Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Replacing brake booster - HELP!

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by savage217 View Post
    Found out there is no adjustment on the e36 brake pedal. Guys I am really on the fence with this. I dont wanna spend 400 dollars on a master cylinder and find out its the booster or something else. Ive talked to a lot of educated people and everyone thinks it sounds like a master cylinder issue and not a booster issue. Is it possible that the guys that replaced the booster's had air in the system all along and that since you need to take the master cylinder out and then bleed it, that there was air in the line somewhere all along? Its just hard to believe that a booster is the issue because frankly almost everyone and all signs point to the master cylinder.

Thanks a bunch.
    READ above. No one thinks the symptoms are that of a booster, but it worked.
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    SE-R, E36 325is
    Anyone have any results on changing the booster? How did it feel before? and How does it feel now?

I've got about 3-4 cars that have the squishy pedal on track feeling. They all have BBK or newly rebuilt stock brakes. Several have new Masters cylinders as well.
    Sponsors Needed, if interested contact me directly.

My Cars
    Does anyone have a part # or vendor they recommend for the booster? I looked on www.realoem.com and couldn't seem to find it.

My Cars
    98 M3 01 330Ci 98 318ti
    I have flushed and bled my brakes over and over. Even had James at RRT flush the ABS with the Autologic computer. Still had a soft mushy feeling pedal. Wonger says the booster will fix it. I hope to find out for sure.

I have my new booster in hand. I might be able to start on it tomorrow but I may not have time to finish it. I hope to have it done for a track day on the 15th.

My Cars
    '99 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dtothepowerofp View Post
    Does anyone have a part # or vendor they recommend for the booster? I looked on www.realoem.com and couldn't seem to find it.
    I got mine through Bimmerworld - give them a ring.

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronix View Post
    I have flushed and bled my brakes over and over. Even had James at RRT flush the ABS with the Autologic computer. Still had a soft mushy feeling pedal. Wonger says the booster will fix it. I hope to find out for sure.

I have my new booster in hand. I might be able to start on it tomorrow but I may not have time to finish it. I hope to have it done for a track day on the 15th.

Word. I really hope you get this done quick because I have a track day the 22nd. Good luck man!

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by dbbmwm3 View Post
    I got mine through Bimmerworld - give them a ring.
    Same thing. Bimmerworld set me up good.

If your supplier is WorldPac though, you are out of luck. James@RRT told me yesterday they ordered the last one in the country through WorldPac.
    Eric WONGer
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    98 M3 01 330Ci 98 318ti

My Cars
    98 M3 01 330Ci 98 318ti
    Done! I was able to work on it today and got it finished!

Replacing the brake booster has made a huge difference in the feel of the brake pedal! It's now firm and predictable, not mushy and vague like it was before. I'm a believer.

I completely removed the master cylinder and ABS unit together, I only had to undo the clutch feed line and the four lines coming out of the ABS unit. Then I was able to carefully coax the master cylinder and ABS unit out without having to separate them. With everything out of the way the booster was easy to get out. Under the dash was simple, remove the clip, pin and spring from the pedal and remove the four nuts holding the booster to the firewall.

I bled all four corners and got lots of bubbles. I think there still might be a little air in there but I ran out of fluid. I hope to get James at RRT to flush the ABS with the Autologic again and do another full bleed.

Look ma, no brakes!

The Culprit.

Part number.

New and old. You can see there is no adjustment on the clevis.

Master cylinder and ABS unit.

All done!

My Cars
    '99 E36 M3
    I bled all four corners and got lots of bubbles. I think there still might be a little air in there but I ran out of fluid.
    Don't forget to bleed the clutch too - I probably got the most bubbles out of that line. After bleeding, I also drove the car and engaged ABS a couple of times and rebled again.

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Wow. I bought a used master cylinder out of a m3 with 40k on it and hasnt been sitting a while. Im gonna throw that in and if I still have the low pedal, booster here I come. How long did it take you to do the whole job and how much of a pia was it?

Cant wait to hear the results after you are 100% done with the bleeding, etc.

My Cars
    98 M3 01 330Ci 98 318ti
    It took me about five hours total. It wasn't too bad, I took my time and didn't try to force anything.

I'll bleed the clutch when flushing the ABS. I'm looking forward to the final results also.

My Cars
    98 M3 01 330Ci 98 318ti
    All fixed. The brakes rock now. Replacing the booster was worth every penny and every bit of work.

My Cars
    E36 325i, E34 535iTm
    All fixed. The brakes rock now. Replacing the booster was worth every penny and every bit of work.
    Dammit! Now I have to spend more money. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ......

By the way, thanks for the tip on removing the MC/ABS pump together. Nice one.

-tammer (rapidly going broke, stupid track car)

My Cars
    Firm pedal?

Dammit, I was really hoping this wouldnt work so I wouldnt have to spend another $500. I have the same problem.

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Shit lol. Worst case I have to get a booster. Im probabaly just going to be getting a used one, mostlikely the one I am getting the master cylinder off of. It only had 40k on it and it hasent been sitting long, said the brakes were rock solid. Im gonna take my chances. Im replacing the master tommorrow. If it is still crap then I guess we have very conclusive evidence that the booster really is the problem area. Ill update tommorrow.

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Welp guys, I just replaced my master cylinder today and the brakes feel a heck of a lot better. The pedal is still a little low but the mushiness is gone and it doesnt seem like you need to apply as much pressure anymore. I am going to pressure bleed the system since I got the abs to kick in a few times and then report back, but so far so good. Fingers crossed

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    After a few days with the new master, the pedal still doesnt feel like its on par with a friend of mine's pedal in his m3. It still feels a little vague and that it needs a decent amount of weight to get the brakes to stop. It also seems like only my driver side abs kicks in. Its hard to tell but it seems that way. So just to reinterate, are these symptoms similar to people's problems who changed the booster and corrected the issue?
    I plan on throwing it in either way but it will help me sleep at night at least if the booster really did fix the issue.

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    After a few days with the new master, the pedal still doesnt feel like its on par with a friend of mine's pedal in his m3. It still feels a little vague and that it needs a decent amount of weight to get the brakes to stop. It also seems like only my driver side abs kicks in. Its hard to tell but it seems that way. So just to reinterate, are these symptoms similar to people's problems who changed the booster and corrected the issue?
    I plan on throwing it in either way but it will help me sleep at night at least if the booster really did fix the issue.
    "told you so"
    Eric WONGer
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
    "told you so"
    Hey if the booster was as easy as the mc was to replace I would have done that first. I bought a used master cylinder for a reason haha. Im just going to buy the used booster from the same m3 I got the mc from (40k miles on it and hasent been sitting long) Ill have the booster by tuesday so tuesday night will be a long night im guessing. Im going to need some more superblu as well. Just one other thing... I havent bled the clutch line since the intial bleed after replacing it with a ss line. Should I be bleed it again after this? Im sure it will help some but it ultimately only creates a bit of a mushy feeling in the brake pedal correct? I no longer seem to have that, it just has a long pedal travel and takes a lot of effort to really get the brakes to work. Thanks for everything guys, definately be reporting back with my results.

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Hey if the booster was as easy as the mc was to replace I would have done that first. I bought a used master cylinder for a reason haha. Im just going to buy the used booster from the same m3 I got the mc from (40k miles on it and hasent been sitting long) Ill have the booster by tuesday so tuesday night will be a long night im guessing. Im going to need some more superblu as well. Just one other thing... I havent bled the clutch line since the intial bleed after replacing it with a ss line. Should I be bleed it again after this? Im sure it will help some but it ultimately only creates a bit of a mushy feeling in the brake pedal correct? I no longer seem to have that, it just has a long pedal travel and takes a lot of effort to really get the brakes to work. Thanks for everything guys, definately be reporting back with my results.
    Def. bleed the clutch.

As you said though, replacing the booster is a pain.... might want to go new At least that was what was recommended to me.
    Eric WONGer
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
    Def. bleed the clutch.

As you said though, replacing the booster is a pain.... might want to go new At least that was what was recommended to me.
    Shit. I dont think ill have time to get a new one and put it in with enough of a cushion to make sure everything is perfect before the track day. Ill see if turner sells them.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6, 2006 30
    Just one other thing... I havent bled the clutch line since the intial bleed after replacing it with a ss line. Should I be bleed it again after this? Im sure it will help some but it ultimately only creates a bit of a mushy feeling in the brake pedal correct? I no longer seem to have that, it just has a long pedal travel and takes a lot of effort to really get the brakes to work.
    Bleeding the clutch won't do a thing for your brakes. The only thing the clutch and brake hydraulics share is a common fluid reservoir. And that reservoir is divided internally with plastic baffles such that you could could use tin snips to sever your clutch line and still not lose your brakes.

It's a good idea, for the health of your clutch slave and clutch master cylinders, to bleed the clutch every couple years with the 7mm bleed screw on your slave cylinder. But it's not going to do anything to address the problems you've described in this thread.
    Dave Zeckhausen

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Quote Originally Posted by DZeckhausen View Post
    Bleeding the clutch won't do a thing for your brakes. The only thing the clutch and brake hydraulics share is a common fluid reservoir. And that reservoir is divided internally with plastic baffles such that you could could use tin snips to sever your clutch line and still not lose your brakes.

It's a good idea, for the health of your clutch slave and clutch master cylinders, to bleed the clutch every couple years with the 7mm bleed screw on your slave cylinder. But it's not going to do anything to address the problems you've described in this thread.
    Yea i didnt think it would but people say every now and then that you get an air bubble here and there that could have contributed to the issue. I just did the clutch this time last year with a new slave and clutch line so I dont think I have an issue. Cant wait to replace the booster and give you my conclusions.

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Ok guys another crappy pedal solved. Rack another point up for bad booster. My brakes are amazing now, feels like a new car

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast