Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E39 vs. Prius

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport

E39 vs. Prius

Just have to rant. Met a client this afternoon in South Philly. Finished up around 7, made my way through the city light to light, dodging pot holes, SEPTA buses, taxis and hipsters on bicycles. Finally get to Kelly Drive, ready to drop the hammer on the 540, by far the best 4.2 miles of my trip home. What do I get? Some DB in a Prius, just cruising in the left lane, right next to the 3rd car of a lot in the right lane. About 2 miles in I finally get a big enough gap in the right lane to go around him. You can hear the NPR over my muffler deleted exhaust at 4000 rpm. Get around HER, not 3/4 mile later, another damn Prius, just dilly dallying in the left lane. ARGH!!!!

For those that know Philly, Kelly Drive runs right next to and follows the route of the Schuylkill River from East Falls to the Art Museum. (the steps Rocky conquered). It's a great road, really the only fun us city folk get. I just wanted to hit a few twisties, unwind a little before I got home. Now I'm fired up and unwinding with a bottle of Malbec.

Such a simple rule, keep right, pass left. How friggin' hard is that to follow?

Sorry for the rant but needed to vent. E39 related because I wanted to give my e39 a little run. Sorry James and other Mods if not appropriate for e39 sub forum.

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    Jfwiw to make this an e39 official thread, the E39 has a better coefficient of friction than the first version of the prius, so those granola munchers can go chew on that,

Also lay off the npr man, npr is not a prius thing its a lack of ignorance thing. you can drive a bmw and listen to npr.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    98 528i 00 ML430
    I had the opportunity of driving my E39 on the Autobahn (A3 and A5). Indeed, drive right-pass left. In Germany, if you want to pass someone in the inner lane, flash your high beams and they get out of the way.

In addition, you can also put your left blinkers on. That indicates I want to pass you. Again, they get out of the way.

I think I have driven my E39 in Germany as fast as 120mph.

My Cars
    '09 G8 GT
    I don't like Prius' and here in Boulder there are a lot of them. Luckily they aren't really mountain cars so I see few on my mountain road.
    M62L76

My Cars
    98 540I/6, 95 M, 00 Ram
    Couldnt you have just gotten right behind them flash your highs and lay on the horn? Thats what I do.

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    i used to have a sticker...

it still didnt work so i took it off not to get more attention from cops
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    Adding to the Prius hate-
    People buy them for gas mileage, economy, right? Top Gear did a test, ran a Prius around the track as fast as it would go, and ran the new M3 which just had to keep up. At the end, the Prius got 17 mpg and the V8 M3 got 19 mpg. It's all about how you drive it :P
    Effin' hippies!
    I honestly don't understand how people don't realize what a penis wrinkle they are staying in the left lane traveling below the damn speed limit!

My Cars
    1996 M3
    I should have taken a pic coming back from Mid-Ohio a few weekends ago. There was literally 20-30 vehicles in the left lane bumper to bumper on the interstate. And not but a handful of cars in the right lane as far as the eye could see. I just don't understand some drivers. That's why we will never see an autobahn in the states.

If I wasn't highly opposed to bumper stickers, I would have one that says "Don't be an a**, keep right except to pass".

My Cars
    '09 G8 GT
    there everywhere, those left lane sitters. i love when the right lane opens enough that I can stomp on it, blast by them on the right and then cut in front of them without the blinker and a bit close..... keeping the pedal to the metal and watching them disappear in the rear view.
    M62L76

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Left lane sitters male me PO'ed to begin with but I swear when someone leave the Toyota dealer with a Prius the dealer tells them "sit in the left lane or you'll warranty will be voided.". Either that or there's a bunch of a-holes over at PriusForums.com laughing their v*g*n*s off "I sat in the left lane on Kelly Drive tonight at 7.8 mph under the speed limit boxing this a-hole in a BMW in.". Reply: "Great job Jo (female of course) that Conservative, Gun Carrying, 18 MPG getting, P*nis having prick had it coming to him. Doesn't he know how he's destroying the Earth for our (adopted) Great Grandchildren's great Grandchildren's great grandchildren? That ignorant Conservative bast*rd.".

Some of you may be thinking I have anger management issues. (I'm sure the Prius owners do). And that may be the case, but doesn't mean I'm wrong either. Again, needed to vent.

My Cars
    1999 540i sport and more
    I hate when they sit in the left lane going under the speed limit and they see you coming up on them, still sitting there then you go to switch lanes to pass and they jump over or they switch over to the right lane after you pass them.

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4
    I listen to NPR sometimes. They have some interesting shows and the BBC news always offers a different, if not objective, perspective.

Can't stand the Prius, though. I see one and instantly think that the driver is a DB. I feel ya, OP.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyFTR View Post
    Left lane sitters male me PO'ed to begin with but I swear when someone leave the Toyota dealer with a Prius the dealer tells them "sit in the left lane or you'll warranty will be voided.". Either that or there's a bunch of a-holes over at PriusForums.com laughing their v*g*n*s off "I sat in the left lane on Kelly Drive tonight at 7.8 mph under the speed limit boxing this a-hole in a BMW in.". Reply: "Great job Jo (female of course) that Conservative, Gun Carrying, 18 MPG getting, P*nis having prick had it coming to him. Doesn't he know how he's destroying the Earth for our (adopted) Great Grandchildren's great Grandchildren's great grandchildren? That ignorant Conservative bast*rd."

Can I put this in my sig? hahahaha

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Guys, the NPR comment was just a comment. Let's focus on the rest of the story.

And I agree, right or wrong, I see a Prius and think DB. Don't think that way if I see a Volt though, not sure why.

I also get a lot of satisfaction knowing my e39, 171K miles and all, can wipe the road with those tree hugging pieces of sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by XDewa2008 View Post

Can I put this in my sig? hahahaha
    Sure, but spell check it first. I was on my iPhone and can't type worth a damn on it.
    Last edited by TommyFTR; 07-29-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '09 G8 GT
    I'm all for the environment, my career is in the natural product industry and I've been a long haired hippy most of my life.....
    That being said, the Prius is a piece of sxxt and the more gas I go thru tearin' it apart in my 540 the better !!!
    M62L76

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    You think left lanners are bad.. Try 2 way mountain roads and the majority of people have no idea what (Slow cars use turn out) or (slow traffic keep right) on passing lanes or the 5 car rule.

sometimes it just makes me want to pull over and sit for a good 2-3 min so that i can go on a clear road.
    Last edited by Dking078; 07-29-2011 at 12:21 AM.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbauman View Post
    I'm all for the environment, my career is in the natural product industry and I've been a long haired hippy most of my life.....
    That being said, the Prius is a piece of sxxt and the more gas I go thru tearin' it apart in my 540 the better !!!
    I'm not out to destroy the environment but I'm not going to subject myself to the utter boredom of a Prius either. I drive too much not to enjoy my time behind the wheel.

In all fairness, I actually hope the Prius drivers think I'm as much of an a-hole as I think they are. But I bet I ave a lot more fun driving than they do.

1,000th post (not that it means a damn thing. LOL)

My Cars
    E91, E39, 997 911
    Im the only one at work without one I think and to be perfectly honest, I sort of dig em. Sure they drive like crap but I totally dig all the cool gadgets and cruising in utter silence from light to light is pretty sweet.
    2007 Carerra S
    2009 E91
    1990 Toyo PU - POS
    2000 E39/5
    1976 911

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
    Im the only one at work without one I think and to be perfectly honest, I sort of dig em. Sure they drive like crap but I totally dig all the cool gadgets and cruising in utter silence from light to light is pretty sweet.
    Where do you work?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
    Don't BMWs have cool gadgets and cruise in utter silence too? (when they're new, LOL)
    IMO, the ability of the car to get out of its own way is more important than fuel economy.
    Last edited by XDewa2008; 07-29-2011 at 12:29 AM.
    Left lane sitters make me PO'ed to begin with but I swear when someone leaves the Toyota dealer with a Prius the dealer tells them "sit in the left lane or you'll warranty will be voided.". Either that or there's a bunch of a-holes over at PriusForums.com laughing their v*g*n*s off "I sat in the left lane on Kelly Drive tonight at 7.8 mph under the speed limit boxing this a-hole in a BMW in.". Reply: "Great job Jo (female of course) that Conservative, Gun Carrying, 18 MPG getting, P*nis having prick had it coming to him. Doesn't he know how he's destroying the Earth for our (adopted) Great Grandchildren's great Grandchildren's great grandchildren? That ignorant Conservative bast*rd."

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Don't BMWs do that too? (when they're new, LOL)
    IMO, the ability of the car to get out of its own way is more important than fuel economy.
    Didn't know you were serious about the sig but I love it.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    me too
    Left lane sitters make me PO'ed to begin with but I swear when someone leaves the Toyota dealer with a Prius the dealer tells them "sit in the left lane or you'll warranty will be voided.". Either that or there's a bunch of a-holes over at PriusForums.com laughing their v*g*n*s off "I sat in the left lane on Kelly Drive tonight at 7.8 mph under the speed limit boxing this a-hole in a BMW in.". Reply: "Great job Jo (female of course) that Conservative, Gun Carrying, 18 MPG getting, P*nis having prick had it coming to him. Doesn't he know how he's destroying the Earth for our (adopted) Great Grandchildren's great Grandchildren's great grandchildren? That ignorant Conservative bast*rd."

My Cars
    '99 540i/6 (sold)
    doh!

2018 Genesis G80 Sport 3.3T AWD Havana Red
    2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 (sold)
    2013 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec (sold)
    1999 540i/6 (sold)

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dareckibmw View Post
    doh!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Adding to the Prius hate-
    People buy them for gas mileage, economy, right? Top Gear did a test, ran a Prius around the track as fast as it would go, and ran the new M3 which just had to keep up. At the end, the Prius got 17 mpg and the V8 M3 got 19 mpg. It's all about how you drive it :P
    Your memory is a little shot. The Prius got 3mpg while the M3 got 19mpg.

Don't BMWs have cool gadgets and cruise in utter silence too? (when they're new, LOL)
    I kind of agree. I would rather have a car that is safe than fuel efficient. That is one of the primary issues with the Prius. They sacrifice everything for fuel economy. Big sticky brakes, Sway bars, Wide tires, All amount to good handling and the ability to move out the way of an obstacle when that obstacle comes. To have a little power on top of that and have the ability to put your foot down and move out the way of something. That is also a plus.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast