Thread: Seatbelt repair

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi, E53 X5 4.8iS

Seatbelt repair

Here is a part 1 of 2 on repair of the seatbelt that some people find quite daunting.

It is fairly straightforward and part 1 can be done by anyone with pretty basic tools.

What I am going to show here, is how to remove and install the seatbelt mechanism and belt assembly, and part 2 will show how to replace the webbing if yours is damaged, or you want a different colour, rather than replace the entire assembly, as most colours are no longer available and they are damn expensive anyway.

How about bright red in a red car, or blue in a car with blue piping on the leather? There are dozens of colours and shades available.

So how to remove the belt?

Firstly, move the seat fully forward and as high as possible.

There are 2 small torx bolts buried in the side cover where circled.

Next, undo the small crosshead screw at the front of the seat panel, behind the pocket (if fitted). Carefully pop off the side of the pocket to get access to the screw

and remove it.

Now gently pull off the seat adjuster knobs and behind the front one, remove the 2 very small crosshead screws.

You should now be able to loosen the side cover, disconnect the switches wiring connectors and lift the panel away.

Next, using a small pin, push in where shown in red, to release the clip shown in yellow, and remove the rear shell.

Now remove the headrest by rolling it forward as shown, and use a twisting back and forth motion, whilst pushing away from you.

You can now remove the front shell by removing the two tiny torx screws. There is one on the outside where shown, but the inner one is only accessible once you have lowered the seat and the headrest post has risen to clear the seat backrest.

Now you can pop off the screw covers either side of the seat,

and remove the screws. (5 times longer than they need to be but fitted just to be a PITA as they are so difficult to get to. Surprised they didn't threadlock them!)

to access the inner one, you may need to remove the handbrake gaiter to get access to it. I used this....

like this....

Using a hex key, disconnect the side anchor position of the belt...

and remove the front shoulder shell previously disconnected.

The seat back pulls back at the bottom and then lift off two hooks near the top of the seat.....

You now need to lift the outer edge of the back up, and thread the belt webbing through it....

and then slide the seat back along the headrest bar to remove it.

Now you need to lower the seat again so that you can access the two 13mm shallow head bolts....circled in red.....

I found they were so shallow, the lead on a normal socket slipped-off, so I used a Snap-On wrench....

Now, in the position circled, you will find a zip-tie retaining the belt control cable. This needs to be cut....

so that the cable can be removed from the drive motor....

and the reel hex head bold accessed and removed.

You can now slide the seatbelt complete up from the seat frame.....

and thats it! All done.

Easy eh?

Stay tuned for part 2 where it gets a bit tricky.

8Tech.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci, 1985 Fer
    Thanks for the great photos.
    Matthew M.
    North Carolina, USA
    1997 840Ci | 2001 740iL | 1985 308GTSi Quattrovalvole

My Cars
    BMW M3 CSL
    Very useful!

Thank you 8Tech.
    ///Alex

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    Excellent write up. Thanks.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Was there ever a part 2 to this?
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    1993 BMW 850CI
    Very good photos, thanks.

My Cars
    97 840c & 540I6 90 535im
    Excellent write up. How about creating one this easy for replacing the plastic handle on the tilt mechanism.
    97 840ci-99 540i6-90 535i5 all black

My Cars
    91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    Excellent write up. How about creating one this easy for replacing the plastic handle on the tilt mechanism.
    + 1 Also this thread should be towed to the DIY fixes section
    Last edited by mjrgroup; 03-27-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    1991 BMW 850i / V12 5.0L [M70] / ZF4HP24 E/H

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post
    + 1 Also this thread should be towed to the DIY fixes section
    Agreed! Should be towed. Iceman?
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    840 ci
    Great write up,but who is the person with no legs in the back watching that TV ?...Ha,ha....or is it a midget (Child)..?

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Looks there to me...
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

radlaw is offline SoCalEights Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    How about how to remove the other side of the seat belt where it snaps in across the lap, part # 72118134660?

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Great guide! This was a foolproof way for me to remove my seatbelts for rewebbing.
    Thanks

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Tech View Post
    Here is a part 1 of 2 on repair of the seatbelt that some people find quite daunting.

It is fairly straightforward and part 1 can be done by anyone with pretty basic tools.

What I am going to show here, is how to remove and install the seatbelt mechanism and belt assembly, and part 2 will show how to replace the webbing if yours is damaged, or you want a different colour, rather than replace the entire assembly, as most colours are no longer available and they are damn expensive anyway.

How about bright red in a red car, or blue in a car with blue piping on the leather? There are dozens of colours and shades available.

So how to remove the belt?

Firstly, move the seat fully forward and as high as possible.

There are 2 small torx bolts buried in the side cover where circled.

Next, undo the small crosshead screw at the front of the seat panel, behind the pocket (if fitted). Carefully pop off the side of the pocket to get access to the screw

and remove it.

Now gently pull off the seat adjuster knobs and behind the front one, remove the 2 very small crosshead screws.

You should now be able to loosen the side cover, disconnect the switches wiring connectors and lift the panel away.

Next, using a small pin, push in where shown in red, to release the clip shown in yellow, and remove the rear shell.

Now remove the headrest by rolling it forward as shown, and use a twisting back and forth motion, whilst pushing away from you.

You can now remove the front shell by removing the two tiny torx screws. There is one on the outside where shown, but the inner one is only accessible once you have lowered the seat and the headrest post has risen to clear the seat backrest.

Now you can pop off the screw covers either side of the seat,

and remove the screws. (5 times longer than they need to be but fitted just to be a PITA as they are so difficult to get to. Surprised they didn't threadlock them!)

to access the inner one, you may need to remove the handbrake gaiter to get access to it. I used this....

like this....

Using a hex key, disconnect the side anchor position of the belt...

and remove the front shoulder shell previously disconnected.

The seat back pulls back at the bottom and then lift off two hooks near the top of the seat.....

You now need to lift the outer edge of the back up, and thread the belt webbing through it....

and then slide the seat back along the headrest bar to remove it.

Now you need to lower the seat again so that you can access the two 13mm shallow head bolts....circled in red.....

I found they were so shallow, the lead on a normal socket slipped-off, so I used a Snap-On wrench....

Now, in the position circled, you will find a zip-tie retaining the belt control cable. This needs to be cut....

so that the cable can be removed from the drive motor....

and the reel hex head bold accessed and removed.

You can now slide the seatbelt complete up from the seat frame.....

and thats it! All done.

Easy eh?

Stay tuned for part 2 where it gets a bit tricky.

8Tech.

Great write-up. One question, on removing the torx screws on the seat (second picture), looks like you are using an allen torx wrench? If so, what size is the torx screw? I have a torx allen wrench and could not get it to loosen the screw. Any advice? Thanks!

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    T20 torx for those side panel screws if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Quote Originally Posted by petejk View Post
    T20 torx for those side panel screws if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unless they have been replaced with something else by now.
    Btw dgregp, torx and allen keys are two different things.

https://www.homestratosphere.com/all...torx-wrenches/
    Last edited by TexaZ3; 01-25-2023 at 09:31 AM.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================