Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: The Definitive Alignment Guide for your E36 M3

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Forum Geniuses! Quick Question:

Issue: Rear end instability under straight line hard braking
    Car: Track ONLY 1995 M3
    Setup: Koni SA coilover conversion, 275 NT01 squared, Hard Motorsports Flares, Camber -3.5 Ft -2.5 R, Toe 1/16 total in Front; 1/8 Total toe in rear, Rake: 1.5" front to rear for tire clearance, Height: Maybe stock height (for tire clearance).

Any input as to why it is so much more unstable under heavy braking than my brother's e46? ABS has been deactivated due to heavy interference under braking but it has tremendous feel and stopping power (PFC01 pads).
    Could it use additional rear toe in to help stabilize? Is the higher ride height adding to the issue? Could it be the differential being bad causing the instability?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    LCAB? When was the last time they were swapped out?

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
    LCAB? When was the last time they were swapped out?
    Rear end balljoints/bushings are going to be replaced this winter as they are original (114k miles). Only RTABS, diff bushings, and rear lower control arms have been recently replaced. Do you think failing rear lower control arm bushings would contribute to this issue?

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post

Rear end balljoints/bushings are going to be replaced this winter as they are original (114k miles). Only RTABS, diff bushings, and rear lower control arms have been recently replaced. Do you think failing rear lower control arm bushings would contribute to this issue?
    Apologies, I meant RTABs initially. Brain fart.

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    But after thinking about it, it could be bushings. Have you physically looked to see what you can find?

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    1997 BMW //M3
    What are your front caster angles? Uneven caster by 1/2 degree or more could make braking a bit squirmy. Have you flushed the brake fluid recently? You could just have mushy brake fluid causing uneven front to rear brake bias.
    "And you may ask yourself, where is that large automobile?"

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by mpathic View Post
    What are your front caster angles? Uneven caster by 1/2 degree or more could make braking a bit squirmy. Have you flushed the brake fluid recently? You could just have mushy brake fluid causing uneven front to rear brake bias.
    Caster angles are off by a degree..... Getting SLR adjustable FCABs, we will see if that helps!

My Cars
    97 BMW M3 Sedan
    So I just got my car aligned and I believe I told them the wrong thing this is what the sheet says:

Before:

Front Left : Front Right:
    Camber -1.7 -1.9
    Caster: 4.9 5.0
    Toe: -0.15 -0.07
    Total Toe: -0.21

Rear:
    Left Rear: Right Rear:
    Camber : -1.5 -1.3
    Toe: -0.01 -0.02
    Total Toe: -0.03

NEW ALIGNEMENT

Front Left : Front Right:
    Camber -2.0 -2.0
    Caster: 4.9 5.0
    Toe: -0.10 -0.09
    Total Toe: -0.18

Rear:
    Left Rear: Right Rear:
    Camber : -1.5 -1.5
    Toe: -0.21 -0.22
    Total Toe: 0.43

Does this seem ok? or should I take it back and tell them to adjust the front and rear toe? (I have lifetime alignment)

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lukitas; 01-23-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    Current
    -1997 BMW M3 4Door Artic Silver w/ Black Interior Daily

Past
    -2001 BMW 325i
    -1999 BMW M3 Vert White
    -1981 VW Rabbit Pickup (Caddy) 2.0 ABA

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas, I want him to shit his pants." - Enzo Ferrari

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Rear toe looks a bit much. I use 1/8" total, which I think works out to around 0.25-0.3 deg total.
    Bottom line, if they didn't align to the specs you wanted (or get close), you should ask for a do over.

My Cars
    97 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Rear toe looks a bit much. I use 1/8" total, which I think works out to around 0.25-0.3 deg total.
    Bottom line, if they didn't align to the specs you wanted (or get close), you should ask for a do over.
    so does the front Toe look good and the caster?
    Current

Past
    -2001 BMW 325i
    -1999 BMW M3 Vert White

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas, I want him to shit his pants." - Enzo Ferrari

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Depends on what you're using the car for. The first post in this thread is still appropriate.
    Up front, 2 to 2.5deg neg camber and just a touch of toe-in is a very good street setup. That's what your numbers are showing. Some folks run zero front toe. I personally find that's a bit too unstable for me because my car tends to tram line, especially in the rain. That could easily be tire and road dependent.
    Do you have camber/caster plates? If not, caster isn't directly adjustable.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 01-23-2017 at 02:39 PM.

My Cars
    97 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Depends on what you're using the car for. The first post in this thread is still appropriate.
    Up front, 2 to 2.5deg neg camber and just a touch of toe-in is a very good street setup. That's what your numbers are showing. Some folks run zero front toe. I personally find that's a bit too unstable for me because my car tends to tram line, especially in the rain. That could easily be tire and road dependent.
    Do you have camber/caster plates? If not, caster isn't directly adjustable.
    so I took it back and told them to fix the toe. to set the front toe in to .5 on each side and rear .10 on each side.
    Current

Past
    -2001 BMW 325i
    -1999 BMW M3 Vert White

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukitas View Post
    so I took it back and told them to fix the toe. to set the front toe in to .5 on each side and rear .10 on each side.
    Hopefully, you asked for 0.05deg each side front.

My Cars
    E32 740iL
    Looking for a quick answer.
    I've skimmed the thread quite a bit.

My car is a street car that likes to drive the mountains at times.

I just got my car aligned to

Front
    0.05 left 0.05 right = 0.10 total toe in
    Rear
    0.10 left 0.10 right = 0.20 total toe in

Front camber is at -2.0 left, -1.7 right
    Rear camber -1.6 left, -1.7 right.

(Any recommendations on camber for my car? My front has no modifications regarding camber, rear has camber arms.
    I don't plan on adding shims or anything but may consider one to the front right to match the left camber if you guys can convince me to do so?)

My caster on the left is at 6.8 for some reason while the right is at 7.5, any clue on why that might be? (Edit - Just looked at my past alignments from two years ago, my left caster was fine at 7.5. Perhaps I hit something?)
    Last edited by chynk; 12-01-2017 at 08:42 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Caster might be a worn lower control arm bushing or bent control arm.

My Cars
    1997 328is and 1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by chynk View Post
    Looking for a quick answer.
    I've skimmed the thread quite a bit.

My car is a street car that likes to drive the mountains at times.

I just got my car aligned to

Front
    0.05 left 0.05 right = 0.10 total toe in
    Rear
    0.10 left 0.10 right = 0.20 total toe in

Front camber is at -2.0 left, -1.7 right
    Rear camber -1.6 left, -1.7 right.
    (Any tips on camber for my car? My front has no modifications, my rear has camber arms that aren't being taken advantage of.)

My caster on the left is a mess at 6.8 for some reason while the right is at 7.5, any clue on why that might be?
    Were you in the car when they aligned it? Putting weight in the driver seat should add a little bit more Caster to the left side, but not necessarily enoigh to even it out. Personally, I would do whatever possible to even the camera out to both sides. Anywhere between -2 and -3 degrees should be okay for Street driving. The big thing that I see which I would change would be the front toe. Change it to either 0 or slightly out (I run 1/4" total). Your rear camber looks okay. If you decided to stick some 200 treadwear tires for race tires, I might go above to a little bit.

By the way, what are your spring rates?
    WUTCONE?

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    More camber in the front is all I would change. Nice conservative settings that won't put you in oversteer situations in the twisties. Keep it between the ditches

My Cars
    1995 M3
    See above.

I personally would not run front toe-out on a street car. It causes very interesting characteristics on wet roads and roads with odd camber. Think traming.
    I wouldn't worry too much about those caster settings, that's not terrible for a street car IMO. But as stated above, double check for suspension parts wear.

On my car (when it was street only), somewhere around -2.25 or -2.5 neg camber up front is where it really came alive.
    I'd keep rear camber 1 to 0.5 deg less neg camber than the front. Within that range you can play with the rear camber a little bit to get the car balanced.

My Cars
    E32 740iL
    I'm on Konis and H&R sport springs. Suspension feels good, tie rods and all.

The car drives straight too, no pulling. If I were to drive with my hands off the wheel on the freeway, it would eventually go right instead of left interestingly enough.

I think I may end up shimming the right side front camber to help balance it out a bit.

The only issue is that I don't know what size to go with since reading the first page

"0.5 deg - 1.16mm"

Where can I find smaller ones and at what point should I get longer bolts?

I think I'm gonna do -2 camber front, -1.5 camber rear.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Many camber bolt kits come with extended bolts. You're going to want at least 3 threads of bolt engagement if you want to find washers/bolts yourself.

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Leave the toe where it's at. Find my posts before running zero toe on the street in the rain...

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    89 BMW 325, 99 BMW M3
    I installed Bilstein Sport and HR Sport springs on my 99 M3 and I'm trying to figure out my toe setting. I installed poly RTABs and also replaced the balljoints in the trailing arms. At -2 degrees rear camber I'm at .53 total toe in (.26 and .27) and the alignment shop said it is maxed. Does this sound right?

I can get toe correction offset RTABs but was also wondering if maybe adjustble camber arms may help since i can pull the rear of the trailing arm in with them?

Thank you.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge1190 View Post
    I installed Bilstein Sport and HR Sport springs on my 99 M3 and I'm trying to figure out my toe setting. I installed poly RTABs and also replaced the balljoints in the trailing arms. At -2 degrees rear camber I'm at .53 total toe in (.26 and .27) and the alignment shop said it is maxed. Does this sound right?

I can get toe correction offset RTABs but was also wondering if maybe adjustble camber arms may help since i can pull the rear of the trailing arm in with them?

Thank you.
    No. I was able to get 0.2 total toe in at the rear on koni yellows with Eibach springs with -2 camber in the rear.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LockDots; 12-14-2018 at 11:12 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I too have approximately 0.20 degrees rear toe-in. My shop does it in mm not degrees, so it's around 3.0-3.2mm total. I'm using OEM RTAB's with limiters at the moment, but I previously had poly RTAB's with the same alignment. I'm at -2 degrees camber as well. The adjustment should be there with the stock RTAB and trailing arms, unless something has been changed/damaged/bent.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    What my guy had to do was use an air hammer to move the arm over just a little more and have another person hold it in place while he tightened the bolts in place. Not impossible or out of the ordinary. Just a little rough if you have poly bushings or 20yr old suspension that hasn't been touched.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233 LastLast