Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: White Pony Resurrection - My road to 1000hp

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    While I like the look of the Jon Volk box there for coolant overflow and catch can, I don't like the idea that those two could ever have the possibility of cross contamination
    Thick gauge aluminum plate separates the two chambers. Don’t think it should be of concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bavdrftr318 View Post
    Thick gauge aluminum plate separates the two chambers. Don’t think it should be of concern.

Yeah, I know, it shouldn't be of concern....I just think of cars that share cooling parts (like the Ferrari 360) where a breach happens eventually, and now we have contamination. I don't know how thick the seam is between the tanks, I'm sure its fine
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    '97 M3
    ^^^ That’s not likely though.

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    did you pull the VC yet??? Im hoping its not what I think it is...

98 Fern Green M3/2 - Precision 6870/AR Designs Twin Scroll/RK/E85
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmaxx - Family Whip
    2011 Pierce 75' Quint - Fire Apparatus West Islip FD

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Pulled VC and seals look good. Ughhhhhhh.......

My Cars
    507whp 318i

White Pony Resurrection - My road to 1000hp

Time has been hard to come by lately but I have a few more updates.

I replaced all 24 valve seals in hopes that would fix the issue but no dice there.

I also just for shits ran a compression test and leakdown and they came back with damn near perfect results.

I have yet to fully bypass the turbo to completely eliminate the turbo but it seems unlikely. I guess perhaps from the exhaust scavenging it COULD pull oil back into the motor if it was pissing oil out the exhaust side and pouring right down into my exhausts runners.

Since I have to pull that off anyway in the process of pulling the motor I might as well test that just to make sure.

Last edited by bavdrftr318; 01-01-2019 at 09:32 AM.

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    I remember Anthony had a smoking car with total seal rings, hope its not the same issue.

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by E36 HateR View Post
    I remember Anthony had a smoking car with total seal rings, hope its not the same issue.
    Yeah his pistons apparently needed oil support rails or something and he forgot them completely. Hence the 6 wet plugs and the 6 wet intake ports.

I am almost 100% certain I assembled all 3 pieces of the oil control ring correctly which is why I’m so hesitant to pull the motor (besides that it’s a bitch and I don’t want to do it again lol).

Even less likely I total messed it up across every single piston....

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    How many miles are on the engine now? I just rebuilt an S54 and it burned oil for 500 miles. I was worried it would never go away.. but it did.
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    507whp 318i

Quote Originally Posted by bubela View Post
    How many miles are on the engine now? I just rebuilt an S54 and it burned oil for 500 miles. I was worried it would never go away.. but it did.
    50 miles or so. Before you say “that’s crazy no way the rings are seated yet” I did a compression and leakdown and the engine is super tight. Like 3% on leakdown across all 6 holes.

I beat the hell outta the motor right out of the gate and probably 40 of these 50 miles are running it really hard.

This isn’t just a little bit of smoking. I burned 1/2qt of oil in 20 miles of driving. When I take off at a light I crop dust the entire intersection.

Last edited by bavdrftr318; 01-02-2019 at 07:57 PM.

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Pic of your turbo drain

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Pic of your turbo drain
    Right above oil plug. The 90 bend corner on the an fitting goes almost flush with the very bottom of the pan.

Not ideal at all but the line is 30 inches long at -10 hose. Some say no way it’s backing up and other say the opposite.

The real question is if I have oil spewing out my exhaust side of the turbo can it make its way through the exhaust manifold and back into the engine?

My Cars
    86 325es
    No oil in the charge pipes? The piston rings arn't upside down are they? If the rings are upside down it will pass compression and leakdown but it will smoke like a tire fire.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Right above oil plug. The 90 bend corner on the an fitting goes almost flush with the very bottom of the pan.

Not ideal at all but the line is 30 inches long at -10 hose. Some say no way it’s backing up and other say the opposite.

The real question is if I have oil spewing out my exhaust side of the turbo can it make its way through the exhaust manifold and back into the engine?

My car with worn valve stem seals never smoked ut when i removed the intake manifold there was oil in the ports, my old top mount smoked crazy because of the angle of the fitting you could be having the same issue.

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    My car with worn valve stem seals never smoked ut when i removed the intake manifold there was oil in the ports, my old top mount smoked crazy because of the angle of the fitting you could be having the same issue.
    The machine shop replaced the valve seals and then I came behind them after I saw smoking and had to replace all of them again just to make sure they didn’t put the wrong seals in.

That leaves the drain backing up from the oil drain. Hopefully that is the issue, just find it a little unlikely it’s getting pulled all the way back into the motor from the exhaust manifold.

My Cars
    507whp 318i

Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    No oil in the charge pipes? The piston rings arn't upside down are they? If the rings are upside down it will pass compression and leakdown but it will smoke like a tire fire.
    Definitely right side up for top and second. If I recall there isn’t an “up” for the two rings that go on either side of the oil control ring.

And correct no oil in charge pipes.

Last edited by bavdrftr318; 01-03-2019 at 10:11 AM.

My Cars
    Lotus Super 7
    Man, I'm as stumped as you, but am very interested to see what ends up solving it.
    Attention TURBO LOVERS, Great book -----> How to turbocharge and Tune your Engine

Favorite Automotive Tuning Articles on the Internet: Engine Tuning Articles
    My Car: Custom Build Lotus Super 7

My Cars
    86 325es
    I suspect it has a broken, bent, or othersize screwed up 2nd ring on one or more pistons but I wish you the best of luck.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    I suspect it has a broken, bent, or othersize screwed up 2nd ring on one or more pistons but I wish you the best of luck.
    It would have to be all 6 as I have oil in all 6 holes.

Also you can pass leakdown and compression test fine and still have botched 2nd rings???

My Cars
    86 325es
    It would have to be all 6 as I have oil in all 6 holes.

Also you can pass leakdown and compression test fine and still have botched 2nd rings???

You could leave the 2nd rings out and still pass a compression test

My Cars
    507whp 318i

Found out it’s definitely from the drain backing up. I know I don’t have the best drain location but you would think with like 24” of line that is not under oil level ... gravity would do its job.

Literally within a second of starting the car the line is completely flooded and going nowhere. I’m worried even if I moved the drain up as high as possible on the pan it wouldn’t help.

I know timing cover is king but my wastegate dump tube is kinda in the way....

Maybe scavenge pump is my only option....

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Found out it’s definitely from the drain backing up. I know I don’t have the best drain location but you would think with like 24” of line that is not under oil level ... gravity would do its job.

Literally within a second of starting the car the line is completely flooded and going nowhere. I’m worried even if I moved the drain up as high as possible on the pan it wouldn’t help.

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

The angle is the problem, not the location, i had the same problem.

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    I've got a couple new fittings to see if I can reduce the angle length coming out of the pan. Before on the bottom mount setup i had a 1/2"npt to 10an adapter to the pan that was a 45 degree.

Currently I have a 1/2npt to 10an straight adapter, then this big 90 connector. This ended up creating about a 2 inch section of a downward slope before it hits the 90 bend and starts to go back up.

We will see. I have a few oil restrictors too to play with up top. I know a restrictor on a JB setup is controversial, but this thing flows like a damn firehose so I don't think I have anything to worry about.

Can you tell I'm willing to do anything besides drop the pan and retap? lol

My Cars
    86 325es
    Are you certain there is nothing obstructing the fitting or hose going into the pan?

This is mine just for reference. It’s well below the oil level and actually enters the pan at an upward angle

The reason a journal bearing turbo normally doesn’t need a restrictor is because the bearing clearance basically controls the amount of oil that can flow through the turbo since it has to pass between the bearing and shaft. I would try like a .060” restrictor and see what happens.

My Cars
    99 Turbo M3

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

how is this possible? you have multiple people on FB telling you, including me. To pull the pan. Move the drain. Fix the issue and move on. don't band aid with a scavenge system. The difference between your turbo and mine is nill. Drop the subframe. pull the pan. Move it to the highest point. There will be no issues its been proven by many BW journal bearing builds. you'll be fine. this is your only issue. I wish I would have said something when I saw your pan the first time.

99 Turbo M3 - BWs366 - RSI - Fuse Fabrication - JE Cutring -

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast