Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission and/or gear noise when cold?

My Cars
    '98 Hellrot 323is

Question Transmission and/or gear noise when cold?

Since it's gotten cold out, I'm getting an odd noise that was not apparent last season. The car's an automatic. The noise sounds like it's coming just under the gear selector/ cup holder/ console area. It sounds like a winding noise from maybe gears? The noise increases w/ speed, not RPMs. The noise is constant when driving straight and increases some when slowing down (winds down). The odd thing is that it the sound gets louder when I turn left at speed, but virtually disappears if I turn right. After 30 minutes or so of driving (I'm assuming after whatever is making the noise warms up) you can't hear it anymore. Any ideas? I'm going to try to make a soundclip and post it in the morning. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2004 Audi AllRoad 4.2
    Possibly wheel bearing (vibration transmitted along driveshaft). Sound changing/disappearing when turning is a clue. Try with windows open to see if it is more apparent which side and front or back.

Lift rear wheels off ground & feel for sideways motion in bearing (should be none). Rear bearing problems are more common so focus there first.

Search for "rear wheel bearings" plenty of information. Difficult repair, best left to the pros unless you have access to the proper tools.

Don't rule out a driveshaft center bearing, differential bearing, etc, but check rear wheel bearings first.

My Cars
    1997 328ic

noisy

I have a 1997 328 with the exact same prolem let me know if you find out what it is and I will do the same.

My Cars
    '98 Hellrot 323is
    Thanks Choffa. You can't hear the noise w/ the windows down and it seems concentrated strictly to the center of the car as mentioned previously. I haven't checked the rear wheels yet. Do you know if the wheel bearing will quit making the noise when it heats up?

My Cars
    E36 M3 3.2 EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by kc0433 View Post
    Do you know if the wheel bearing will quit making the noise when it heats up?
    That might be just the begining of failing wheel bearing. It will get louder in a week or two. It should start sweaking, grinding when driving slow.
    Try driving in circles and listening to the noise, try to find out where exactly it is coming from.

My Cars
    1997 328ic

Thumbs up

While driving today I have found that mine is from the front right Noise stops when I turn left

My Cars
    E36 M3 3.2 EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997bmw View Post
    While driving today I have found that mine is from the front right Noise stops when I turn left
    Change them both, you'll have a clear head

My Cars
    1997 328ic

Angry

Well I think it is from the front right but it has gotten warmer and the noise has temp gone away.

My Cars
    '98 Hellrot 323is
    Yeah, mine is pissing me off. It is coming directly from the center of the car by the gear shift. If the temp is above 55 when I get in my car after a period of time it does not make the noise. If it's cold (like this morning) it is pronounced, loud, and annoying as hell. Once the car warms up after 15 to 20 minutes the sound goes away. It's been doing this for 3 weeks, but has not gotten worse. I can't hear it w/ the windows down on the outside of the car either. I would assume a wheel bearing would have gotten worse by now...the only thing that makes me think that it could be that, is how it gets louder when turning left and pretty much disappears when I turn right. I'm leaning toward the center support bearing. What exactly is the purpose of it? Excuse my ignorance.

My Cars
    1997 328ic

Angry

I am having a fit trying to figure this out brought it to a mechanic but by the time I got there the vibration was gone.I wonder if you should post a new thread I dont think people respond to old ones maybe someone else is having this problem now that it is getting colder outside

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    I think it is from the transmisson.Today it was pretty cold so I let the car warm up for 7 min . The vibration was still there but not as pronounced .I wonder if the never change transmisson fluid is getting a little thick due to its age and the cold temp

My Cars
    1997 328ic

Moon

Just keeping us on the front page.Anyone else had have or heard of this?

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    Anyone HELP

My Cars
    98 323is
    Mine has been doing this since I bought the car 3-years ago. The noise only happens when it is below 55 degrees. Once the car warms up the noise goes away. Over the past 3 years the noise has not gotten any worse. Is this only something that the automatics have.

Help.

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    Bump

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    bump

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    bump

My Cars
    '98 Hellrot 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateBMW View Post
    Mine has been doing this since I bought the car 3-years ago. The noise only happens when it is below 55 degrees. Once the car warms up the noise goes away. Over the past 3 years the noise has not gotten any worse. Is this only something that the automatics have.

Help.
    Exactly! Mine didn't do this last year though.

My Cars
    1998 E36 328is
    when my bearings went, i heard a grinding type noise but it wasn't constantly there... it came and went.

My Cars
    2011 X5d, 2013 X1 35i
    I've had a recurring issue with this, and it's only in the winter. When it happens to my car, the noise kicks in and out, and the loudness varies, seemingly at random. When I slow to a stop, it turns into a grinding noise.

I brought it in to where I had access to a hoist, and could not find it for the life of me. Of course, as the car warmed up to room temperature, the noise started going away.

For me it seems to be related to salt/sand on the road during the winter. Another factor - there is a lot of ice in the driveshaft area due to the heatshields in my car deteriorating. I figured some ice must have somehow gotten into where it's rubbing against the driveshaft, or something like that.

I thought it could also be a piece of sand in betweent the differential and axle flanges. I never got to check this, and it seems like it wouldn't be affected by cold air...

It's a mystery I continue to live with.... If it's the diff, I'll know this year, because I recently swapped it out....

02/1996 BMW 328i - (324,869km/201,864mi)
    Purchased May 15, 2004 (101,210km / 62,888mi) Sold August 22, 2008 (324,869km / 201,864mi)

My Cars
    '98 Hellrot 323is
    It's almost like something may be tighter because of the temperature, but if it was the actual transmission gearing then it would get louder with RPMs not speed? I would think if it was a bearing then it would not only occur while the car is cold, and that it would get worse (hasn't been the case). The noise takes about 20 minutes to disappear as the car warms up. I don't think salt/dirt/sand has anything to do with it; there hasn't been any salt put down here, and I haven't been off-roading lately either. What is the actual function of the center support bearing? I am stumped on what it could be and am thinking I'll just have to listen to this all winter.

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    It is funny Iet the car warm up yesterday in my drive way hardly any sound

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    bump Help

My Cars
    '98 Hellrot 323is
    I finally got this fixed, and the problem/solution was quite a surprise to me. I tried everything that was recommended and was coming to the conclusion that this was NOT a wheel bearing although the noise did get louder during breaking and while turning left. Since the noise would be gone by the time I got to my mechanic because the car warmed up, I dropped it off at the shop before they closed Wednesday evening. I told him to leave it outside and drive it cold in the morning for 5 minutes. I was told the tunnel insulation at the driveshaft was rubbing. He couldn't explain why it was making the noise only when the driveline was cold, but the car isn't doing it now! He charged me $60 bucks to fix it. Well worth it to me since it was really pissing me off. Hope this helps.

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    Awesome thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast