Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: e36 M3 - IP Build Chronicles

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by seatown88 View Post
    how did you like anacortes? that is one of my favorite spots. I look forward to hearing about how the car/you did at O-fest.
    Bill - Anacortes was great. Just sat on the patio looking over the water and harassing crabs down by the beach. BTW, saw a pic of you on the cork board.

Quote Originally Posted by e9nine View Post
    Hey Mario! I finally watched the video and like how you were happy upon seeing your time

Did you replace the AKG hardware completely? I will be redoing mine totally sometime soon and contemplating on using a fresh bolt and nut combo. I am trying to consider options for a "dampened" washer.

Great accomplishments amidst all the hurdles that popped up - the reward is great I see...
    Thanks E. Yes I replaced the crappy AKG hardware. Hex bolts with washers and lock washers. Huge improvement.

Spent the last 2 days at the Glen with GVC trying to get a feel for the car there. Additionally this was also my wife's first ever track event which was very fun and special. It was great to see her progress in speed, confidence and skill throughout the 2 days. Im very proud of her.

There have been some changes since last summit last month.

Annual tech - car passed
    Proper corner balance and alignment
    BW World challenge airbox
    AA Race Exhaust

To start the whole event was fun with some frustrating moments. Little things led to loosing some track time. Growing pains I guess as I start life life with a race car.

Session one - one lap out, car starts misfiring. Running rough. Bring it in. What has changed? Airbox and catless header back exhaust. ECU had rear O2 sensors flashed out. Pulled codes - cylinder 1 misfsire. Cleared codes and CE light. Chalked it up to adaptation. Car ran fine from that point on.

Session 2 - Flawless, the car flat out hauls ass. Had to get used to the new alignment. Very neutral and balanced.

Session 3 - Strap in. Start car. Oil pressure gauge reads 0 psi. Water and oil temp are ok. Crap. Stop car, restart. Same. Get out, pop hood and have a look see. Looks normal. Nothing leaking, no funny smells. Since I still have the OEM oil pressure sender and the idiot light was not on, I chalked the zero gauge read as a dead oil pressure sender. Dead due to vibration. 2 years old and bolted directly to a edge motorworks oil distribution block. Lost 10 minutes of track time, but the car ran like a rabbit on red bull.

Between session 3 and 4 I had to service the front brakes on my wifes car as she was starting to expereince fade. I kept her car as stock as possible to that she could maximise her learning. Unfortunately my executed upgrade over stock pads to hawk HPS was a bad one. New PF01's and a front caliper bleed and she was back in the game. My buddy Ryan and I tackeled one side each and got her car done in 15 minutes.

Session 4 - worrying about 2 cars caused me to make a very dumb mistake. While I thought to check tire pressures on my car, I never did. I paid the price for that aversight by loosing more than half a session. I let the pressures of the R888's rise to 41 psi. After 2 laps I felt the tires fall off in T5, so I backed off to give them some time to recover and they did, slightly, then trailing into T11, the car instantly lost some composure with some oversteer and felt like it was gliding.

I was already commited to T11 so I had no chance to get into pit row. Took a slow lap around to bring it in, mentally listing potential flaults . I wasnt quite sure what the hell was going on so my belief is that whenever something odd happens, I come in. Get out, start checking the car against my intial list. In the meantime Vince Leo comes over to check out the car and we start talking about the issue.

Turns out it was a confluence of events.
    Cause 1. Ive had problems getting the steering rack properly bled despite multiple tries. At the very same moment the car got funny, I went from manual steering to full power.

Cause 2. Not keeping track of pressures over the course of the day. By the time I checked the tires, prsssures were down to 41.. I could only imagine how much higher they were.

Day 2, Session 1: Cool, overcast. Car ran wonderfully. Traffic makes clean laps impossible. Come in, pop the hood and notice engine coolant on my radiator air duct. Trace it back to the rad drain plug. Vibration had loosened it enough to start leaking. Tightened that bad boy down.

Session 2: Get out, build speed over 2 laps and finally have no one ahead of me. After T1 track out I start my first full throttle run up the esses, flying down the backstraight toward the braking zone at 130 when I see the black flag come out - it wasnt furled and pointed at me, so something much more serious happened. Slow down and start my crawl down the chute until I saw the black/yellow flag combo at T6 track out. I notice a wheel at the bottom of the esses, then at the 100 ft brake marker, as I look up the toe, a furiously waving yellow, then as I make my turn in, 3/4 up I see a car in the middle of the track, minus a wheel.

Pit in, followed by a cancelled session.

Session 3: Mid day it start to rain. I debate wheter or not to run. I havent had a rain session in years. Then remembered the rain tire discussion from last week and specifically Dr. Watt's advice to JClark.

An friend of mine recently acquired IP car and wanted to feel the difference between mine and his (same suspension). We went out in the rain and over the course of a few wet laps built up some speed and learning the rain line.

Had a blast and was amazed how much grip is out there, even with nearly bald r888s. Even more amazing is how much water got into the car and was then sloshing around especially under braking.

Session 4: Went out one more time in the rain by myself. Built up more speed this time around but when I hydroplaned under braking toward the T8 turn in, I decided to call it a day.

Yes the event had its frustrating moments, but despite those, I recognized that I need to make some preflight routine changes. While I believe my car is above average mechanical condition, it is not imune to some bugs.

More importantly, as a one man show I now recognize the need for a pre-session checklist. So many things occupy ones mind which occasionally allow simple but important things to slip.

With regards to the exhaust and airbox, it a wonderfull combination. Whole the car is wickedly loud on the outside, inside IMO, its very tolerable. The combined tone of the BW race box, M50 manifold and AA race exhaust (using the straight pipe) is for a lack of a better word amazing.

The combination changed the powerband of the engine. Definately much more power up top, but still ok mid range and very linear from top to bottom. I find that I run out of revs much faster and to set up for some corners (especially for a pass on the following straight), some of which I could take in 4th with adequate torque, now have to be taken in 3rd. Revs have to be kept up to stay in the power band. Engine revs much faster.

My Cars
    2011 Tahoe, 2011 335is
    Keep an eye on the exaust tip on the AA Race Exhaust. They have a tendency to break the welds where the tip is securect to the flange exiting the muffler. The tip on my first setup cracked and fell off at the track. I've seen this on a few other cars running the same AA setup. Luckily AA was very understanding and replaced it under warranty after I sent them some pics.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnymac View Post
    Keep an eye on the exaust tip on the AA Race Exhaust. They have a tendency to break the welds where the tip is securect to the flange exiting the muffler. The tip on my first setup cracked and fell off at the track. I've seen this on a few other cars running the same AA setup. Luckily AA was very understanding and replaced it under warranty after I sent them some pics.
    Vince,

Yes, you alluded to that fact in a PM exchange we had a while back. Thank you. I ordered the system with the forethought if the tip or exhaust breaks, I can have a custom tail end made and attach it using v-bands. One AA feature that rocks is the v-bands.

I tried in vain to contact KK, last few attempts being a recorded message indicating that their phone number was no longer in service. Bad timing as I was a lot closer to pulling the trigger on a modular turn key system than I thought.

My Cars
    1977 E21, 1989 325is
    hey Mario how did you wife do at her track day?

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    nice to hear things are coming together for you. It's tough to be a one-man show and be really competitive in racing since you're doing everything, but it's still fun.

what intake/exhaust setup did you have previously? I'm just wondering since I have the M50 manifold and AA race exhaust, but standard 3.5" ECIS intake, I'm just wondering how much different the BW intake box is.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by seatown88 View Post
    hey Mario how did you wife do at her track day?
    Bill -
    She did great and had a lot of fun. We watched all her incar video the other night and the progression from the first session to her last was amazing. Her instructor did a great job in moving her forward, giving her the appropriate feedback/ constructive criticism and building her confidence. She is now talking about another school next year and then keeping it at 2 - 4 days a year.

A cool by product of this event is the fact that since the event we have talked about high performance driving on a daily basis. She knows what areas she needs to work on, she will admit to her her shortcomings, her mistakes and tries to work on them. I look forward to talking about trail braking and off line passing at dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
    nice to hear things are coming together for you. It's tough to be a one-man show and be really competitive in racing since you're doing everything, but it's still fun.

what intake/exhaust setup did you have previously? I'm just wondering since I have the M50 manifold and AA race exhaust, but standard 3.5" ECIS intake, I'm just wondering how much different the BW intake box is.
    Joe,

Indeed. I have to work at becoming more focused and organized as far as pre session prep is concerned. I have got to prepare some sort of checklist.

Prior to the exhaust swap I was running the following:
    Conforti 3" intake, stock center section and a stromung exhaust.

Currently I have the BW box, 3.5" to 3" reducer into the M50, stock headers then the AA exhaust without resonator.

Its hard to compare what the box gans were given I replaced the OEM center section. All i feel is that the car revs much freer and that the poer band have moved toward the top, but boy does it pull hard all the way from 4500 rpm.

For next year, the car will be obd-i with the 3.5" HFM and headers.

My Cars
    04 e46 330i ZHP, 03 e39 525iT
    Gald we got to chat. The car looks better in person than in the pics - nice quality build.

Vince
    Vince
    #997 CM

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by m332is View Post
    Gald we got to chat. The car looks better in person than in the pics - nice quality build.

Vince
    Vince, yes, so am I. Thanks for the kind words. Look forward to seeing you again in a few weeks.

For the heck of it, some pix of the AA race exhaust in comparison to the OEM midsection and stromung exhaust.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Started O-fest prep. My neighbor Mike is a sign guy and agreed to help me out with some very important details.

Also, kind of off topic but related is my 5 year old. She is very much like me. Heres a pic I took the other day coming home from the Grand Am Race at NJMP.

This after saying the following throughout the day...

"When can I start racing"

"When you die, can I have your race car"

"can you paint your car like Alex's?" She is a big fan of the #99 DP car and Alex Gurney.

My Cars
    DD-VWR32, I want an M
    I only hope my 2 year old daughter will turn into a race fan. I can't wait to take her to her first race at Road Atlanta. Love the quotes from your daughter.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Sutt,

Get her involved/exposed now. My older two kids (13 and 15) have no great interest for what I do and I attribute that to the fact that I was not doing the motorsport stuff when they were 3 or 4 years old. What did stick with the older 2 is an appreciation for older BMWs. As they get near driving age, are already asking me about which one they should buy.

After a 2 year hiatus, I got back into HPDE's 3 years ago, when my youngest was 2 and was exposed to me working on the car. It also helped that my cars were kind of loud and stiffly sprung and mostly BMWs. The sound of my supersprint exhaust used to put her her to sleep. From the magazines to event specific t shirts to talking about driving to watching racing on speed, she has been exposed.

Last year we took her first race, the 6 hour race at Watkins Glen, and when it was time to leave she cried. She absolutely took to the sounds, smells and overall race weekend atmosphere.

Have fun exposing your little one.

My Cars
    Did AA give you a gasket for the first 2 bolt flange in the exhaust?

Dibs on the next sponsorship spot from Altech!

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by JClark View Post
    Did AA give you a gasket for the first 2 bolt flange in the exhaust?

Dibs on the next sponsorship spot from Altech!
    Yes they did. What they forgot to supply are the two nuts and bolts required to join the "A" section to the flange that contains the bungs for the O2 sensors.

LOL at dibs...

My Cars
    '04 330i ZHP & '71 911T
    Quote Originally Posted by TIATO View Post
    Sutt,

Get her involved/exposed now. My older two kids (13 and 15) have no great interest for what I do and I attribute that to the fact that I was not doing the motorsport stuff when they were 3 or 4 years old. What did stick with the older 2 is an appreciation for older BMWs. As they get near driving age, are already asking me about which one they should buy.

After a 2 year hiatus, I got back into HPDE's 3 years ago, when my youngest was 2 and was exposed to me working on the car. It also helped that my cars were kind of loud and stiffly sprung and mostly BMWs. The sound of my supersprint exhaust used to put her her to sleep. From the magazines to event specific t shirts to talking about driving to watching racing on speed, she has been exposed.

Last year we took her first race, the 6 hour race at Watkins Glen, and when it was time to leave she cried. She absolutely took to the sounds, smells and overall race weekend atmosphere.

Have fun exposing your little one.
    +1!
    My soon-to-be 3year old son has been exposed from day one and he absolutely loves it. At 18 months he was taking his nap inside turn 1 at Mid-Ohio.
    He loves the noise/smell, etc. of my M3 and we can't ask him which car he wants to ride in.........'cause it's always "the white one!" which isn't possible to put the family in.
    He giggles and grins everytime he rides in the M3 as it is stiff, loud, etc. And the other day (in out touring) he shouted "Nice turn Dad!" as I took a corner swiftly. He's hooked, he just doesn't know it yet.

Heading to the track today - and I think he'll be able to take some touring laps with me for the first time during a corner worker break. I'm looking forward to it!
    Cheers,
    Chet

My Cars
    DD-VWR32, I want an M
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWParkingOnly View Post
    +1!
    My soon-to-be 3year old son has been exposed from day one and he absolutely loves it. At 18 months he was taking his nap inside turn 1 at Mid-Ohio.
    He loves the noise/smell, etc. of my M3 and we can't ask him which car he wants to ride in.........'cause it's always "the white one!" which isn't possible to put the family in.
    He giggles and grins everytime he rides in the M3 as it is stiff, loud, etc. And the other day (in out touring) he shouted "Nice turn Dad!" as I took a corner swiftly. He's hooked, he just doesn't know it yet.

Heading to the track today - and I think he'll be able to take some touring laps with me for the first time during a corner worker break. I'm looking forward to it!
    Cheers,
    Chet
    Thanks Tiato and BMWParkingOnly, this helps. My daughter has been to the track for some HPDE events with friends. I am hoping to get her to the club event at Road Atlanta to watch our friends race. I am also planning on getting her out to Petite Le Mans next year as I am not sure I will be able to go this year. We watch F1 on the weekends and she already loves driving her push car around the house. All I hope for is her to have the love of driving and cars that I do. I can only hope she wants to drive on a track and show some guys how good a girl can be. I am also a lucky man to have married a woman who understands the car bug as she has the bug too.

To ask a quick question....is shooting ear protection enough for a car race? The over the ear kind. I am thinking a visit to walmart will be in order at some point.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutt View Post
    To ask a quick question....is shooting ear protection enough for a car race? The over the ear kind. I am thinking a visit to walmart will be in order at some point.
    To date at Grand Am races at WGI and NJMP, there was no need for over the ear protection. The tracks are in wide open spaces with viewing areas sufficiently distant from track side that the engine noise at worst was loud but definately not deafning. Even in the pits, garages or paddock when cars were started or being warmed up, the noise levels are tolerable.

My Cars
    Grand Am Koni is perfectly tolerable. Rolex is louder, you may want protection if you have sensitive ears depending on the track.

ALMS is LOUD. At Petit, if you stand at the apex of turn 6, the downshifting prototypes will almost knock the wind out of you. The sound is the best part but after a few laps without ear protection, you'll dread seeing that BP Mazda P1 car coming towards you.

My Cars
    E36 325i, E34 535iTm
    Grand Am Koni is perfectly tolerable. Rolex is louder, you may want protection if you have sensitive ears depending on the track.

ALMS is LOUD. At Petit, if you stand at the apex of turn 6, the downshifting prototypes will almost knock the wind out of you. The sound is the best part but after a few laps without ear protection, you'll dread seeing that BP Mazda P1 car coming towards you.
    Not to mention hearing loss is cumulative ... use ear protection.

-tammer

My Cars
    '04 330i ZHP & '71 911T
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutt View Post

That'd be fine. Most tracks/vantage points are not too bad (depends on the cars though) but I'd recommend protection for the little ones and over the ears is much better than trying to shove a plug in a toddlers ear.

My Cars
    04 e46 330i ZHP, 03 e39 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by tammer View Post
    not to mention hearing loss is cumulative ... Use ear protection.

-tammer
    what?!?

Vince
    #997 CM

My Cars
    DD-VWR32, I want an M
    Yes, it is. I laughed when I read your Mazda comment. The last time I was there 2 years ago I had one of those moments. Being so close to the track is great but your ears sure to suffer.
    I am asking for my daughter. With her little growing ears I want her to be safe. If she has to wear them I will wear them to make sure she gets the picture. If Pa Pa has to then I guess I have to.

Thanks everyone.

My Cars
    Too many.

My Cars
    Finally wanted to see out of your rearview? That was 90% of the reason for getting rid of mine.

My Cars
    Too many.
    That was my number one reason. The other being drag.

My Cars
    '04 330i ZHP & '71 911T
    Quote Originally Posted by TIATO View Post

Preping for some rally stripes?
    Black?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast