My Cars
    E30s

E53 4.4: M62 or N62 debate

I know this topic has been brought up a few times but info is inconsistent and outdated. I need a tow vehicle for ~4,000lb boat/trailer and I am trying to decide between the M62 or N62 E53. I am open to a newer X5 but prefer the body of the E53 as appreciate having less electronics and crap to go wrong than later models. Researching the pros and cons this is what I believe is generally agreed:

M62: more reliable but less power and stuck with pre-facelift models. Get the 2003 if going M62
    N62: more power and better fuel economy but less reliable mainly due to more complex management and worse coolant system design. Tranny is worse than M62's. Most common expense (if lucky) is intermediate levers. Get the 2006 if going N62

Is this accurate? I would rather give up a little power for more reliability but I'm sure there is more to it. What else am I missing? What preventative maintenance should I make sure has been recently done or need to do myself if buying either one? Is a '09 35d the real answer to my question?
    Last edited by fronton; 04-24-2014 at 10:59 AM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Get the best of either that you find. I would recommend not getting caught up in this game because you could find great or horrible examples with either of the engines.

The N62 boogie man seems to be the intermediate levers...but the M62TU has its boogie man, too...the timing chain guides. Both of these issues get discussed a lot...and any used vehicle is going to have its issues. Just try to select one that appears to be in good shape...and spend the money on a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) when you think you've found "the one". That will be the best $100 -$200 you could spend...even if it means walking away from the deal if the PPI finds way more issues than what you want to deal with...$200 now...or $2000 later.

We could sit here and go back and forth with the failings of each engine or model...but again, try not to get caught up...and remain level headed in your search. Be prepared to walk away when your head is saying "no"...but your gut is saying "yes". If the PPI shows a huge list...don't let that scare you either. Look at it and determine what needs to be done right away, what can be put off for later, what can you do your self (DIY), and what would you have to pay to have done.

It's all a crap shoot...used vehicles are what they are...be prepared to maintain/repair what's worn out...or is going to wear out. And know that we're here to help you through.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E30s
    ^ thank you very much, I appreciate the advice. Is it better to try any find one with less than 80k miles before any major repairs or between 100-110k after most of the initial repairs have been done and have solid service records?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    A service history (if the owner has it) would be a better barometer...a well maintained X with an owner that stayed on top of maintenance, and took extremely good care of the vehicle, but has higher mileage, may be a better buy than an X with less miles but an owner that rode her hard & put her away wet...and actually neglected it until it was time to sell...then had the X detailed and the latest issue fixed but now wants to dump & walk before the repair/maintenance list starts growing.

At this point, mileage is not the only thing that takes its toll...so does age...and a 2004 with less than 80k miles still has 10 years of aging parts. What's the difference between an 80 yr old virgin & an 80 yr old whore...they both are 80 yrs old.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    A service history (if the owner has it) would be a better barometer...a well maintained X with an owner that stayed on top of maintenance, and took extremely good care of the vehicle, but has higher mileage, may be a better buy than an X with less miles but an owner that rode her hard & put her away wet...and actually neglected it until it was time to sell...then had the X detailed and the latest issue fixed but now wants to dump & walk before the repair/maintenance list starts growing.

At this point, mileage is not the only thing that takes its toll...so does age...and a 2004 with less than 80k miles still has 10 years of aging parts. What's the difference between an 80 yr old virgin & an 80 yr old whore...they both are 80 yrs old.
    Lol! Love that. The answer is std count.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
    Lol! Love that. The answer is std count.
    Thanks...I laughed, too...I didn't even remember writing that last line.

My Cars
    E53/E46
    Sorry for reviving this old thread. I need some input if I could swap the M62 to N62 engine. Right now, I have 2003 with bad M62 engine and I found a N62. I appreciate all information I can get. Thank you.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Alika808 View Post
    Sorry for reviving this old thread. I need some input if I could swap the M62 to N62 engine. Right now, I have 2003 with bad M62 engine and I found a N62. I appreciate all information I can get. Thank you.
    How much money do you have to put into a project like that? You're talking about putting a new generation double VANOS engine (the N62) into an e53 with the old generation single VANOS M62TU engine. You also have other technological differences like the AWD system & no auxiliary fan (in front of the radiator).

Again, anything can be done with enough money and know-how...but if you're looking for a simple plug-n-play...I'd recommend looking into engine bay dimensions, and front end suspension set-up between the two set-ups to see how much has to be changed or done to make it all fit & work.

{N62}

{M62TU}
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-03-2018 at 10:33 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would go with the old style v-8

My Cars
    85' 635
    Just find a used M62 for $1500 or less, swap it in and be done with it. If you want more HP then sell your X after the swap and buy a 4.8is or X5M. I don't care who you buy it from make sure it's clean and has been maintained. Don't pay that much for a grease trap unless the seller will warranty it. I would replace timing change guides and all seals and gaskets so prepare to drop another $1000 on those.
    85 635CSi (the Bomber), 87 DINAN /// M6 (SOLD)

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Sorry to revive an old thread. Does the transmission mate? I mean, if one comes across a N62 transmission, will.it bolt behind a M62TU ?

Enviado desde mi SM-N920G mediante Tapatalk
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    F31 MSport
    Different torque converters
    2016 328ix | Wagon | M-Sport | Alpine White | Black | iND | 513M | AC Schnizter | MPerformance |
    2005 330CiC | Sparkling Graphite | Black | 6MT | ZHP
    2004///M3 | Individual Sterling Gray | Imola Red | 6MT | Eisenmann | Style 163M | SOLD
    2011 X5 35d | Black Sapphire | Nevada Brown Cinnamon | Sports Package |
    Totaled
    2009///M3
    | Interlagos Blue | Pallidum Silver | DINAN | MPerformance | DCT | SOLD
    2002///M3 | Steel Gray Metallic | Imola Red | 6MT | Convertible| SOLD
    2006 X5 4.8iS | LeMans Blue Metallic | Creme Beige | SOLD
    2006 ///M3 | Silver Gray | Black | Competition Package (ZCP) | 6MT | SOLD
    2000 ///M5 | Oxford Green Metallic II | Caramel Nappa Leather | BMW Individual Black Birch Trim | SOLD
    2003 X5 4.6iS | Black Saphhire Metallic | Black Sport | SOLD
    2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Gray | Terracotta | SOLD

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
    Different torque converters
    I was thinking manual from a N62 behind a M62

Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    BMW E70 4.8
    N62 did not have manual transmissions which can be combined with transfer case, RWD only.

Same as M62 BTW

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdmonton View Post
    N62 did not have manual transmissions which can be combined with transfer case, RWD only.

Same as M62 BTW
    It did in E60's. I know this is not the correct subforum but's the only one in which I found N-M62 compare questions regarding interchange of parts in the drivetrain

Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    BMW E70 4.8
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    It did in E60's.
    E60 with n62 were rear wheel drive only. You can not use it with the transfer case. The back of the tranny is different in AWD vehicles.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdmonton View Post
    E60 with n62 were rear wheel drive only. You can not use it with the transfer case. The back of the tranny is different in AWD vehicles.
    Thanks Mike. It's for a 540i. So rwd-rwd cars, M62 auto hypothetical conversion to manual using N62 transmission. Reason why: I hate getrag

Diehard E39 driver.