Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Getting a handle on things

My Cars
    '97 840CI

Getting a handle on things

Here is a typical fracture of the door handle mechanism, making is difficult or impossible to open the drivers door.
    The lack of handle return pressure can also leave the car in an awake state, draining the batteries.

The use of sintered metal was unfortunate, but the mechanical design contributes in that the pivot axis consists of three colinear pins rather than a continuous axel.
    The return spring not only creates torsion but also pitches its pin off axis, snapping the arm.
    The result is a disconnection of the outside handle from the latch on the door jamb.

Here is a DIY fix.

Fabricate pieces and braze, using a rod to maintain alignment.

Thread the axel ends.

Total kit. Spring and grommet are reused.

The replacement design worked perfectly. If similar pieces were kitted, the total repair time could be in the 20 to 30 minute range.
    No, I won't make one for you.
    This was just a DIY feasibility study.
    Last edited by Hyper; 07-11-2017 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Pic link update

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Kick butt post, Nice job and thanks for sharing, Did you make any extra's?---) When my M handles go, I will certainly fix them befor tossing.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    No, I won't make one for you.
    For those of us without the materials, tools, and skills, there is strong demand out there. You could make some money too...

My Cars
    '96 BMW 840ci
    Wow- that was impressive. Olin's right, there's a small fabrication business opportunity.

My Cars
    1994 850CSi, 2007 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston1 View Post
    For those of us without the materials, tools, and skills, there is strong demand out there. You could make some money too...
    +1 as long as it is under the outrageous price of $250 or so for a new one.

My Cars
    92 BMW 850i/6
    This post is text book wonderful, from the pun in the tittle to the solid content, well done. Also why not consider making a run of these just make a cast of yours and sell them for a profit. It's a win-win for everyone, we get a superior product and you get cash.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    I think some of us with functional handles would even buy them just to have!

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX

Ditto!

My Cars
    1997 M73, Individual
    An excellent solution to a common problem - well done! It looks a pretty straight-forward method, nice one.

My Cars
    '92 850i/6-Euro Wannabe
    The natural candidate to make these well would be Gerry Speechley

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    I know I would
    2.8 Z3 coupe + 6 speed || 200kW electric 1970 Jaguar XJ6

My Cars
    E31 E38 E65
    Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    ..... When my M handles go, I will certainly fix them befor tossing.
    THIS!
    *~*Yamaguchi-gumi Syndicate Member #59,005 *~*
    [ Bippu Couture ] ( D_G ) [ FALKEN Tires]

My Cars
    E31
    Well done. Thanks!

Tony

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Great job, glad I kept my broken one.

My Cars
    1991 850i
    Nice solution to your problem. However mine are 18 years old and work fine. Should i need to replace one? No welder etc? I would expect a long life out of a new one i install.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacwill View Post
    ...why not consider making a run of these...
    Because of what comes next.

Thanks everyone. People are out there who are better suited to refining a solution and getting short runs accomplished.
    I am happy to get this fix off my todo list [rant] but also irritated at the factory for not cleaning up their mess, say with a field service kit[/rant].
    Last edited by Hyper; 07-11-2017 at 09:02 PM. Reason: pic link redirect

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by rcrad6653 View Post
    The natural candidate to make these well would be Gerry Speechley
    I thought of that too, but they would probably cost more than the replacement handle. Quality is very high, but you always pay for that.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    koenig ks8 /e31 850c
    If there is a small market for this item and there is no immediate rush,
    I will fabricate them.
    But I will need a sample left and right handed.

My Cars
    BMW 850CI 1993
    Hyper, the lock on my 850, the left side, broke this piece that you just built. The break point was close to the hole where the shaft attaches. You would do me the courtesy of a build for me? The complete lock is too expensive! Do not hurry. You are interested in helping me, you can contact us by e-mail and set the value of your work.

In fact, it's a brilliant job, very good.

Congratulations and do not forget my request, ok?

Big hug

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    @hyper - great post - if you are worrying about member complaints etc after supplying then you could offer through a distributor...

@koenig_d --> I had mine go as well and in the process of getting some fabricated in Canada however its been months and the company doing it hasn't made any progress. Wuffer was kind enough to let me have both a right & left hand handle to take measurements from and if I don't get any traction at the company in Canada then (providing wuffer agrees) I could send the handles to you for fabrication.
    I think it'll be a great service FWIW..

My Cars
    94 BMW 840Ci
    There was a member on the "other forum" (may be here as well?) who was making these for a time last year. I got one of the first ones, as he requested my feedback on it when I installed it and did not have his process completely down yet. I did have a fit issue that was easily cleaned up by taking a bit more metal off of certain areas (pics below). After that, it worked perfectly, and has ever since. I'm not sure if he's still doing them or not though.

Pics...

Broken OEM part next to new pivot. The OEM part has a hairline crack in it, but was not all the way broken through yet.

New pivot installed in handle

Pivot as I got it. Note the extension of the "lobes" in front - this was the aforementioned fitment issue. Those lobes would hit the inside of the door skin when the handle was pulled, and caused the handle to not retract fully when released. My car has some sort of fabric pad stuck on in that area though - not sure if all E31s have this.

After some quality time with Mr. Belt Sander Fitment issue solved!

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Black88GTA: Well, this is highly significant. I've tried searching the "other forum" but haven't come up with the history on this effort. Found several dozen victims but no hero. Probably you should provide me with better hints, by PM if necessary. Fyi, since I've been there / done that, I can pick through the details in the photos and know what's going on. Bottom line: what became of the effort??

Zatman: Small world. I was aware that Wuffer had sent out handles to someone working on a solution. Now this closes the loop.

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
    There was a member on the "other forum" (may be here as well?) who was making these for a time last year. I got one of the first ones, as he requested my feedback on it when I installed it and did not have his process completely down yet. I did have a fit issue that was easily cleaned up by taking a bit more metal off of certain areas (pics below). After that, it worked perfectly, and has ever since. I'm not sure if he's still doing them or not though.
    Do you have the person's info? What kind of price?

I'm with everyone here....

if anyone is making sets of these, i'd be interested.
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    94 BMW 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    Black88GTA: Well, this is highly significant. I've tried searching the "other forum" but haven't come up with the history on this effort. Found several dozen victims but no hero. Probably you should provide me with better hints, by PM if necessary. Fyi, since I've been there / done that, I can pick through the details in the photos and know what's going on. Bottom line: what became of the effort??
    I posted for advice about my door not opening properly (at that time I was not aware of the door handle issue) and this member contacted me via email with information on what he was doing. As far as I know, he never made an actual post with selling / purchasing information on the part, so finding a logged history on it may be difficult / impossible. I attempted to search for my original post, but can't seem to search for anything newer than 2008 (I guess search only hits the archives???) and going back as far as I can in "current" posts yields results that stop a month or two after I would have made the original post. The "other forum" software unfortunately leaves much to be desired.

I don't know exactly how many of these he made, although I don't think it was many. Like I said, I got the first one. This all happened around April - June of last year, so it wasn't that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
    Do you have the person's info? What kind of price?

I'm with everyone here....

if anyone is making sets of these, i'd be interested.
    I do have all of the person's contact info, but didn't post / disclose this information on purpose. I didn't want to post it up and have him get flooded with emails / PMs if he was not interested in producing more of them. I'd rather not disclose what I paid for it (in case the member wants to go into business doing these and wants to change the pricing), but I will say that it was VERY reasonable.

I did dig up his email address and shot him an email a couple hours ago notifying him that this topic had come up that may be of interest.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
    As far as I know, he never made an actual post with selling / purchasing information on the part, so finding a logged history on it may be difficult / impossible. I attempted to search for my original post, but can't seem to search for anything newer than 2008 (I guess search only hits the archives???)
    Roadfly search is and has been broken for years now. Anyway, the member's nickname is "850idontno" and offered his product in a few threads:

Broken door handle probable cause of insomnia
    Door will not open
    Driver's door sticking?
    I am looking for a drivers door handle/exterior

Look up the replies by "850idontno". Not much details, though, apart from a tiny picture in one of the threads.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast