Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: daily driven budget e36 n/a supercar status? ltw97m3

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    200 mph is NOT an easy value to attain.

To achieve 150 mph, any car with about 230hp can do that.
    BUT make it to 200mph, the difference in wind resistance, drag, horsepower, etc. isn't linear, as in just add another 100hp or 200 hp, and you are there...

It's add another 300-400 hp, some aerodynamics, electronic controls, etc. a la Bugatti...

There's a GREAT Top Gear video around the Bugatti Veryon Test Drive that addresses the 200+mph dilema with cars.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    '99 M3 / '92 Miata

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ltw97m3 View Post
    the goal of this thread was to exploit a certain population within this community; like pavlov's dog, they delivered.

the fact that some people were able to remain objective and answer the question was a bonus and temporarily saved face for this community. thanks for all those that contributed to this experiment.

dispatch's post should be re-read by most.
    You have to be kidding

My Cars
    95M3, 78 T/A
    I don't care what you call it I am just interested to see some final pics/videos of it.

95'///M3 Cosmos Black with AA intake, Gen III Exhaust, AA chip, BMP Front strut bar, Koni S/A's, H&R OE springs.
    Origin ID: RomCommm

My Cars
    2001 M coupe
    the goal of this thread was to exploit a certain population within this community; like pavlov's dog, they delivered.

the fact that some people were able to remain objective and answer the question was a bonus and temporarily saved face for this community. thanks for all those that contributed to this experiment.

I wish I could be as cool on the internet as you.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    1999 M3

And what was the point behind this purpose? Its either egotistic or esoteric nonsense.
    Jeremy

///
    M3 Titanium / Dove

My Cars
    97 M3 sedan
    Ok , I have stayed quiet long enuff.....THIS GUY IS AN ABSOLUTE TOOL BOX!, who the heck starts these kinda threads, only to wack off his little pecker at someone's response....dude, get a life.

My Cars
    E30S50, E46, E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

BUT make it to 200mph, the difference in wind resistance, drag, horsepower, etc. isn't linear, as in just add another 100hp or 200 hp, and you are there...

It's add another 300-400 hp, some aerodynamics, electronic controls, etc. a la Bugatti...

There's a GREAT Top Gear video around the Bugatti Veryon Test Drive that addresses the 200+mph dilema with cars.
    300+ more HP is more like it. The E60 M5 is more aerodynamic and barely gets past 200mph with 500bhp. Air is compressible so the increase in effort is exponential.

E46 328Ci
    Carbon Fiber Everything | BBS LM Reps | Koni FSD Eibach Pro Kit | CSL Replica Bumper & Trunklid | Haters Gonna Hate
    Frankenmotor S50 swapped E30 325is.
    Billy Sports | Eibach Pro Springs | IE 22/19 Sway kit | Supersprint Headers | Stealth Straightpipes | Ported Head | 3-Angle Valve Grind | Conforti

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by 97 Sedan View Post
    Ok , I have stayed quiet long enuff.....THIS GUY IS AN ABSOLUTE TOOL BOX!, who the heck starts these kinda threads, only to wack off his little pecker at someone's response....dude, get a life.

yet you read all of his threads...hmm

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

+1

IF you could get this car to even approach those speeds would it be stable? I'd think that a ~2300 lb go kart that ltw97m3's owns would run the risks of taking right off. Wings will help keep the car on the ground but destroy aerodynamics. The platform is too limited to pull all of this off n/a.

In respect to having a DD n/a e36 that can compete with supercars in the quarter, this is possible.

My Cars
    ltw97m3
    hello good sirs and possible misses!
    as an update:
    the car had sat around and not accumulated much mileage the last handful of years, i made little to no progress on the plans previously laid out. this pattern has changed and we are now moving forward. i am happy to report the car should go at least 121mph through the traps on its next time out. although this falls 3 mph short of the vision i had, i am happy to say it will require no significant engine work. further more, the 160,xxx mile engine has remained unopened; e.g. stock obd-ii exhaust manifolds, injectors, stock ecu maps. basically weight reduction and a couple bolt ons has gotten me here. 5+ years ago the car trapped 117.2x a couple times on the rev limit in 4th gear. the engine need rpms(6500) and is going to run ms3 obd-ii pnp when that becomes available.

if you have any questions i will do my best to field them. when these last 2 larger weight reduction projects are complete i will make some videos. thank you for your time and be kind to one another!
    live long and prosper!

My Cars
    E36 Turbo, E39 M5
    Very cool you are still working on this project. That PNP ms3 is very tempting curious to hear your feadback on it.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Is this fishforlife reincarnated? Where have you been for the past 5 years? I liked reading about that swiss cheese car and a stock motor running fast.

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    I want to see photos of the Swiss cheese car.

My Cars
    ltw97m3
    yes, this is fishforlife.
    life is more difficult for me then most and the car had to take a back seat. i only started to work on my remaining projects this summer. the turd is back on road and my only car for last 6 months. my larger projects i alluded to which will get me close to 10's are some composite doors and a lightweight brake and wheel setup. i will make a video to discuss the thought process and why i choose this direction. i have made all the door molds; inner and outer for both sides but have been dragging my feet on actually finishing the project. the custom brake setup has been sorted out, i already made my brackets out of wood to get an idea. i do not want to make the official brackets till i finish the doors. depending on what one is willing to part ways with there is a lot of potential in these platforms. the car would for sure run 10's if i reduced the rest of the weight but i am not willing to do so at this time. maybe in the future i will build something similar to what i have now but run an aluminum m52 and run the smaller 168mm differential. this would be another ~ 90 pound and if the weight allow would not break 10's i would put some raceland headers on the car. i have zero doubt 10's can be had with just bolt on's and if i had the money to do what i wanted to the engine in n/a form it would have the mph to flirt with 9's. i will reach these goals with much less money invested in a turbo system. i will run the car one last time in n/a form with the ms3 and then we will go larger turbo then most and low boost. i was lucky that 3.23 differential turned out to be just about perfect for n/a with a 225/50/15 drag radial. i have spent more time then some reading and trying to learn what i can to make the most informed decisions i can. it has taken me longer then most but i feel confident my system is more efficient then many.

sorry, no new photos till i finish those aforementioned projects. just use your mind an imagine what 1300 pounds removed from an e36 may look like.

as for the ms3, it is a no brainier. i am committed to this platform and i could never justify paying for tunes after each modification. i watched many people spend lots of money for little performance return on these engines. the ms3 will cost me less then some have put into their n/a mods for these engines. this is a large reason why i have stayed stock ecu and maps all this time. i did not have the money to throw at the car so instead i pulled all the items which contradicted with performance.

everything is a compromise on some level and i would encourage most to consider removing most things in the name of performance. if it does not make you faster it only slows you down. the car is just about bullet proof at this weight. it is all about power to weight; because we are so light my engine will be stressed much less then many.

thank you for your interest!

My Cars
    1993 325is
    run an aluminum m52 and run the smaller 168mm differential.
    This might be of interest to you:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...l-BMW-diff-LSD

And I also have a Raceland header/custom midpipe setup that was on my built aluminum block M52 build when it made 270whp/240ft-lbs for sale. That combined with a custom built 3" single exhaust with a cat, a resonator and 2 mufflers took about 45lbs off the previous exhaust system.

My car as it stands right now is 2,380 with no driver, and most of the interior is still there.
    Last edited by jakermac; 10-12-2017 at 02:22 PM.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    This might be of interest to you:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...l-BMW-diff-LSD

And I also have a Raceland header/custom midpipe setup that was on my built aluminum block M52 build when it made 270whp/240ft-lbs for sale. That combined with a custom built 3" single exhaust with a cat, a resonator and 2 mufflers took about 45lbs off the previous exhaust system.

My car as it stands right now is 2,380 with no driver, and most of the interior is still there.
    I'm curious what you've done to drop that much weight while keeping "most of the interior." And what is "most of the interior?"

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Rear seats removed, front seats replaced by 9.5lb fully upholstered carbon buckets, center armrest replaced by regular center tray console. Remainder of interior is still intact as mandated by the rules for SCCA Street Modified autocross class. However, I did LOTS more weight reduction in many many other areas.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Sounds like you have a 10 second car Jaker based on this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    ltw97m3
    i spent some time hanging out with good sir wanganstyle several years back. i tried to learn what i could from him and to be fair, a couple of the lightweight projects were his ideas.

as for jakermac's car being 10 seconds, i find that generous. this turd makes similar power and weighs several hundred pounds less. the power to weight just is not where it is needed for a 10second pass. i have little doubt if they were not bound by their class rules and they were dedicated to the cause they would get there.

i have sourced a pair of e30 front spindles and will be picking them up in the coming days. this is what the front 4 lug setup will be based around. the rear are e36 non-m trailing arms with e30 4 lug hubs pressed in them. this is already done and i just need to make the final versions of the caliper brackets. this setup will save another 100+ pounds and although i lose a lot of mass to store and dissipate the kinetic energy during a road race the car should still be fine for drifting, drag racing, daily driving. as a data point, i will test my nissan sentra rotors to failure as they cost less then 10 dollars. it would be awesome if the car can handle auto cross but i am not holding my breath.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Rear seats removed, front seats replaced by 9.5lb fully upholstered carbon buckets, center armrest replaced by regular center tray console. Remainder of interior is still intact as mandated by the rules for SCCA Street Modified autocross class. However, I did LOTS more weight reduction in many many other areas.
    What else have you done?

Just curious what you guys are doing to drop that much weight. You two are both several hundred pounds below most track prepped cars I've seen, though if you don't have roll cages that explains most of it.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I have no roll cage.

I do have:

UUC flywheel
    M52 Z3 aluminum single Vanos block
    S52 crank that has had 12 lbs removed (40lbs down from 52)
    All OEM cooling fans deleted - running a single lightweight SPAL fan
    Cruise control delete
    AC delete (all except the evaporator in the dash)
    Radio delete
    Airbag delete
    Sunroof delete with 2 1/2lb CF plug/insert
    Full carbon VIS hood (18lbs)
    Full carbon MA Shaw trunk lid (9.5lbs)
    Raceland Headers and Single 3" full exhaust (as mentioned above, about 45lbs less than stock)
    AST 5100 aluminum body shocks/struts
    GC hollow front sway bar
    Rear sway bar delete
    E30M3 aluminum front LCAs
    Custom non-vented 11" front rotor brake setup with Wilwood calipers (22lb drop from OEM)
    M3 LTW aluminum doors
    E36 318 168mm diff setup
    E46 aluminum rear UCAs

There's more but I can't remember it all right now.

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    Front fender lower cut out and aero duct was worth about 1 lbs each side (including mud and dirt removed)

Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

My Cars
    ltw97m3
    hello good sir wanganstyle! i recall your name but not how to spell it correctly =/ i will likely never forget your mount hamilton fun runs, one day i hope to approach your driving skills.
    i will be cutting my front fenders from the body crease and rolling the lower section inwards to deal with the tire squirt, reduce drag. no trim, nor sideskirts you appear to be taking this more serious then most, well done good sir!

to give people some perspective if i went all in and completed all which has been talked about, the car should be high 17xx pounds. i will weigh the car when i finish the projects and it should be mid 18xx's. this is without a cage but the car will receive a cage during the turbo transformation.

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    hello good sir wanganstyle! i recall your name but not how to spell it correctly =/ i will likely never forget your mount hamilton fun runs, one day i hope to approach your driving skills.
    i will be cutting my front fenders from the body crease and rolling the lower section inwards to deal with the tire squirt, reduce drag. no trim, nor sideskirts you appear to be taking this more serious then most, well done good sir!

to give people some perspective if i went all in and completed all which has been talked about, the car should be high 17xx pounds. i will weigh the car when i finish the projects and it should be mid 18xx's. this is without a cage but the car will receive a cage during the turbo transformation.
    haha was excited when I finally found this thread again.

have you chopped out the spare tire well and battery tray in the rear? I'm allowed to per class rules and wondering how much the metal weight is; can also replace with open materials and integrate a airflow diffuser
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast