Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny's Japan Rot 540i Touring Thread

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    Yup! That is a known issue with the X5 sadly. Glad to hear it wasn't more serious.
    I'm just glad it happened so close to home and not on a long road trip!
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Good news! It turned out to be the front driveshaft— the stock X5 ones are slightly too short so they slip out and the splines strip, which is exactly what happened to mine. It slipped out and threw grease everywhere haha.

I tried to run the X5 without the front driveshaft, thinking that I could just have it as RWD. Apparently that's not how the transfer case works, so the X5 didn't move at all. There are no more grinding noises when it's in gear though, so the front driveshaft was definitely the cause of the problem. I'm going to buy a new front driveshaft— there are modified ones that are about half an inch longer which fixes the issue of the driveshaft being too short and slipping out.

There are no codes or check engine lights otherwise, I checked with PA Soft and INPA. The transmission and engine seem a-okay, so it looks like I may have dodged a bullet here.
    I think you just need to pull the fuse for the transfer case to run it in RWD mode, but don't you need to seal up the front diff to do that?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I was actually thinking that maybe something must have gone wrong between the transfer case and the front diff and axles. Glad it was just an axle that decided to quit playing games. Sounds like an easy and a cheap fix ... I hope.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Re RWD... Maybe there's some early X cars where it will work but usually at best there's complications, at worst it doesn't work. On Audis they used to weld the center diff's up to make it work, but that sometimes leads to blowing up other stuff that wasn't meant to carry all the torque, like rear diffs.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    I think you just need to pull the fuse for the transfer case to run it in RWD mode, but don't you need to seal up the front diff to do that?
    You're thinking of the facelift (2004+) E53 X5's with the electronic transfer cases. Those have a variable front-rear split and can be tricked into being RWD only. The older X5's like mine have a fixed transfer case that's 60/40 rear/front full time without any switching. That's probably why my little trick didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    I was actually thinking that maybe something must have gone wrong between the transfer case and the front diff and axles. Glad it was just an axle that decided to quit playing games. Sounds like an easy and a cheap fix ... I hope.
    It was a driveshaft, not an axle haha. It is a relatively cheap fix with new driveshafts being generally under $300. It's a much simpler driveshaft than the rear one— it's just one piece. The splines go into the transfer case and it connects to the front differential with a flex disc. Super simple. I'm just happy about how little labor went into removing the driveshaft, I only needed to remove the lower reinforcement plate. Normally when replacing a driveshaft there are heat shields and exhausts to drop (like on the E39).

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Re RWD... Maybe there's some early X cars where it will work but usually at best there's complications, at worst it doesn't work. On Audis they used to weld the center diff's up to make it work, but that sometimes leads to blowing up other stuff that wasn't meant to carry all the torque, like rear diffs.
    It's actually the other way around— the newer (2004+) X5's have a variable transfer case that can electronically distribute power to whichever wheels need it, so there are people who have tricked it into being RWD-only. The older X5's have a mechanical transfer case with a fixed ratio that is full time AWD without any switching or whatnot.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Thats great news Danny! Would be sad to see a 4.6is parted. Those things are becoming unicorn blood...

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    It's actually the other way around— the newer (2004+) X5's have a variable transfer case that can electronically distribute power to whichever wheels need it, so there are people who have tricked it into being RWD-only. The older X5's have a mechanical transfer case with a fixed ratio that is full time AWD without any switching or whatnot.
    Yeah OK then you'd need to do the thing the Audi whackos do - weld the F-fer case diff.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Thats great news Danny! Would be sad to see a 4.6is parted. Those things are becoming unicorn blood...
    Yeah, the 4.6is isn't very common anymore, thanks to all the vultures that parted them out for their valuable 4.6 engines. Mine has 214k miles and I'd love to see it go further, so hopefully a new driveshaft fixes everything

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Yeah OK then you'd need to do the thing the Audi whackos do - weld the F-fer case diff.
    Wait a second. Audis are FWD-biased, so those whackos are actually trying to make their cars FWD? What a bunch of misguided fools. Might as well buy a Honda at that point. Or are they trying to do RWD?

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Totes completely wrong Danny. The true Quattro's are true AWD. Yes some of the later low-end VW golf / polo based cars (I.e. A3 or lower) are more of a "FWD" based system using Haldex center diffs like a Volvo or VW, but the real Quattro cars have been and continue to be legit all heavy metal parts AWD systems. In old days it was a (fairly bulletproof) Audi proprietary tranny including (usually a Torsen) center diff, sending power back to a rear diff by a conventional driveshaft. The tranny sits longitudinally behind the motor after a clutch just like any conventional RWD setup.

Here's what it would look like.

You can open up the center diff and weld it solid.

Some guys do it for RWD conversion but others do it for ice or rally type builds where car stays AWD.

Later cars use ZF AWD trannies w front axles, so for instance a 5HP24A was used often in early aughts. Since the 5HP24 is a RWD tranny obv - using the AWD modified version of that demonstrates it's nothing like a "FWD based" setup, its like that Audi tranny above....
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    are slow
    Yeah, the 4.6is isn't very common anymore, thanks to all the vultures that parted them out for their valuable 4.6 engines. Mine has 214k miles and I'd love to see it go further, so hopefully a new driveshaft fixes everything

Wait a second. Audis are FWD-biased, so those whackos are actually trying to make their cars FWD? What a bunch of misguided fools. Might as well buy a Honda at that point. Or are they trying to do RWD?
    Audi only recently committed suicide with their new Allroad. 40\60 (to the rear) split became the norm a while back, but before it was proper 50\50.

When the angle gear (Haldex) on my S60R breaks, I'm pulling the driveshaft out completely. There's nothing wrong with a FWD European car, plenty of Audis (most of which happen to be better with Quattro) the early GTI, and even the Corrado comes to mind.
    Last edited by XAlt; 01-30-2017 at 01:24 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Interesting, I was not aware of that. Then again, my knowledge of Audi is pretty minimal, all I know is that the newer ones are terrible to work on and require removing the whole front clip for most engine work. I just assumed that VW = FWD biased, since pretty much all of VW's cars at this point are FWD.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah you need an insiders guide to keep track of which cars are what kind of tech w/ VW/Audi.

Old VW Quantums were really Audi Quattro drivetrains, but most VW 4Motion cars are FWD/Haldex setups as are the Audi A3 and TT Quattros, etc. But then most of the core models retain "true" Audi-engineered AWD systems. Etc.

When it dumps snow I miss having one, they are truly a blast to drive when the roads are slippyslidey. Bit front heavy and understeering on real dry conditions because that tranny setup as you can imagine requires sticking the longitudinal engine out the front, but you kind of make up for that with 4-wheel oversteer. The good turbo motors are excellent too and a load of fun and have loads of tuning potential. And like iron block BMW's are hella bulletproof internally until you get really insane about boosting them.

Re: the front clip off stuff - there's a few misunderstandings about that too.

First on many of those cars for anything normal you don't actually have to take it all the way off. It's designed to unbolt and pull out a bit without everything being removed and give you front end access. Second, it's not the big deal it sounds like. It's actually quite easy, at least on the models I've done it on... used to take me no time at all and made working on the front of motor stuff 1000x better. I WISH the E39 had something that was that easy to open up extra space! Third, that's not at all the real hassle factor to trash Audi for. The real things to take shots at them for are:

...The complex V8's w/ elaborate timing chain systems on the back of the motor and a complex accessory drive that goes through the motor, and require thousands of dollars just in parts to service. Makes doing an M62TU guide job look like getting free beejayz from supermodels while sitting on the beach sipping margaritas. That setup and motor is a disaster, sadly so since it's a great driver when it runs well.

...To a lesser degree the earlier twin-turbo cars where the motor has to come out to service the turbos. That's where the front-clip coming off entirely does come in, but again that's not the 'bad' part about it, even taking the front off ("Service Position") entirely is pretty easy because again its designed to be so... The bad part on those is the full motor pull just to rebuild turbos. And honestly even that's not that bad, I know B5 / C5 guys who think about that like YOU would think about doing a guide job... "Sure a bit of work but no big deal and really an easy weekend job, I've done 5 this year..."
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Oh yeah, the V8's with the insane timing chains are a nightmare. It's like the engineers who designed that engine were huge fans of Rube Goldberg.

I just don't like Audi's approach to engines, they've generally had smaller engines with boost (aside from the handful of V8's they've done). I prefer bigger naturally aspirated engines in general (I know BMW isn't N/A anymore, but I don't mess with newer BMWs).

I also don't like that Audis are just glorified VWs for the most part nowadays. Tons of shared parts and a lot of them look really similar too. If I bought one new for like $40k I'd be mad that some peasant with a $20k VW has a car that looks nearly the same. That's why I prefer BMW and Mercedes, because they don't have crappy lower tier brands to dilute their image. It's a pretty dumb reason but it matters to me— that's also why I'd never buy a Lexus or a Lamborghini, because a Lexus is a Toyota and a Lamborghini is a glorified Audi which is a glorified VW (for the last 10 years at least).

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Oh yeah, the V8's with the insane timing chains are a nightmare. It's like the engineers who designed that engine were huge fans of Rube Goldberg.

I just don't like Audi's approach to engines, they've generally had smaller engines with boost (aside from the handful of V8's they've done). I prefer bigger naturally aspirated engines in general (I know BMW isn't N/A anymore, but I don't mess with newer BMWs).

I also don't like that Audis are just glorified VWs for the most part nowadays. Tons of shared parts and a lot of them look really similar too. If I bought one new for like $40k I'd be mad that some peasant with a $20k VW has a car that looks nearly the same. That's why I prefer BMW and Mercedes, because they don't have crappy lower tier brands to dilute their image. It's a pretty dumb reason but it matters to me— that's also why I'd never buy a Lexus or a Lamborghini, because a Lexus is a Toyota and a Lamborghini is a glorified Audi which is a glorified VW (for the last 10 years at least).
    Are you high? Lamborghini's are not glorified Audis. I know that for sure, cause I have driven many Lamborghini's and audis, including R8s.
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    BMW
    M62 is an uncontrolled substance, and when abused can cause severe side effects. Do your drugs in moderation kids.

My Cars
    '99 540iT; '00 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by dk500 View Post
    Are you high? Lamborghini's are not glorified Audis. I know that for sure, cause I have driven many Lamborghini's and audis, including R8s.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini

Almighty wiki says VW/Audi owned. I'm pretty sure the R8 and some Lambo shared an engine at one point. Plus, didn't VW make a prototype Golf with the Lambo power plant just to say they can?

Edit:
    Quick Google search has me corrected.
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...h+lambo+engine

It wasn't VW that made the Lambo-powered Golf, it was some performance shop. Still pretty cool either way.
    Last edited by augustballer; 01-30-2017 at 07:09 PM.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    BMW own mini. A 7 series isn't exactly a "glorified mini." I wouldn't call that sound logic

Sharing an engine is isn't the same as it being the same car

BMW 850CSI