Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My E46 Touring DE/daily driver project

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...

Smile My E46 Touring DE/daily driver project

Yes...I am going to build an E46 track/daily car....I love the wagon! Basically I am selling ALL my other cars and assorted car toys, aka parts pieces from all the previous car projects... Since I am going to errrr have the wagon as my car in a few months Wife gets a "red and tan interior" 325i....

Project:
    Rear E46M3 subframe/diff/brakes whole meal deal (bought, on way)
    BBK...Have..Alcon UUC front kit, upgrade rear to Alcon later
    M54B30 motor, with a Six speed...looking for ZHP combo...
    AST Shocks/Springs, with E46M3 aftermarket sway bars...
    Subframe reinforcement kit for the rear...
    assorted E46M3 body parts, Bumper, mirrors etc...M tech rear bumper..

More than likey it will be a longer term project but I remeber the posting a few months back about making a E46 Touring track/daily driver...

I would like to turbocharge it later on.

ANy thoughts?
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by GGray View Post
    ANy thoughts?
    S54 would add some coolness and possibly negate the need for a supercharger...or, if you do still need more power, there are some viable FI S54 options these days.

My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Yeah i though about an S54...Maybe have to see..an M54B30 is pretty dam cheap though! Try 2500 bucks complete ready to drop in....I can turbo the M54B30 and make a reliable 400at the crank pop a motor no big deal buy a new one and swap it

8500rpm redline would be cool though...

This is scary...I actually kinda like the steptronic in it....Its nice to smack into D and just bumble down the road Scary...
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    M2CS
    S54 touring done by Rogue:

I've seen it in person twice, it's awesome!
    M2CS 6-spd

My Cars
    2001 330i 3.23
    Cool project! How do you compare the potential of the E46 vs the E36? I have read that the unibody of the E46 is stiffer, but the car weighs more. How is the suspension geometry for lowering? I have heard the E36 has problems as it is lowered, but haven't heard that on the E46. My current E36 M3 has more performance than my ZHP (acceleration and cornering), but I liked the ZHP better.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ganseg View Post
    How is the suspension geometry for lowering? I have heard the E36 has problems as it is lowered, but haven't heard that on the E46.
    The E36 and E46 essentially share the same suspension design. For the most part, the same weaknesses and same pluses. The E46 has a slightly better starting point (wider track, etc), but there's not a huge difference.

The E46 is definitely heavier in street car form...in race car form, I'm not sure there's as big of a difference.

My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    The E46 Wagon is actually lighter than the E46M3

The wider track makes a huge diffrence...Not to mention you can stick WAY more rubber under the E46.

And a wagon on track passing Porsches....How cool would that be
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    cars
    The E46 Wagon is actually lighter than the E46M3

The wider track makes a huge diffrence...Not to mention you can stick WAY more rubber under the E46.

And a wagon on track passing Porsches....How cool would that be
    Barry @ RRT knows this topic well, he's got some Wagon track experience

My Cars
    M54iT|SE30

I miss my wagon.... *sigh*
    -jeff conner
    dreaming of an ///M3 Wagon........
    I give you the gratuitous wheel lift shot, with some lovely flowers as a backdrop...

My Cars
    1988 M3, 1989 325iC
    I just bought Groner's wagon that he built for his son. It's been on the track a few times. UUC BBK, Biltein PSS9 coilovers, etc. It's my wife's daily now but I really enjoy driving it. Wouldn't mind getting it out for a track day just for fun.

Before

Now

And her old e34 wagon with me doing a hotlap at TWS

1988 M3 Track Rat - 1989 325iC M50 Vert - 1993 525i supercharged 5-speed touring - 2006 330i

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    There are a couple of 335i twin-turbo motors (N54?) out there (at least one on eBay for $15k buy it now with transmission). That would be pretty cool and you'd have 350hp available immediately! Its probably lighter than the S54, too, since its all alloy block (aluminum/magnesium). Just put a BIG oil cooler on it!
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn View Post
    Its probably lighter than the S54, too, since its all alloy block (aluminum/magnesium). Just put a BIG oil cooler on it!
    The block may be lighter, but the weight of two turbos, an intercooler, and all of the associated piping and fittings probably more than makes up for it.

My Cars
    A few BMW's...

Thumbs up TT E46 kit

Quote Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn View Post
    There are a couple of 335i twin-turbo motors (N54?) out there (at least one on eBay for $15k buy it now with transmission). That would be pretty cool and you'd have 350hp available immediately! Its probably lighter than the S54, too, since its all alloy block (aluminum/magnesium). Just put a BIG oil cooler on it!
    TT E46 kit....320-360 WHP! Bolt on Bone stock M54B30

Cost including motor....9k or less....
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    76 Turbo 2002, 99 R1100S, 02 325it
    How is this project progressing? I am also considering an eventual engine/trans upgrade for my sport wagon.

I would like to sort out what I am going to use for a differential and disassemble the rear end one time. Remove the OEM sub-frame, install the reinforcing kit, install M3 rear sub-frame and install a LSD.

I have a Quaife installed in my turbo 2002 and am leaning towards keeping the original 3.46 gear set but install a Quaife insert. If I add the 6-speed it should be a nice setup since the non-M motors do not rev quite as high.

My Cars
    A few BMW's...

Thumbs up

Going slow. I am in the process of selling "stuff" but I have put the alcon brakes on the front and some 18inch wheels. Also have some shocks/springs i am looking into made by D2 racing. You can lower the car and not loose travel.

Sway bars probably in a month.

I've looked into swapping a complete E46M3 rear into the car to get the LSD and shorter gear set.

Probably do the M54B30 swap in the winter, with a six speed.
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    Also have some shocks/springs i am looking into made by D2 racing. You can lower the car and not loose travel.
    Is that the separate height and pre-load adjustment stuff?

My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    yes,

height and preload, and single adjustable rebound and compression with one knob, they make front double adjustable units now for E36/E46. 60mm springs.

I'm going to try a set they look nice. I have read mixed reviews on them.
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    height and preload
    I have yet to have anyone explain to me what the real benefit of such a system would be. None of the manufacturers of said systems offer much/any tech. Can you explain?

My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Basically you get the ability to run the car low and retain the shock travel so you don't go around bouncing on the bump stops or bottoming the shock out. Such as when you run a standard coil over set up with the threaded body of the shock doing double duty, lowering and ride height.

With the shock body movable in the lower mount you can adjust the ride hieght with the lower section to what you want, low etc. And you don't loose any travel since you are not using the spring height to lower the car.

I think its far more important for a street car since most race cars really don't need 5-6inches of travel.

That's my take on it. i know in the Miata world mazda designed the bump stops to act as part of the suspension they have very little travel when lowered especially the 89-97 cars. Rough roads make them bonce all over the dam place.
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    The M54B30 is horrendously unreliable on track for what it's worth. You'll very much need to find a used TCK oil pump.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    Quote Originally Posted by nick325xit 5spd View Post
    The M54B30 is horrendously unreliable on track for what it's worth. You'll very much need to find a used TCK oil pump.
    I have a source for new pumps modified similar(3 bolts in a triangle then one in the middle) to the TCK ones(which aren't made anymore), they're $800 though. If anyone's interested PM me...

I wouldn't say it's "horrendously unreliable on track", I've yet to have any problems with it that made me miss track time. I did have the 3 oil squirters that failed, otherwise it's just been small sensors occasionally going out.
    Last edited by Greg S; 07-21-2008 at 06:35 PM.

My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Quote Originally Posted by nick325xit 5spd View Post
    i plan to go through it and fix a few things, like the oil pump problem. A guy on E46 fanatics is building a full bore race M54B30. I'm not looking for ultra high rpm out of it. End goal is turbocharged. Probably won't rev it past 6800rpm.

It will probably only see the track 2-4 times per year. if gas prices keep heading north I may skip the turbo and just be happy with it NA

Every BMW motor I have ever tracked has some kind of "issue" M10/M20/M30 family break rocker arms which sucks since the head has to come off to repair it, S14's spin bearings, kill cam trays, blew up two, early S50's valve retainer problems, S52 oil nuts fall off...

if it was a race car I might go overkill on the rebuild but its not a full bore race motor.

Are you tracking the IX ? If so how does it do?
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    2001 330i
    A guy on E46 fanatics is building a full bore race M54B30.
    I'm having a custom harmonic balancer built that I believe may cure the M54B30 oil pump and oil squirter issues.

Looking to have it tested on a Koni Challenge car soon...

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    i plan to go through it and fix a few things, like the oil pump problem. A guy on E46 fanatics is building a full bore race M54B30. I'm not looking for ultra high rpm out of it. End goal is turbocharged. Probably won't rev it past 6800rpm.

It will probably only see the track 2-4 times per year. if gas prices keep heading north I may skip the turbo and just be happy with it NA

Every BMW motor I have ever tracked has some kind of "issue" M10/M20/M30 family break rocker arms which sucks since the head has to come off to repair it, S14's spin bearings, kill cam trays, blew up two, early S50's valve retainer problems, S52 oil nuts fall off...

if it was a race car I might go overkill on the rebuild but its not a full bore race motor.

Are you tracking the IX ? If so how does it do?
    Way back when, I tracked the xi once. It was a hoot, but getting point bys was a huge pain in the ass. Loaded (m3+instructor) it was 4200+lbs. and so it was challenging to convince folks in M cars that it was faster than them.

Unfortunately, I sold it when I bought the '04 M3. Should never have bought that car and I should've kept the xi. Oh well.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    I have a source for new pumps modified similar(3 bolts in a triangle then one in the middle) to the TCK ones(which aren't made anymore), they're $800 though. If anyone's interested PM me...

I wouldn't say it's "horrendously unreliable on track", I've yet to have any problems with it that made me miss track time. I did have the 3 oil squirters that failed, otherwise it's just been small sensors occasionally going out.
    VAC makes a replacement oil pump kit. ANd I think the guy on E46 fanatics either bought or had some billet oil squirters made...

Is the harmonic balancer a street item or track only?
    Gary Gray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast