Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: E34 540i/6 Turbo Build

My Cars
    E38 728i

Color

Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    I'll take a few while on the dyno soon.
    Hi!
    A bit of a sidenote, but is it possible to recreate that color you painted your 7 in?

Might be the nicest one I've seen.
    Last edited by NGMkaj; 01-08-2017 at 06:43 PM. Reason: got answer

My Cars
    4.9L 540i/Porsche 997
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Haha, what? Strange opinion coming from someone who has gone through what you have gone through to get the results that you have gotten...
    Not really. Why turbo if under 600 rwhp? What I went through was from criminals posing as legit tuner shops. If I was shooting for 500 rwhp, s/c is so much easier. Now, if I had his skils, siure I would turbo, but I would go big. Relax it was only a freekin question.
    22RPD Tuning '95 540i/6 custom turbo mit Borg Warner S400sxe/Rebello Racing 4.9L M62/JE pistons/Arrow rods/custom cams/S62 crankshaft/Darton sleeved/Focal custom stereo
    Porsche 996 Turbo Evosport GT 700-[700hp]-my daily

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Well. It was posed as what we call a "rhetorical question" (ill wait while you look that up... ), implying criticism and that there is some odd 500 vs 600whp Mendoza line for turbo vs SC, which is just idiotic.

This car will be plenty "big" i am sure, and a typical peak 500whp turbo is gonna have way more area under the curve vs a peak 500whp SC. I could assplain the area under the curve thing to you but, i just dont have the energy today.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz66 View Post
    What hp/tq numbers are you aiming for? Seems like a lot of work if under 900 rwhp
    That is what you wrote. I'm plenty relaxed, and I still think it's an odd opinion to state.

I guess I didn't need to qualify it as being odd when stated by you, but having read your threads, it really does make it extra strange.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Little update:
    Removed 10psi springs and installed 5psi springs in the waste gates.

Mounted the billet 3-4port boost solenoid bracket and rewired the solenoid with a better connector.

Modified the throttle cable bracket to remove the ICV mount portion. Installed new ICV bracket my friend made for me.

Asked him to make me new clamps similar to my charge pipe clamps to replace the t-bolts for ICV hose so that they all look similar.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by NGMkaj View Post
    Hi! A bit of a sidenote, but is it possible to recreate that color you painted your 7 in? Might be the nicest one I've seen.
    Yes. Somewhere in my 750il thread, I posted the components and color code of that paint.

Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Cool stuff!! Man you're getting close to making some noise with this thing.
    Yep, getting there a bit at a time.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Exhaust is done for now. Fairly simple and straight forward. The Rage Evolution stainless steel blade showed up today, and it cuts the stainless materials way too easily. Highly recommend it.

Used one 3" ultra quiet vibrant resonator.
    Might change the rear section later on after I install the m5 bumper and to add an exhaust tip. Maybe another resonator if I don't like the current sound.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Nice updates. Cant wait to see this thing in action

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Got some good and bad news.

Good: 1. Had a fuel pressure problem, turned out to be mixed up lines at the gas tank connection. Fixed that, fuel was working perfect, engine ran great. Idled really smooth, even at 15.5-16.0 afr, with 1000cc injectors, not even a lean pop or any fluctuation. 2. Car wouldn't build more than .5psi at 3k rpm and then would go back into vacuum at WOT and pulled more vacuum as the RPM got higher. Turned out to be way too restrictive of an inter cooler, so bypassed it temporarily and it spooled right to 5psi like a flick of a switch. Engine ran really well, but too rich 9-10afr on that first pull with boost. Even with excessively rich afr, it put down 312whp at 5psi. That's around 410hp crank on this dyno. Boost is holding very nice and steady at 5psi, the twin 44mm wastegates working good. 70mm turbo spooled up much earlier than I was hoping for as well. T3 with .81 twin scroll is responsible for that.

Bad: Pulled 10% fuel and went for another pull next pull the afr was at a perfect 12:1, 5psi of boost, midway at about 4K rpm, catch can starts smoking a ton and loss of power. Oil cap started puking a bit. Motor definitely hurt, looks like a broken ring land and pressurizing of crankcase. This engine had an oil pressure issue previously, where oil pump gear came off the pump and it was driven a few miles with 0 oil pressure. Not sure at this point yet if timing was an issue or previous oil problem. Motor ran amazingly smooth and well before started pouring smoke, so we'll see. I'll verify timing before pulling the motor to confirm its where it should be. Buying a pair of m60 engines tomorrow, going to replace this one and have another as a spare. They're dirt cheap, so it's not even a big downer. Just a minor setback with time. Also going with a new treadstone 750hp intercooler, so that won't be an issue again. Drag radials have arrived, now just waiting for Weld Racing to build my wheels and ship them while I swap the motor

Last edited by DUDMD; 01-17-2017 at 06:02 PM.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    Damn that sucks.

did you verify ignition timing to see if it was synced? What kind of timing was in it when it broke?

crazy about the intercooler. I wonder if it's clogged somewhere
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    This is kind of gutting for me in light of the work I've been putting into getting my e39 540 setup together. Another M6x biting the dust on low boost from a responsive turbo... I'm afraid these suckers are just fragile.

That is super weird about the intercooler, I've never heard anything like that unless like dburt86 said, it's clogged. Other than that, maybe massive boost leak from it somewhere?

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Intercooler was clear of any debris, I could easily blow through it. I think it was because same side in out, the opening inside was 2.5x5" for 2', then do a 180 and again go through a small opening of 2.5x5" inside, if you add up all the blockage from the bars and fins, its unuseable unless you convert it to 1 side in, 1 side out like a normal intercooler.
    Treadstone intercooler I'll be getting will be a completely different design and will not have any flow problems.
    I'll change the outlet chargepipe to throttle body and route a different way. Just need to confirm the intercooler is not too long and will fit in my opening before ordering it.

Quote Originally Posted by dburt86 View Post
    Damn that sucks.

did you verify ignition timing to see if it was synced? What kind of timing was in it when it broke?

crazy about the intercooler. I wonder if it's clogged somewhere

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I agree on the IC thing - not surprised you have pressure issues, but am surprised they are so dramatic! Weird.

Bummer about motor man. Hope for the best, but highly plausible something was weakened from the old oil problem but only gave way under power.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    This is kind of gutting for me in light of the work I've been putting into getting my e39 540 setup together. Another M6x biting the dust on low boost from a responsive turbo... I'm afraid these suckers are just fragile.

That is super weird about the intercooler, I've never heard anything like that unless like dburt86 said, it's clogged. Other than that, maybe massive boost leak from it somewhere?
    Had a few tiny boost leaks, nothing that will stop me seeing boost. The main indicator of the intercooler being the issue is I was pulling vacuum at WOT, it was about -6hg of vacuum near redline, it should've stayed at 0 if boost leaks/exhaust leaks/wastegates were the issue.

I figured out why it went down. The basemap I got from maxxecu that they used on a turbo m60 volvo with e85 had a wrong angle for tdc position after missing tooth. Not their fault, they told me to confirm it with timing gun. I blanked out yesterday after I fixed the fuel issue, and then the boost issue, and freezing temps that day that I forgot to make sure it was correct. They might've got away with it on e85 or changed it to correct angle later. It was set to 45 degrees of crank rotation.

I went back to day, barely got it running and locked the ignition angle to 0degrees to verify timing.
    The problem I noticed right away after pulling the engine fan/charge pipe. If you set the piston to TDC position/mark (O/T), you then have another mark at 45 degree of rotation, and a few teeth later the missing teeth occur. That right away told me the 45 setting was most likely incorrect. Timing light showed the spark occurred much earlier than tdc at 0 degree lock. I changed the setting to 60 degrees in the software, and it's a perfect match. Timing light indicated right onto the TDC mark with 0 degree of ignition lock. That means my ignition was 15 degrees too advanced, so it ran with about 35-38 degrees of timing with 5psi, where a stock m60/m62 runs no more than 30 degrees with an aggressive tune. That's gotta hurt the pistons real good to add boost and insane amount of timing on 92 pump with 10:1 compression.

No big deal, lesson learned the hard way. My brother is picking up another engine with even less miles tomorrow in California for dirt cheap. Should have it here in about a week and then swap time. This will give me an opportunity to change a few things up, install fuel press sensor and ethanol sensor without the engine in the way. No big deal, I'm just glad I figured the intercooler issue now.

I'm excited to get it back to running, turbo spools better than anticipated and it spools up hard. Probably want around 450whp on pump gas for a nice and safe setup, and then turn up the boost on E85 or MS109 after pump gas setup is all dialed in and working.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I agree on the IC thing - not surprised you have pressure issues, but am surprised they are so dramatic! Weird.

Bummer about motor man. Hope for the best, but highly plausible something was weakened from the old oil problem but only gave way under power.
    See the response about my timing problem above.
    Engine had over 10k miles after the oil problem, hundreds of full throttle pulls, dozens of dyno runs, and was the smoothest running and quietest M60 I ever came across after I fired it up yesterday with properly working fuel system. Even with the 1000cc injectors at 16.0 AFR lean idle on 95A poly mounts. I think it was ok, and timing ate it.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    Called it on the timing sync. Ive made that mistake before. Even going from the same motor, sometimes end up different.

Good luck with the next one. It should make good power.
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Well, that is encouraging news then on the timing being so far out.

Still very odd about that intercooler, I've used one like that to great effect, and many many others have as well... Very strange. That's a lot of vacuum for WOT, I figured you meant just the normal tiny amount of vacuum like is normally seen at WOT on an N/A engine.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Sucks to hear about the motor man. Hopefully you can get it back running soon!

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    After lunch, decided to get the engine pulled out. 2 people working on it, had the engine out completely and on the shop floor disassembling the turbo kit in exactly 2 hours to the dot.
    Have never pulled a V8 bmw engine that fast before. Only had to remove one dump tube and downpipe to pull the engine straight up and out.

Noticed a few small exhaust leaks, that will get fixed when installing on the new engine, so that will help with spool even more.

Entire exhaust manifold setup all together on the floor

Went on Treadstones website to see what intercoolers they got that will work. I liked the TRV125 and 185 series intercoolers, so I decided to make boxes to replicate their dimensions. Turns out I can run their big TRV1859 intercooler, that's 720hp efficient.
    Should flow really well even if I were to run high boost. Core size is 18x9x3.5, with same side in/out but vertical flow.

Box with dimensions of TRV1859 fits in there pretty loosely with the radiator mounted in place.

Best deal for TRV1859 was from mapperformance at $320 with free shipping, plus 5% off discount code, was $303 shipped, while it's $388 + $55 shipping directly from treadstone. Google shopping search for the win and save $140 in 5 minutes of looking around.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i
    Absolutely love this project!

After finding out how quick the turbo is spooling any plans for a bigger unit?

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli2k View Post
    Absolutely love this project! After finding out how quick the turbo is spooling any plans for a bigger unit?
    Not yet. Would rather have better midrange over just top end power.
    Well will see how it goes after new motor and inter cooler are in.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    had the same idea with my setup. Seeing as how my engine doesnt really rev high, I dont understand the point of having those huge laggy turbos that only make power all the way at the top of the rev band.
    Not yet. Would rather have better midrange over just top end power.
    Well will see how it goes after new motor and inter cooler are in.

PTE6262 .63 A/R, Stock S52, Cutring/Copper Spacer/Arp Studs Combo, Water Methanol Injected
    10.9@131mph. #AngerMotorsports

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Mylo View Post
    had the same idea with my setup. Seeing as how my engine doesnt really rev high, I dont understand the point of having those huge laggy turbos that only make power all the way at the top of the rev band.
    Dyno numbers and bragging right.
    My s600 put a lot of hurt with 460whp/600wtq on cars with similar whp at times with half the weight.
    That car hits full boost at around 2.5k rpm and then boost falls down near redline

Last edited by DUDMD; 01-17-2017 at 01:48 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    exactly, never understood the whole dyno queen and huge power scene. Why would you spend so much money to have something basically undriveable on the street or even tracks.
    Dyno numbers and bragging right.
    My s600 put a lot of hurt with 460whp/600wtq on cars with sand whp at times with half the weight.
    That car hits full boost at around 2.5k rpm and then boost falls down near redline

PTE6262 .63 A/R, Stock S52, Cutring/Copper Spacer/Arp Studs Combo, Water Methanol Injected
    10.9@131mph. #AngerMotorsports

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast