Thread: "What did you do to your E39 today V2.0."

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    SW530 ,
    So sorry about your door ding ...
    Makes me so mad ....

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    SW530 ,
    So sorry about your door ding ...
    Makes me so mad ....
    Thanks. When I walked out and saw it I was like "THOSE ANIMALS!" She parked with 5-6 spots free between here and the next car and it still happened. Meanwhile she's waiting for me to get better so I can fix the ding and the previous damage for her. I'm very temped just to get her a new car. (with big thick bumpers and extra large side moldings..) That's the left side of my brain talking.. The right side is saying "she's only had it 12 years and it only has 78000 miles on it, it's barely broken in.." And then there's the third thing.. She likes trucks! Not only does she like truck but she likes the truck I like, the Tacoma 4x4 TRD Pro. We don't drive enough miles to justify two of them.. if we get one she'll be in it all the time and that brings up two potential issues. 1. She's not the best defensive driver. She's only had two accidents in her life that were her fault (one in the 2004 Tacoma I bought for her in 2004 and the last one last September when she hit a parked car in the morning fog), but she's been in a handful that could have been avoided. 2. She's likes shi^ all over her car.. She'll have cra& in the back seat, more cra& in the passenger side foot well, and even more in the front passenger seat.. I'm afraid to look in the trunk. My cars are clean. There's no flotsam anywhere. I don't even get in a car without kicking my heals.. I know.. I'm whining. But it is a car problem.. The first thing she does when I bring a new car home.. she checks for a third pedal. So far she hasn't wanted to learn to use a third pedal. Buying a car with a third pedal is me being passive aggressive to my wife..
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    The Tacoma TRD Pros are exactly the same as the 2005 Tacomas... not much changed. The 2024 refresh is supposedly all-new.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    The Tacoma TRD Pros are exactly the same as the 2005 Tacomas... not much changed. The 2024 refresh is supposedly all-new.
    They refreshed the Tacomas in 2015.. so this years model us eight year old tech. Which is okay with me, Toyota has a history of incremental changes so the same platform just gets better year after year, like fine wine.. What I want to know is exactly what the 2025 model year will be. I'm hoping it will be a truck with a frame and a 100% petrol power plant will be offered. If they want a hybrid or all elec, fine.. sell it to who ever will buy it. But I want a truck with a frame and a petrol engine. I suspect that if Toyota announces either a unibody and/or a hybrid power plant then many will be scrambling to pick up the last of the 2023 model year trucks.

Toyota is normally pretty conservative with their trucks but they do make mistakes. The last US made Tacoma I bought was a 2004 for my wife's happy new year present and a year later we went on assignment back to Thailand so I gave it to my son.. and he drove it from 13k to nearly 300k miles and only changed the oil/filters/tires/wipers/brakes/etc. Seriously. He went to Belgium to teach for the DOD schools last August and dropped the truck off before he left.. it was actually running okay without maintenance.. but the frame was gone. Toyota dropped the ball on protecting the frames on those trucks and they were rusting through so bad the trucks were folding in half on the trail and on lifts. The finally offered a warranty frame replacement and of course my son couldn't find the time to take it in for the new frame. This isn't the son I work on cars with but the other one..

qkrLR0h.jpeg

Still, it's impressive he got so much out of it with so little maintenance. I like the looks of the 2004 model year and those in the same generation.. I think they're the best looking Tacomas. When he said ihe was bringing it back I got excited at first, I had lined up a pallet JDM drivetrain with a turbo diesel/tranny/transfer case/diffs with air lockers/springs, the entire shebang out of a newer gen Hilux. And then I saw the frame..

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Did the 2015 refresh change the frame? Because it looks just like the 2005 with some new panels/interior/engines. When I go to Old Man Emu's website, it asks for the series, and just lists "2005-present".
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Did the 2015 refresh change the frame? Because it looks just like the 2005 with some new panels/interior/engines. When I go to Old Man Emu's website, it asks for the series, and just lists "2005-present".
    Sorry it was 2016.. Toyota has a "refresh every 10 years or die" motto so I just stabbed at 2015..)

"Toyota redesigned the Tacoma for the 2016 model year. With a more rigid frame and a new V6 powertrain, the Tacoma was more powerful, more fuel-efficient, and more capable than ever. No doubt, these upgrades, combined with interior refinements, new infotainment systems, and a handful of driving-assistance technologies, helped to ensure the Tacoma retained its decade-long status as the best-selling midsize truck in America." That's from KBB.. Other reviews mention frame enhancements but don't go into it much. My take is they re-enforced the frame. I really don't like the current look but I will like it more than a hybrid or full electric..

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Read a bit more, looks like they changed to high strength steel, added a reinforcement plate, changed the middle body mounts, and changed the transmission crossmember (likely because of the new drivetrains). So they do have a unique frame, but the suspension design is positively archaic at this point. I'd really want to wait for a full redesign before jumping in. Imagine buying a Chrysler LX platform car now... kinda the same thing.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Read a bit more, looks like they changed to high strength steel, added a reinforcement plate, changed the middle body mounts, and changed the transmission crossmember (likely because of the new drivetrains). So they do have a unique frame, but the suspension design is positively archaic at this point. I'd really want to wait for a full redesign before jumping in. Imagine buying a Chrysler LX platform car now... kinda the same thing.
    For me this is exactly why I'll probably buy this year. Toyota has a habit of keeping a generation around for 10 years and they continuously improve on it every year. If a issue like worn timing chains presents itself, they fix it the next year, if cooling becomes an issue, they improve it the next year.. till by the end of the run they're "refined" way past the original. You could make an argument that they should be so refined from the start of the generation but I think that's mostly wishful thinking. That and I very much like the old style suspension. As you say, it's archaic, but only in basic design. If that basic design has issues, bushing wear more than they should, whatever.. Toyota fixes it. So in effect its' a very refined archaic suspension and I can live with that. It's also cheap to fix, cheap to modify, and there's already tons of aftermarket support. And what would they replace it with? A yet to be refined coil spring design? Pfffttt!

About the only thing(s) that could get me to go with a 2024.. a turbo diesel from their overseas models that have already proven themselves.. I've owned three Hilux's in the last 20 years and a Fortuner and they were great.. I hated giving them up each time I came back stateside. Or.. a body stype I could really go for.. like the Michael J. Fox Back to the Future truck look.. But I doubt we'll see either.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I’m replacing the rectifier on the Bosch alternator …
    The diode connectors are a bit different between the new and old rectifiers …
    There’s a wire loop on the old , and claw clamp style on the new one .
    I’ve never replaced the rectifier before …
    8A605720-B6B7-4D11-9F9F-ACF3CA783515.jpeg
    Is this the correct rectifier replacement ?

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Picked my neighbor up to got to see John Wick Chapter 4. Hit the washer button and nothing, plenty of washer fluid in the resevoir. I don’t hear the pump running, the fuse is good.
    Fired up INPA but didn’t find any place to access the washer motor.

We walked into the theater lobby to see this. It’s a brew house too, perfect.
    Buffalo wings and an IPA to watch 10,000 rounds of ammo being fired. 4 killed in the first 2 min.
    Good movie with a sad ending.

43A86268-0E5B-4DC6-9AAF-C005B3FCDF20.jpeg

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    My son and I went to see JW4 on Friday.. we went at 3pm and in a large theater there was less than 10 people. Curious, did you pick up on the inconsistency of the dog? And.. not sure about a sad ending, I think there will be a JW5..

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    Well, waxing the car I learned a nasty secret. It's been hit at one point. Passenger front door is Oxford green under the paint. Orange peel is certainly much more noticeable. Took me 4 years to realize so they did a good enough job. I've always seen the orange peel, never the other door tho.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    Also looks like I'll be learning how to paint this summer...

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by SW530 View Post
    My son and I went to see JW4 on Friday.. we went at 3pm and in a large theater there was less than 10 people. Curious, did you pick up on the inconsistency of the dog? And.. not sure about a sad ending, I think there will be a JW5..
    The dog, like they used a few different ones?
    Are you thinking JW himself will be back? A JW5 would be good to see.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    The dog, like they used a few different ones?
    Are you thinking JW himself will be back? A JW5 would be good to see.
    The dog "character" was supposed to be a single dog, and they did use different dogs. But in the beginning the dog owner is saying "good girl, good girl" but in the end he lifts his leg and pisses on the guy.. Now I know we live in modern times and that dog has the right to identify any way he wants but..

I do think he'll be back. I didn't see a lethal wound (keeping in mind movie magic) but a theme that's ran since JW1 is he just wants to be left alone. Maybe they're giving him that gift. And of course if there is a JW5 whatever brings him back into action would make for a good story line..

I feel bad for the dog though. Not knowing anything else, a dog trained to react to "nuts" probably isn't going to be a family pet or run free on the front lawn playing with the kids. In many states he would now be considered a dangerous dog and be required to be locked away in a kennel and that gets expensive so.. We have a Malinois X (half GSD, half Belgian malinois), bred to be a better family pet and in better control than a pure Belgian Malinois.. and they're great dogs. I hate to see them used and tossed aside or worse.

YBDA2365.JPEG

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    That dead guy deserved to get pee’d on.
    I do hope there is a JW5 and maybe a 6th.
    You’re right about those wounds not being lethal.
    Interesting JW saved his last shot for that prick.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    The "prick" might win best supporting actor. He truly made people hate him.

There will be a JW5 if the box office receipts are big enough. So far JW4 is on track to bring in more receipts than any other of the series.

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    All this talk about the John Wick series.
    Never seen one, but the mopar forums I'm in are geeking out about the 72-4 Cuda that's in it.
    This is detail is wrong, it wouldn't handle that well, hope they don't ruin another one, etc...
    And you BMW guys never mentioned the car.
    I drove my 71 the other day. Mopars have some big torque.
    A stock 540 is still faster than the average small block.
    Last edited by wagons ho; 03-28-2023 at 09:14 PM.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    You should watch the first one, that was the best. JW had some nice rides that they stole and crashed.
    The Cuda looked like a newer one?? Interesting that both doors were ripped off in the Paris shootout.
    Yes, there were a number of BMW’s in many scenes.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    I suspect the Cuda was a replica body in the Dynacorn replacement body style. Dynacorn is making Ford and Chevy licensed body parts and entire bodies.. for Mustangs, C/K trucks, blazers, and more.. and this place does Mopar bodies at the exact same price point At this point and time it's just silly to ruin an original when the replica's are almost always cheaper.. I'd guess you could make a running driving car in the 50-60's range.. which for the movies is peanuts. They could then turn around and sell it when done and get most of their money back unless they destroy it..

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by SW530 View Post
    I feel bad for the dog though. Not knowing anything else, a dog trained to react to "nuts" probably isn't going to be a family pet or run free on the front lawn playing with the kids. In many states he would now be considered a dangerous dog and be required to be locked away in a kennel and that gets expensive so.. We have a Malinois X (half GSD, half Belgian malinois), bred to be a better family pet and in better control than a pure Belgian Malinois.. and they're great dogs. I hate to see them used and tossed aside or worse.
    Handsome doggo, are they athletic as the breed suggests? Our husky is the complete opposite of a stereotypical crazy howling husky. Very lazy, very quiet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Pulls like a freight train on walks though, being a sled dog.

IMG_0740.jpg
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    A few weeks ago I noticed my xenon lights pointing up all the time, blinding everyone else. Surprisingly I only got flashed a handful of times since everyone here drives around with their high beams on all the time anyways. Turns out one of the ride height sensors was bad so I replaced both with new and its back to working as it should.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Well , after all that , installing the new rectifier on the Bosch alternator ,
    I noticed that the pulley spins lop-sided / wobbly when spinning by hand … ☹️
    I’m assuming that the case got bent when trying to remove the bearings …
    I don’t think I can run the alternator with the pulley all wobbly , right ?
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 03-30-2023 at 11:38 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Handsome doggo, are they athletic as the breed suggests? Our husky is the complete opposite of a stereotypical crazy howling husky. Very lazy, very quiet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Pulls like a freight train on walks though, being a sled dog.
    Husky's are beautiful dogs..

Umm.. yes. Being a Malinois X he's supposed to be a lot more laid back than a full on Malinois.. so if he's laid back the full Mal's would be scary. They're also supposed to be 55-60lbs.. being smaller than a GSD is one of the main reasons the military loves them (easy to carry up the side of a building or jump out of a plane with) but ours is 100lbs of muscle. He could pull a house down. I keep hoping he'll get old enough to slow down but at three he's not there yet. And he's scary smart. You can watch him process a problem in real time, about as fast as a ten year old human. Overall GSD's are much easier on their owners. His head is huge.

We have a Chinese family that lives a couple houses over and he's been in love with their 30yo daughter (can't blame him a bit) since he was a pup.. she'd never had a dog before because her mom is scared of them, so she kind of adopted Gunther and keeps a bag of treats in a garage cabinet for his visits. Well, her mom drives up one day and opens the garage door, in she goes, and closes the door and there are no lights in their garage. Unbeknownst to her Gunther followed her in and of course he can see in the dark.. when she exited the car he gave one of his incredibly loud barks only a giant headed dog can give.. and she about sha& her pants. I heard the scream and thought someone was murdering her. The garage door opens and the daughter comes out playing with Gunther and laughing really hard.. seems he scared her mom in a big way. He barked for his treat like she'd taught him to do..

Normally he's a good dog. When I'm working in the garage he stays there.. he knows if he wanders I'll put the chain on him. So he lays there where I can see him until I stop checking because he's being so good. And then I find out that's when he sneaks off and trains the neighbors to give him snacks. Turns out 5-6 neighbors love him and gives him snacks.. so he makes the rounds and was coming back and laying down in the same spot before I caught him..

The GSD is a bigot. If you're white or Asian she's okay. If not.. her hair goes up and she goes on alert. Gunther in contrast loves them all, after all they all have treats..

IMG_0557.jpg

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Well , after all that , installing the new rectifier on the Bosch alternator ,
    I noticed that the pulley spins lop-sided / wobbly when spinning by hand …
    I’m assuming that the case got bent when trying to remove the bearings …
    I don’t think I can run the alternator with the pulley all wobbly , right ?
    I wouldn't. Will probably cause stress on the belt and other pulleys.

Page 635 of 670 FirstFirst ... 135535585610625626627628629630631632633634635636637638639640641642643644645660 ... LastLast