Page 4 of 206 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your e21 today?

My Cars
    1982 323i, 1997 318iS
    Quote Originally Posted by davidgoerndt View Post
    I was introduced to oversteer/understeer very early in my driving experience. I learned to drive in Minnesota and during the winter oversteer and understeer were recreational pursuits and, sometimes, a matter of survival!
    Yeah, snow and ice and a 2 ton '78 Caprice with a 350 are not good things. There was about an inch of it on the ground when I was learning to drive.

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by TKO383 View Post
    Well it's nice to see that neither M10 or SBC gasket technology has gone anywhere since the 70s. The front of my oil pan leaks

Sample size? Standard deviation? CP? Did you do an MSA on your measurement system to prove it was capable before you collected data? Joking aside, I assume it was repeatable after the re-bleed? Did you measure before you re-bled?
    lol, yeah... I think it's actually coming from the head gasket where it seals between the upper and lower timing cover and running all over the place from there. I did not replace that gasket, maybe I didn't get it clean enough or get it re-sealed with goop well enough. I shoulda used "right stuff". Oh well, I'll wipe the motor down once a month for now. I just hate how oil gets everywhere...

Your pan is leaking even with one of those new felpro foam rubber gaskets? My truck is still bone dry. And after pulling those two intake manifold bolts that were seeping oil and coating the threads and bolt head with right stuff the leak has stopped.

My clutch testing was hardly scientific, though it did feel very consistent after the bleeding. I couldn't drive the car today for further analysis, severe scattered thunderstorms...
    Last edited by jrcook320; 06-11-2010 at 01:16 PM.

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    '86 IROC, '89 GTA
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcook320 View Post
    lol, yeah... I think it's actually coming from the head gasket where it seals between the upper and lower timing cover and running all over the place from there. I did not replace that gasket, maybe I didn't get it clean enough or get it re-sealed with goop well enough. I shoulda used "right stuff". Oh well, I'll wipe the motor down once a month for now. I just hate how oil gets everywhere...
    Can't you just dump some Bar's Leak or something in the motor oil and stop that? How about Smoke-B-Gone?

Your pan is leaking even with one of those new felpro foam rubber gaskets?
    Yes, both the Camaro and the TA leak, so it's not the Canton pan on my Camaro. I'm using the same blue rubber pan gasket you used, I get a drip at the front of the pan. It won't leak on the floor, it is just moist there and collects grime. Neither of them leaked right away, I think it took a year or so for my Camaro to start seeping so you've got a while yet

My clutch testing was hardly scientific, though it did feel very consistent after the bleeding. I couldn't drive the car today for further analysis, severe scattered thunderstorms...
    Storms? No storms here until tonight. I just took the Camaro to Lowes to get some stuff. A guy in the parking lot looked at me kinda funny when I put the hatch up and he saw the roll bar as I tossed a bag of grass seed in the back.

Maybe we can do a more accurate repeatability test next weekend if the car still gives you problems. Does engine or clutch temp seem to affect it?(I seem to remember you saying it only did it when you are returning home) I ask because I had some problems with my Camaro Tuesday night. I got stuck in traffic and the clutch started dragging real bad, I couldn't hardly get it in or out of gear unless the car was rolling. I remembered I had adjusted the pivot on my clutch fork this winter, so adjusted it in 1/4 turn so the clutch would disengage farther. I went to a cruise-in last night and took a wrong turn, got stuck in traffic waiting on a train, the car never acted up at all. So basically mine drove fine until it got hot then it started dragging really bad. I'm not sure what is growing and moving so much it would start dragging, but it sure seemed fixed last night despite much more "abuse" in traffic.
    '86 IROC-Z Camaro 383/TKO600/C4 IRS

My Cars
    82 320i
    My 240 use to have the same problem. It was a combination of a few things. A one of the tension bars that runs around the perimeter of the pp was broken. And the slave cylinder was going out. The slave went out on me and i just decided to do a new clutch since i had the cash.

My Cars
    '79 320/6

What I did today...

Let's see,
    1) repainted the rocker panels black,
    2) drove to client's house for meeting,
    3) broke the s**t out of my drivers side taillight and antenna backing out of their driveway. "where'd that damn bush come from???",
    4) drove the 50 miles back looking like a ricer in a beat up car,
    5) swapped out the busted pieces and buffed out the paint because....
    you know if you own an E21 when you have a complete parts department in your garage....
    I still drive daily with no commute...
    The Hazard is All, Praise the Hazard!

My Cars
    e84, e36, e21
    - Undercoated my fuel tanks.
    - Straightened my 25' roll of 5/16" line, cut it in half, formed one of my fuel lines (other line, complete with pics will follow tomorrow.

My Cars
    80 320i, 87 325 i & is
    Don't laugh. Ok, fine, laugh. Whatever.

Tried to change oil:

Oil pan drain plug is stripped. Not the threads; the bolt head itself. And it seems to be in there damn tight. Tried with vice grips and made it worse. Tried with pipe wrench and made it.. yep, even worse.

Jacked it up a bit for more room; almost dropped the damn car onto the jackstand (don't ask). Decided that this most simple of tasks is now going to require a f*cking blowtorch and a chunk of dry ice, which means for me it's not a simple task anymore. No, I have never used a blow torch before. First time for everything, I know.

Gave up for today. Drove the car over to the beer store and bought beer. And cigarettes. Then played Mozart for two hours, which is best with beer and cigarettes.

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    Quote Originally Posted by Clio320i View Post
    Don't laugh. Ok, fine, laugh. Whatever.

Tried to change oil:

Oil pan drain plug is stripped. Not the threads; the bolt head itself. And it seems to be in there damn tight. Tried with vice grips and made it worse. Tried with pipe wrench and made it.. yep, even worse.

Jacked it up a bit for more room; almost dropped the damn car onto the jackstand (don't ask). Decided that this most simple of tasks is now going to require a f*cking blowtorch and a chunk of dry ice, which means for me it's not a simple task anymore. No, I have never used a blow torch before. First time for everything, I know.

Gave up for today. Drove the car over to the beer store and bought beer. And cigarettes. Then played Mozart for two hours, which is best with beer and cigarettes.
    Damnn. What an ass of a day. Btw, are you a string player? You strike me as a violinist.
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    2 E21s, E28, Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by midlifebmw View Post
    you know if you own an E21 when you have a complete parts department in your garage....
    attila calls my place "jimbo's depot"

drove the car around the block. brakes still weak. engine died each time i came to a 'california' stop. got home safely, opened the hood - realized i hadn't returned the air intake tube and filter. adjusted timing and idle. looked at it longingly.

My Cars
    1982 323i, 1997 318iS
    I think everyone in an E21 has an oil drain bolt that's been scraped on the pavement at one point. Mine's a bit off as well. You should be able to get it if you tighten the vice grips a bit tighter, maybe not. A blow torch might heat the oil in the sump to combustion, especially if you have some blow-by in the oil, so be careful.

My Cars
    80 320i, 87 325 i & is
    Yeah, good point Greg. Hm. Maybe I'll try driving it to operating temp and then the dry ice.

Hal: Flute actually. Although these days mostly I play saxophones and sing.

My Cars
    80 323i in pieces :-)
    I've got a set of stripped bolt sockets if you want to borrow them.

My Cars
    '79 320i, '77 320i
    Well i guess ill give this a shot,

1) pulled the parts car in the garage.
    2) stripped all the stuff i want off the car.
    3) cleaned up the shop area a bit.
    4)test fitted the bbs f-spoiler.
    5)sanded and primed said bbs spoiler.
    6)sat in a lawn chair in my garage and stared at the '79 wishing i had a head on it.
    7)repainted the rear sway.

more to come.

DD-1979 Bmw 320i 84,000miles long tube header...more to come------Wheeler- 1989 Jeep cherokee, 4.5" lift 31" Tsl Boggers yadda yadda yadda...

My Cars
    2000 540/6 , 1979 320i
    With much cleaning and knuckle scraping I succeeded in getting my plugs firing . Pulled cold start injector and manually introduced a small amount of fuel in opening. a few cranks and voila...Puff. First combustion in 18 years! Good for the day as the neighbor kid would not stop asking questions and I am ready for a drink and a smoke.

Also acheived oil pressure...enough to turn out oil light...
    Last edited by erok320i; 06-12-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '77 320i 2.2L M10
    Over the past two days I upgraded my Megasquirt setup to fully sequential injection and coil on plug. My 306 cam really likes the sequential injection. Low RPM performance is almost back to where it was before I upgraded the cam!

Sequential setup is done with the addition of a MS3X driver board added to the MS3 processor.

- Steve

My Cars
    1982 323i, 1997 318iS
    Quote Originally Posted by erok320i View Post
    With much cleaning and knuckle scraping I succeeded in getting my plugs firing . Pulled cold start injector and manually introduced a small amount of fuel in opening. a few cranks and voila...Puff. First combustion in 18 years! Good for the day as the neighbor kid would not stop asking questions and I am ready for a drink and a smoke.

That's good news on both counts! It won't be long now.

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    Quote Originally Posted by erok320i View Post

Was this the kid?
    With kudos to "The Incredibles". Love that scene.
    Last edited by tomscat1; 06-12-2010 at 10:12 PM.
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1982 323i Baur, 1977 320i (carbed),
    1978 320i (parts)
    1991 325ix 5 speed, 1989 325ix (winter),
    1989 325ic (summer)
    1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting)
    1975 Mercedes W115 300D (The Departed)
    the late 1979 323i Euro (project, Now Departed)

Visit my blog: Baurspotting
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    I looked at my baur today, it has another inch of dust on it since thursday night, time to dust it off and maybe dig out the cover, or at least put the roof back on to keep the dust out of the inside.... The wind is howling and it's not sunny.

Since the the weather was bad yesterday I took my son camping in the new e-21 era RV we bought friday.....It was fun, I never knew how nice having a stove and a toilet that goes where you go is. I just pulled in a pullout near Portage Glacier turn off the motor and bam camp is setup. My son really likes the bed that goes over the cab.

Since my wife leaves for Texas Wednesday and she's taking the girl, so next weekend me and the boy will go out "camping" (i'm not sure Rving counts as camping anymore) for two nights, and the next weekend for three.
    Last edited by AlaskaBimmer; 06-12-2010 at 10:52 PM.

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    2000 540/6 , 1979 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg323i View Post
    That's good news on both counts! It won't be long now.
    Certainly boosted my spirits!

My Cars
    1982 323i Baur & 6 more
    "Since my wife leaves for Texas Wednesday and she's taking the girl, so next weekend me and the boy will go out "camping" (i'm not sure Rving counts as camping anymore) for two nights, and the next weekend for three."

Sounds great, love every minute! How old is he? He will remember this forever. What a great dad! Kudos.
    Last edited by tomscat1; 06-12-2010 at 11:00 PM.
    Tom
    SE Connecticut
    1982 323i Baur, 1977 320i (carbed),
    1978 320i (parts)
    1991 325ix 5 speed, 1989 325ix (winter),
    1989 325ic (summer)
    1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting)
    1975 Mercedes W115 300D (The Departed)
    the late 1979 323i Euro (project, Now Departed)

Visit my blog: Baurspotting
    http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

BWR PWR!

My Cars
    2000 540/6 , 1979 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by tomscat1 View Post

Was this the kid?
    With kudos to "The Incredibles". Love that scene.
    Just about, except this kid has a mountain bike way too big for him, and he is constantly falling over with it for no reason.....just dying to put a dent in my car.

Managed to squeeze a battery into the battery tray, thus lessening my resistance and in turn increasing my cca...(I had b4 placed the battery on the ground with a set of jumpers)
    that with repeated dribbles of gasoline into the cold start injector hole and i actually
    HAD IT RUNNING!!! for maybe 5-10 seconds. Could repeat this accomplishment each time I introduce gas through hole. Now to get some real fuel flowing!
    Last edited by erok320i; 06-13-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e84, e36, e21
    323i :
    - disassembled/de-rusted/cleaned/painted(red) rear calipers
    - test fitted my fuel lines that I made, they fit
    - did some bodywork

320i :
    - parking lot fan belt replacement after it snapped on the highway

My Cars
    '82 E21 320i
    Took my new toy for a test drive

The blasting cabinet needs some, er, modifications
    Eric P.

My Cars
    2000 540/6 , 1979 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by pommeree View Post
    Took my new toy for a test drive

The blasting cabinet needs some, er, modifications
    Sandblaster? Cool!

My Cars
    e21/325, w124
    Here's my update: I finished applying a final coat of eDead v5. Started applying eDead 45 on top. Pics don't show the edead 45.

Maybe I can get her back on the road by next weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Motronic M20B25 E21 Legion Page

Page 4 of 206 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast