; 06-18-2021 at 08:39 PM.

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i
    Sorry guys. Gave you a bum steer. The 50 amp is only about 6 inches from the + terminal. You don't need to pull up the carpet. It's just inside the space where the battery lives. Cheers Weisebar.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by Weisebar View Post
    My 1995 e34 525i sedan has 2 links. 80 amp in a black holder mounted to the floor pan towards the boot, opposite the battery. Battery under the rear seat. There is also a 50 amp behind the carpet on the same side as the battery. Only about 18 inches or so from the positive terminal. Sit in the rear seat and it is located adjacent to your right outer ankle. This link has no housing as such but is encased in heatshrink. This one is soldered in-line unlike the 80 amp which is replaced by removing two bolts. I'm in Australia so the vehicle is RH Drive. Cheers. Weisebar.

What problems have you been having and why do you think that they are related to the fusible links.Cheers. Weisebar
    No chance of getting pictures of these links is there? My car experiences intermittent wipers issues. Sometimes they work, sometimes they won't. If I unplug and replug the relay, it sometimes fixes it. Also... bumps can affect it, thus indicating to me there is a loose short somewhere which could also be affecting my Cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by kesslerbmw View Post
    Can you get pics please? What year 525?

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    As a preventive measure I have the 80A fuse now at home.
    Better all check their fuses, I have seen also on parts cars a lot of defcetive ones = already have haircracks, maybe they still worked (sometimes).
    My wrenching buddy had a similar problem on his E31 850, that also has 2 of these fuseable links. His wife complained a lot. Sometimes the car worked well, then when she wanted to restart the car after a short stop, no go.
    Turned out that one of these fuses had a haircrack. Carefully check them, on the ones screwed on usually the cracks are starting under/around the bolts.
    That is a good idea, by the way, are you referring to actual fuses or the fusible links?

My Cars
    '89 525iauto /'92 525i5s
    pics of an '89 m20 (battery in engine compartment)

80A fuse near the battery / RH shock tower

50A fuse under the seat

-Tim A

295,000km

My Cars
    Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by bolloc View Post
    Why? Are you experiencing weird electrical gremlins?
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1389355

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I dropped by Century West BMW today bought their last two Fusible Links. Their parts guy is ON DA BALL! As soon as I mentioned Fusible Link, he responds with the 80 amp fuse under the seat.

In case your local dealer is confused, you may want to use that term - 80 amp fuse under the seat by the battery. I will install it tomorrow and see if anything improves.

From what this guy said, there is only one fusible link in the 540 and 530 models.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735i
    Hello guys... been using your forum for months and it has been a great help. But I'm stuck on this one so I figure I'd become a member and become part of the group. Having the same issue with my 735i, checked both fusible links and they are good. When i try to open the windows, sunroof, or automatic doors I can hear the relay clicking under the seat and I checked all the fuses. Is there another step I can take before I give my overpriced mechanic my money? Sorry if I sound like i don't have a clue.... I don't... Thanks. And thanks for this forum!

My Cars
    89 525iA RIP, 90 525I
    Welcome to the board.
    Sounds like bad contacts in relay. Might try searching the forum on main relay. I recall reading about issues like this but can't recall specifics. Maybe others have ideas.
    GL

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    AFAIK, there is only one "fusible link" in all E34's - an 80-amp-rated "master fuse" that sits in the positive battery cable, under the rear seat, in a black plastic cover roughly the size of a lighter. It's a single blade of metal that over time develops cracks, leading to voltage drops and the resulting mysterious electric gremlins. A what, 2-dollar part that takes 5 minutes to replace. Do it.

My Cars
    e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by millinghd View Post
    Hello guys... been using your forum for months and it has been a great help. But I'm stuck on this one so I figure I'd become a member and become part of the group. Having the same issue with my 735i, checked both fusible links and they are good. When i try to open the windows, sunroof, or automatic doors I can hear the relay clicking under the seat and I checked all the fuses. Is there another step I can take before I give my overpriced mechanic my money? Sorry if I sound like i don't have a clue.... I don't... Thanks. And thanks for this forum!
    I had window troubles recently, and swapping in a cleaned up switch cluster fixed it. I could hear something click in the door, but still not work. With the new switch it's working again.
    No current BMWs.
    1994 Roadmaster Wagon
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i
    Hi Moroza. I think you will find that there are two fusible links in the e34.80amp and 50amp See replies to this thread for the location of the 50 amp. Cheers. Weisebar

My Cars
    1990 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Weisebar View Post
    Hi Moroza. I think you will find that there are two fusible links in the e34.80amp and 50amp See replies to this thread for the location of the 50 amp. Cheers. Weisebar
    Not all models though, this is one of those cases where lumping all the e34 5 series cars together and generalizing doesn't work. I was going to mention the 50 amp, but couldn't remember which ones have them. Generally located in the engine bay ahead of the drivers footwell I think.

Haha I'm loosing it, it is in this thread, and I posted it, duh!
    Last edited by bolloc; 10-08-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: moron moment recorded for posterity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast