Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Alpina Restoration

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    This makes me envious...if I could ever get my engine that nice I'd get a transparent hood. Gr8 job!

Mark850 is offline Life begins at 145mph.... Moderator
    My Cars
    91 850i/'67 Nova SS
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Mark. Hope all is well with the everyone.
    He's doing a little better Rog.. May take him years to recover from the stroke..Keep those pics coming, she's gonna be a beauty....

1991 850i,80k miles,Wokke2000 Software,M3 Style Trunk Lip Spoiler,35% Tint,Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors,Limiters Disabled,1.5 inch Drop,AC Schnitzer Lower Front Spoiler,Mark850 design Roof Spoiler,HRE Comp90 Wheels 19x11.5 & 19x9.5, 295/30/19 245/35/19, Dinan Stage 2 Adjustable Sway Bars.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    7/7/13 Update
    -------------
    Was able to get some more things done over the 4th weekend. It seems unfair though...after cleaning and doing all the work, it seems like a lot if it is covered up...oh well . Here is a list of things I accomplished:

1. New dist caps and rotors, and placed the plug wires on
    2. Vacuum hoses
    3. New radiator, new radiator hoses, and new overflow tank installed.
    4. New fan clutch, fan placed
    5. I realized that after placing all the items that I had not installed the bracket for one of the hoses that is made to fit on the 2nd Alternator bracket, so off came the fan and lower radiator hose to put the bracket on, then back on....
    6. Replaced the refinished front horns with newly painted brackets and reran the wiring.
    7. Finally figured out how to replace the transmission mounts (thanks Timm for the write up I found from you), so went through the procedure. The Alpina Cats were in the way, so I dropped down the exhaust with the cats, and the associated heat shield was removed. Transmission bracket came out..so of course all were cleaned, and the mounting bracket was repainted then put back into position. Exhaust hanger coming off the back of the transmission was cleaned and placed.
    8. Cabin filters were replaced (the old ones were AWFUL!!!!), the housing was cleaned and put back on with all the bolts and screws which had been CAD plated again.
    9. Refinished DK motors were placed back on with new gaskets

Next will come the front end with all the housings, intakes, air filter housings and hoses, then the lights.....

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Update 7/29/13
    --------------
    Was able to do a few more things this Saturday.
    1. Cleaned and refitted the MAFs and airfilter housings
    2. Cleaned and fitted the Right and Left air boxes. For those who have never seen them out of the car, they are huge. I had one which the seam had partially split, so I repaired that.
    3. Cleaned and fitted the center intake air duct
    4. Cleaned and replaced the front bumper
    5. Cleaned and refitted the front crash sensors

I have decided to use Evans waterless coolant in the car, as everything was removed, all new hoses and heater core replaced, and the two drain plugs removed from the block for drainage. I have never used it before, but have researched it with very good results. There is a round sticker on the radiator cap, but I have a second cap without the sticker on it.

Next will come putting back together the front headlights. Everything was taken apart and the brackets were repainted when the car was painted.

Here are a few more pictures:

Right air filter housing and bracket

Left Air Filter box and bracket:

Bracket and Alpina Plate

Air Boxes and cross-car channel (this channel fits into the back side of the front bumper - most people never see it)

Air boxes and center vent duct installed with the bumper installed

Engine pics.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Coming together quite nicely...

How long has it been since this car was driven?

My Cars
    1991 850i / 6
    Bravo on the Evans Waterless Coolant Roger. A wise informed choice. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci
    Very nice RoG!

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci
    You know in most concours events you actually get penalized when you have the car cleaner and more perfect than factory, just sayin'

I've said it before, this is an example of how to complete a restoration project properly. Your attention to detail is amazing! Outstanding, just off the charts outstanding!
    I would love to see this beauty in person some day...

My Cars
    97 840Ci Individual
    I love that Alpina plate. Such a cool little detail

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultim8 View Post
    You know in most concours events you actually get penalized when you have the car cleaner and more perfect than factory, just sayin'

I've said it before, this is an example of how to complete a restoration project properly. Your attention to detail is amazing! Outstanding, just off the charts outstanding!
    I would love to see this beauty in person some day...
    There is stuff there...you just have to know where to look

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston1 View Post
    Coming together quite nicely...

How long has it been since this car was driven?
    It has not been driven in a little over 13 months

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by garylafortuna View Post
    Bravo on the Evans Waterless Coolant Roger. A wise informed choice. The positives far outweigh the negatives.
    It was the time to do is as the entire system was dry. Another positive is that the system runs very little pressure above normal. I have never used it, but have always been intrigued. I did a lot of research before deciding, including talking to one of the Evans engineers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lawlshane View Post
    I love that Alpina plate. Such a cool little detail
    That is the way they come from Alpina.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850. BMW 120D
    Nice work - Looks nice indeed. Love the details
    "Adversity cause some men to break; others to break records." -William A. Ward

"There" is no better a place than "here." When your "there" has become a "here", you will simply obtain another "there" that will again look better than "here."

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    This is pretty darn exciting. I would be nervous taking it out of the museum environment you're working in.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by tvjake2 View Post
    This is pretty darn exciting. I would be nervous taking it out of the museum environment you're working in.
    I appreciate your vote of confidence....but please let me assure you....my garage is no museum! It has stuff stuck in every nook and cranny. But, things are going back on the car now, so some of those shelves I bought at Lowes are beginning to empty out.

My Cars
    1993 850Ci, 2000 M5
    rogbmw,

As a new 8 owner this thread has been very inspirational, just love all the meticulous work that has gone into this project. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

As many have stated in other posts your project is something to aspire to!!!

My Cars
    Disco II 850i MERs 750il
    Are you going to drive it or put in a museum? If you are going to drive it you need to have a christening party with Dom Perignon. Then you'll have to fix and repaint the front bumper.

My Cars
    '94 850CSi, '85 M635CSi,
    OK Roger, you gotta drive it! Owning your former CSi and trying to maintain it as well as you did, both mechanically and cosmetically, I realize it can never compare to your new ride, but how can you resist the temptation to not take the Alpina for a spin? I hope when you're finished that you'll make the grand debut with another round of the 8 Gathering in Mt. Dora. Sue and I wish you cadmium-plated dreams.

My Cars
    BMW 850 CSi Individual
    Impressive. I want to do the same with my CSi. Maybe this year we will be lucky (me and my gf) and find a place to build a house. We have not found one yet, because my sweet gf understands my craving =))))) THE GARAGE. It's crucial if I want to cut down the extra money with the mechanic for the stuff that can be done by your self.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by silversunbeam View Post
    OK Roger, you gotta drive it! Owning your former CSi and trying to maintain it as well as you did, both mechanically and cosmetically, I realize it can never compare to your new ride, but how can you resist the temptation to not take the Alpina for a spin? I hope when you're finished that you'll make the grand debut with another round of the 8 Gathering in Mt. Dora. Sue and I wish you cadmium-plated dreams.
    Thanks for the comment George. You and Sue take excellent care of your cars, and we know our ex-CSi is in good hands. Don't worry - I will drive the Alpina, probably about as much as we did the CSi. We are working on when the next SE 8 Gathering will be too

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Update 8/26/2013
    -------------------
    Most of the engine compartment is "almost" done, so I have just ordered a few things to complete it and sent off several items to be replated. The headliner, sunroof cover, A and C pillars and rear deck are at the shop (Headliner Express - highly recommended) being recovered and custom installing a 3rd brake light surround. After reading Steffen's rebuild of his rear subframe, and knowing what I wanted to do in the rearend, my only choice was to drop the rear subframe. Not that hard to do since the exhaust is off the car. So...several hours later it was out and on the dolly. Granted the car will be 22 years old in September (original BMW Build date was 9/91, and the Alpina build date was 11/91), but I thought everything would be in really good shape - especially since the car only has 23,000 miles. Well...was I wrong. Rubber bushings wear out as much from age as use, and I have attached a couple of pictures. So what started out as a cosmetic refresh/repaint and replating of all the bolts has turned into a full blown replacement of all the bushings. I think I am way past my mission creep turning into the Indianapolis 500!

Rearend out:

A Clear Bottom!

One of the bad bushings:

Another one:

So...now just A LITTLE more work to do.......
    Last edited by rogbmw; 08-26-2013 at 04:18 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 850 CSi Individual
    I have the same problem. Low mileage, but the rubber...The rear axle its on the list, but next year...I love your LITTLE (big) work , its gold information for me. Thnx for keeping us updated.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Mr.Lazarescu; 08-27-2013 at 02:42 AM. Reason: double post

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    This is one of my favorite threads.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Roger,
    you might need to get a hold of Wolf for the upper wishbones, as those bushings are not available individually...

... you are definitely earning your SPM Status!! :-)
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    11/21/2013 Update
    ---------------------------

I have not been able to do much over the past couple of months - Marcia's mom passed away and we were gone quite a bit, then another very good friend passed away 2 weeks ago...

So this week I have finally been able to get some work done, and I worked my rearend off ! The rearend is all apart ready for painting, new bushings and replating the hardware. Some of those bolts were tight!

After removing the subframe top:

All the parts....
    Last edited by rogbmw; 11-22-2013 at 08:48 AM.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Looking good Roger!
    you will be amazed at how nice the car will handle after all that work.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast