Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: The Definitive Alignment Guide for your E36 M3

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason C SBB View Post
    Good stuff. A few comments.

There is no such thing as "front body roll" vs. "rear body roll". The car is one piece - they roll together. Reducing total body roll will reduce understeer due to, as you point out, reduced positive camber in the front in turns (the fronts gain more positive camber in roll and lose more grip than the rears because of the McPherson struts)

HOWEVER, increasing only the front roll stiffness with just a bar tends to *increase* understeer if not for the reduced roll. The end result of whether you get more or less understeer depends on other factors such as tire characteristics and grip available.

So it is much better to upsize BOTH front and rear swaybars.
    The is good in theory, however, it does not work in practice on the e36. Many race cars (including both of ours) run a big front bar, and NO REAR bar at all. The bigger front bar increases front grip, and the no rear bar keeps inner tires on the ground during cornering. It works. The big caveat here is that the suspension itself needs to be properly setup before this works ... usually the rear springs need to be stiffer than usual (we run 800 front, 950 rear, but that's probably a bit much in the front ... I'll be trying 700# this year).

Now for a street car, I would certainly recommend replacing both bars. The overall reduced body roll feels quite good for spirited driving.

As for the rest of the write-up: Bravo! Great info, and very accurate for anyone who wants a good alignment for the BMWs. Of course after a few track sessions the best way to tune alignment is by measuring tire temps, but the starting points you posted are excellent.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3, 2002 Dodge durango
    What is the average cost for an alignment. What do you think is fair/reasonable. NYC area if that matters.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    $120......

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    e36 M3/4
    Wow - thanks for the writeup!. I started running (slowly) in STU in WDCR last year and am just starting to work on my car. Its hard to find all of this information in once place..

My Cars
    95 318ic/sc +11 tsx
    cool thanks

My Cars
    SC'ed E36 M3, turbo Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    The is good in theory, however, it does not work in practice on the e36. Many race cars (including both of ours) run a big front bar, and NO REAR bar at all. The bigger front bar increases front grip, and the no rear bar keeps inner tires on the ground during cornering. It works. The big caveat here is that the suspension itself needs to be properly setup before this works ... usually the rear springs need to be stiffer than usual (we run 800 front, 950 rear, but that's probably a bit much in the front ... I'll be trying 700# this year).

Now for a street car, I would certainly recommend replacing both bars. The overall reduced body roll feels quite good for spirited driving.

As for the rest of the write-up: Bravo! Great info, and very accurate for anyone who wants a good alignment for the BMWs. Of course after a few track sessions the best way to tune alignment is by measuring tire temps, but the starting points you posted are excellent.
    Fine, but there is still no such thing as "front body roll" vs. "rear body roll". Tuning with no rear swaybar works with stiff rear springs (as you pointed out), or with lots of front negative camber.
    ///Mello Yello

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Fine, but there is still no such thing as "front body roll" vs. "rear body roll". Tuning with no rear swaybar works with stiff rear springs (as you pointed out), or with lots of front negative camber.
    Yup ... we run -4 in the front As I pointed out, you are absolutely correct that eliminating roll is good, and beefing up both bars does that very well on a steret car.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1973 Datsun 240Z 1996 M3
    good stuff! thanks for the pointers on the alignment. I always wonder how much camber was too much for the street or canyon but i guess if you eliminate the toe up front ur good to go. I have been wanting to increase from 1.5 to 2.5 neg up front but my friends were saying it was to aggressive for DD. SCREW THEM lol...

My Cars
    Jeep ZJ, 95M3
    nice write up
    Mods: Eibach Sways, xbrace, JC chip, jtd underpanel, ssk

My Cars
    SC'ed E36 M3, turbo Miata
    My gut feel is -2° is the max one might tolerate on the street....
    ///Mello Yello

My Cars
    99 Estoril M3, 90 325is $2006 GRM, 99 Jeep XJ
    How much toe and camber would I gain after adding a .120" shim to each side? I know I should get an alignment after adding the shims but wonder how bad it would be...

joenationwide is offline Makes Cars Dance BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 M3 (GTS2), 99 M3
    I know you are quite knowlegeable about suspension setup. I would believe -2 is max for a miata on the street. But I think you'll find the macstrut based bimmers really need at least -2.5 deg up front to get adequate front grip. Coupled with 0 toe there should not be significant inner tire wear.

Quote Originally Posted by 99E36M View Post
    How much toe and camber would I gain after adding a .120" shim to each side? I know I should get an alignment after adding the shims but wonder how bad it would be...
    My guess is you'll gain approx -1.2 deg more camber. You'll also introduce some toe out (if you were originally at 0 toe). How much I'm not sure. I wouldn't suggest it is not insignificant. Certainly worth an alignment afterwards.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06

Did you read my Posts? (post #10)

-2.5 camber 0 toe Font
    -1.5 camber 1/8th toe in Rear

I do 70m a day, almost 50k since I bought the car 3 years ago this month. I love this setup and have no plans to change it. Right now car is on stands as I replace all the outter rear ball joints, the rtabs and rear bearings, then it'll go in to EF1 in Long Beach for an alignment, to the same old specs.

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I DD my car with:

Ride Height
    Front: 13"
    Rear: 11.75"

Alignment
    Front Camber: -3.2
    Front Toe (In): 1/16" Total
    Rear Camber: -2.2
    Rear Toe (In): 5/32" Total

No problems and handles great.

Mike... aka Track Junkie
    '98.5 M3 Coupe Titan Silver

My Cars
    2016 M235i

Alignment Specs

You guys sound like your well versed on this subject:what specs for a completely stock ,street only,daily driver?
    BMW FANMAN!

My Cars
    95 M3, 83 MBZ 300D
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 View Post
    I DD my car with:

Ride Height

Alignment

Hmm, how much does ride height affect the alignment settings you might go for?

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I just got an alignment yesterday, after installing GC shims, and getting new tires. The old tires wore well, and evenly. Needless to say the rear toe and camber were a bit off.

I sat in the car during the alignment to act as the weight.

My suspension setup is H&R OE Sport springs, Koni inserts and shocks, UUC bars, (not that they make a difference. lol)

Front camber was -1.5 L, -1.7 R. 1/16" in, castor was fine.
    Rear set to -2.5 L,R. 5/32 in total.

The rear before setting was -1.5L, -2.3R, and about 1/2" toe in...lol I guess I didn't get the RTAB consoles back where they started, but that is what alignment is for... It really didn't feel that bad driving to the shop.

Got charged a whopping $89. The guy that did it is a Multi time SCCA Regional Champion, (MARRS) in BMW 2002's, E36's, and Corvettes, so he knows these cars.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    I DD my car with:

Ride Height

Alignment

What is 5/32 in degrees? I was suggested by many people to do 1/8 inch in. Not sure what that is in degrees. My rear camber is -2 and fron is-2.5, thanks.

My Cars
    ESS 625++
    excellent thread, thanks for taking the time to put it together.
    ESS 625
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by sirius600 View Post
    Hmm, how much does ride height affect the alignment settings you might go for?
    Well in the front (w/o camber plates) you'll keep gaining negative camber to a point as you lower the ride height. However with camber plates its not an issue... currently I'm just running the OE strut mounts swapped with the GC CO's and that netted me -3.2 degrees camber up front. In the rear (w/o camber arms) again you'll gain negative camber as you lower and with the "stock" adjustment you *might* not be able to adjust all the negative camber gain you got. Also you limit the amount of toe-in, I believe, available as you lower it.

However, if you don't go to any extremes... you should be able to get a reasonable alignment. Note that I don't have any aftermarket "camber adjuster". I was able to achieve those numbers with the OE Strut mounts, OE camber arms, etc... Rear camber arms anyway are usually used to ADD negative camber out back, not take it out.

If I wanted less camber up front I would need to install camber plates, because even if I raised the ride height the camber wouldn't change a whole lot or I could "un-swap" the OE strut mounts.

Mike... aka Track Junkie

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by savage217 View Post
    What is 5/32 in degrees? I was suggested by many people to do 1/8 inch in. Not sure what that is in degrees. My rear camber is -2 and fron is-2.5, thanks.
    The "toe" settings are in inches, so 1/8" ~ 5/32"

Mike... aka Track Junkie

My Cars
    LSB M3
    explaination on caster?

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post

Front camber was -1.5 L, -1.7 R. 1/16" in, castor was fine.
    Rear set to -2.5 L,R. 5/32 in total.
    your camber settings should be reversed

I've found through a LOT of auto-x that anything more than -2.2 rear camber gets very tough to put the power down, even with a full soft rear sway, and -4 front camber, as I start oversteering, and the back wants to come around on me

side note for sway bar settings...

FULL stiff front sway bar
    FULL soft rear sway bar

i run

street
    -2.5F 0 toe max caster
    -1.8R with 1/8" toe in

track
    -3.5 1/16 toe out max caster (automatically toes out with camber change, PERFECT
    -1.8R camber with 1/8" toe in

auto-x
    -MAX front camber with 1/16 toe out (usually about -4.2 front camber for the plates)
    -1.8R camber with 1/8" toe in

full stiff front sway
    full soft rear sway

hope this helps
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by sisomphonE View Post
    explanation on caster?
    Castor, only applies to the front, is the angle the steering pivot axis is "tilted" from vertical. Its what pushes the wheel forward into the bumper of some M3s when people install mismatched LCA & LCABs. So they gain a lot of castor...

It allows straight-line "stability" and helps the wheel "gain" camber when turned, like going thru a turn.

Don't really worry about it, just try to maximize it (a high positive castor 7-8 degrees) Your limited in what you can adjust anyway with camber plates... Auto-x guys try to maximize camber at the expense of some castor and track guys don't need as much camber so they maximize castor.

Mike... aka Track Junkie

My Cars
    LSB M3
    Castor, only applies to the front, is the angle the steering pivot axis is "tilted" from vertical. Its what pushes the wheel forward into the bumper of some M3s when people install mismatched LCA & LCABs. So they gain a lot of castor...

It allows straight-line "stability" and helps the wheel "gain" camber when turned, like going thru a turn.

Don't really worry about it, just try to maximize it (a high positive castor 7-8 degrees) Your limited in what you can adjust anyway with camber plates... Auto-x guys try to maximize camber at the expense of some castor and track guys don't need as much camber so they maximize castor.
    sweet. thanks!

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast