Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728

Thread: Body work / Paint on the 'ole girl

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Well I saw this video floating around where a guy took a cheap Adafruit sound board and hooked it up to a small amplifier and to a loud speaker annnnd drove around with a custom horn.

I've now done the same. Only instead of making gaudy looking blue-ringed horn buttons, I've taken a very small and "elegant" approach. Here's a video, albeit rather long video, demonstrating it. The sound is SO LOUD in person I had to wear ear phones when testing. Of course it's completely adjustable too.

I can have 11 sounds, anything I want. I could put 11 full length songs if I wanted. For now I just went through some old Unreal Tournament sounds I've had and picked out the horns:

The plan is to mount the knob/switch either inside the center cigarette lighter or maybe beside the interior light adjustment (where the headlight angle switch would be if I had that feature.) It has a nice click click, and a nice soft push. Very elegant =D
    I could certainly put some more "creative" sounds depending on drivers around me.

... oh and that comment about the wheels Sobek!? You're removed from my friends list for SURE NOW! :P

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '95 740i
    WELL been an exciting couple months.

Nothing major done to the car itself but LOTS of preparation! Re doing the sound system so I've gone and bought two 12" Kappa woofers, an infinity 4-channel amp and an Infinity mono-block amp, just today received my new wiring kits (Wire is SO overpriced now damn) but they are incredible.

Not quite how I remember things, all this OFC copper and OVER gauge crap everywhere. So I bought what I've decided is the best - silver tinned, high strange count, OFC copper in beautiful satin jackets:

762.jpg

I have matching speaker wire and fuses etc..

THEN on to my latest and greatest and most pride-filled purchase:

759.jpg

760.jpg

It's the KWIK-LIFT. No electrics, no hydraulics, nothing to wear out, and EXTREMELY sturdy and safe. You can either have it as a 4" raise just by driving on it flat, or raise just the front or rear, or have it raised all the way up.

761.jpg

763.jpg

I had just let the supermodels go early, so I had to let my father be the "scale" model for the picture

I LOVE THIS THING! Bought it used from a guy in Wasaga (Thanks Michael!) for $750 cash. Came with the extra lift bar underneath ($175USD value) and looks virtually brand new. I am SO excited to finally be able to work on the car again easily.

I can open the door and everything is right at the perfect height - perfect for door panel work/speakers/trim/etc...
    For polishing the car, the sides/rockers are at perfect height now!
    For getting UNDER the car, although still virtually impossible for me personally to get up from the ground, at least now when I'm DOWN there I can do whatever I could possibly want - I.E. Rust control!!

I could go on and on, but I'm too excited just thinking about all of the opportunities this will give me. I finally have a lift in my garage!

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Garage lifts are GREAT! Except for when your GARAGE DOOR drives itself in to your car

Left the trunk lid open. Opened the garage door and BANG it hit the opened trunk lid - now that the car is that much higher. DAMMIT!

I was really hoping it was just on the plastic insert on the trunk lid buuuut nope, the metal too.
    764.jpg

765.jpg

Poor beautiful completely non-oem M Sport plate holder! . . . heh.

Ah well at least I have a lift to make it easier to repair this!!

My Cars
    2004 R32, 2011 A4 Avant
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    Ah well at least I have a lift to make it easier to repair this!!
    Thats the spirit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Great shop setup and fantastic ramp. WOW!

Too bad about the trunk damage.
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Jamos glad to hear you are making progress...just dropped back in today, will have to catch up. Sorry to see the body damage but hey...Shit happens! Been there done that! I discovered early on to avoid that lift damage - when the car goes on the lift, the garage door is locked to avoid accidental or even purposely opening the door.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    '95 740i
    LOCKED is beautiful! Great idea, thank you. It's funny how I seem to be able to solve everyone's problems in life except my own =D

Thanks guys.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Very cool lift setup. Total bummer about the dent.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    '95 740i
    It's been freezing rain and crazy weather the past week here. I broke my back somehow - virtually been sitting here since my last post hah.

SO in the meanwhile I've come up with a new garage layout idea:
    774.jpg
    The plan is to move things around and end up with 3x the storage that I currently have. Each shelf will only be 2'x1'x1' which will FORCE tidyness I'm hoping. I'll be able to move them around sort of to make them wider, or taller if needed though. THEN with that left over wood, the following sound system in the trunk idea:
    772.jpg

773.jpg

After 101 measurements the idea is to wall off the back and mount the speakers in the currently empty spare tire well. My aunt works for a major flooring company so she's sending over some boxes of different hardwoods and laminates to choose from - bad ass! There will be acrylic plastic with "natural white" led lights behind to give that cool glow look, and they'll turn on when you open the trunk. 12v jobbies. They are beautiful in person, WHITE white, not blue white or warm white, just proper white LEDs. The two amps are Infinity and the two twelves are Infinity Kappa 120.9w's they're beautiful too.

And been spending a lot of time working on a front splitter:

771.jpg

Googled the front end and took that picture and threw the model on it to show how it could look. THAT car was slammed though, so that's very low. Here's how it looks in 3D. (note the plastic used is 1/4" ABS and is to scale in this model and the photoshop above)

775.jpg

Hard to capture all of these concepts without proper depth or a moving camera but, it's what I've been up to and . . yeah, poor car isn't even driving yet due to me simply not getting it plated haha

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Not happy with how those pictures show the front splitter idea, so here are a couple more to sell the concept:

776.jpg

777.jpg

(that last image was image 777 since buying this car!)

Anyway yes that's an IL and yes the rear door is open and YES that's a facelift but, the concept doesn't change =)

Also the ride height shouldn't be bad, as the rocker panel behind the front is still lower.

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    I demand Updates!
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    That ramp "slightly" better than my $40 Amazon RhinoGear plastic ramps

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Hey now!! It HAS been awhile, jeepers.

George that's hilarious, I almost bought those 100 times before I finally settled on this setup instead.

As for updates, WOW there's been 101 things I've been doing, but as of late I haven't even been to the garage in the past two weeks. I've been looking forward to updating this page with the following:

Dyed entire interior Caramel
    Pillars, trims, back shelves all in alcantara.
    Ceiling reupholstered (twice cause I'm a noob)
    New grab handles, lights, visors, etc to match black.
    Center console is now in Alcantara and worked out really well imo.
    Angel eyes projects galore.
    Complete sound system upgrade from front to back.
    Total trunk sound build, everythings black back there now too - looks much classier.
    New exhaust setup.
    New diffuser setup.
    1,000 hours of paint correction because the shop I paid to do it, hires blind people with no hands to do their work it turns out.
    And more..

For NOW, back to Horizon 4 though =D

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    Hey now!! It HAS been awhile, jeepers.

George that's hilarious, I almost bought those 100 times before I finally settled on this setup instead.

As for updates, WOW there's been 101 things I've been doing, but as of late I haven't even been to the garage in the past two weeks. I've been looking forward to updating this page with the following:

Dyed entire interior Caramel
    Pillars, trims, back shelves all in alcantara.
    Ceiling reupholstered (twice cause I'm a noob)
    New grab handles, lights, visors, etc to match black.
    Center console is now in Alcantara and worked out really well imo.
    Angel eyes projects galore.
    Complete sound system upgrade from front to back.
    Total trunk sound build, everythings black back there now too - looks much classier.
    New exhaust setup.
    New diffuser setup.
    1,000 hours of paint correction because the shop I paid to do it, hires blind people with no hands to do their work it turns out.
    And more..

For NOW, back to Horizon 4 though =D
    Pics???

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Holy shet that sound like a weeks worth of work just to do the updates! Glad to see you got so much done! And to think the only thing I have done in that time is paint the hood and fender. I need to get in gear... in the spring.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Well well well. What a lazy ass this guy has been!

For the past 5 months I've been developing a 3D world in this physics simulator (BeamNG.Drive) and it's been 12 hour days just about every.. single.. day since Jan 1.

However this warmer weather, earlier sunrise, later sunset, etc.. is just driving me crazy! So I've been SLOWLY getting back into the swing of things with the car. Not too much has changed yet though: Removed the sunroof cassette to allow myself to remove the cloth from the steel roof (NOT glass) so that I can reupholster it to match the rest of the headliner. It's currently sitting out of the car on a couple saw horses. I finally FINALLY finally got black door trims - the felt part that goes around the opening - from an absolute legend of a member, and man they are such a headache to put back on the car. "Front left? Rear.. left.. okay front RIGHT! Nope.. rear right.. NOPE!! FRONT RIGHT.. c'mmoon which door does this fit on!!"

Anyway, I figured by writing here it'd force me to keep it at the front of my mind and get my ass in gear to get back to work on the thing! I haven't driven it since 2015!!!!

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728