Thread: Noob here with some e36 turbo questions

My Cars
    Turbo Prelude

Noob here with some e36 turbo questions

Im getting kinda tired of the prelude and was thinking of going with an m3 especially after reading up on a turbo kit that produced 389 @8.5 psi anywho what i was wanting to know is what is the max anyone has gotten on a stock block turbo m3 ? how much boost and hp has been achieved and lasted for lenghty period of time ? 389 sounds nice enough for me to sell the lude and go for it but id really be sold if they are capable of making alot more without building the block . any info or reference links would be appreciated thanks

also how do these cars hold up ? as far as crap breaking on them are they well built or what .

My Cars
    Turbo Prelude
    come on anyone wanna help a fella out with some info lol

My Cars
    93 325is
    also a stage 1 turbo for an M3 is $10,000
    Last edited by Hawaii; 05-19-2003 at 01:36 AM.

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    14 psi or less is recommended on stock internals ... I know others are boosting more than 14 psi; but, I think as a general rule of thumb 14 psi or lower ... unless you are willing to throw money into water injection, bigger radiator, larger turbo, etc... then basically you are looking at EASILY almost 50% more money.

Why do you want a BMW that's turbo? if you are looking for power, this is the wrong car honestly. 2JZ-GTE is more the calling you should be looking at. No matter how much power can be tweaked out of our engines ... we will always be smoked by other cars.

The Evo 8, STi, and probably even the SRT-4 are good examples of cars that could probably match or even beat a BMW that is running 8.5psi. I doubt you would run any higher boost on a track as well.

Are you going to do HPDE's, auto-x, have you ever done any of those? If not, you'd be surprised at how DAMN fast a stock e36 is. Having someone take you on a 1:24 lap when you can only manage 1:46 is humbling ...

My Cars
    Turbo Prelude
    Originally posted by NoSoup4U
    14 psi or less is recommended on stock internals ... I know others are boosting more than 14 psi; but, I think as a general rule of thumb 14 psi or lower ... unless you are willing to throw money into water injection, bigger radiator, larger turbo, etc... then basically you are looking at EASILY almost 50% more money.

Why do you want a BMW that's turbo? if you are looking for power, this is the wrong car honestly. 2JZ-GTE is more the calling you should be looking at. No matter how much power can be tweaked out of our engines ... we will always be smoked by other cars.

The Evo 8, STi, and probably even the SRT-4 are good examples of cars that could probably match or even beat a BMW that is running 8.5psi. I doubt you would run any higher boost on a track as well.

Are you going to do HPDE's, auto-x, have you ever done any of those? If not, you'd be surprised at how DAMN fast a stock e36 is. Having someone take you on a 1:24 lap when you can only manage 1:46 is humbling ...
    yes i know there are better cars out there but it appears the e36 has plenty of potential to be strong . 2jz is pointless everyone and their momma has one and they are too proud of them in their asking price . according to numbers ive seen on various turbo sites then an evo 8 or sti wouldnt compare to a e36 on 8.5psi i have taken out many fast wrx's in my lude and the evo ive never raced but according to the test times it shouldnt be hard and the srt-4 is way off unless u get the stage 3 . i dont plan on auto-x's i just want a nice car that i can turn peoples heads with ya know . cause there arent any turbo e36's in houston to my knowledge i like originality

///3oris is offline "Diogenes the Cynic"
    My Cars
    '96 M3 Turbo, '04 Yamaha R6
    Originally posted by Hawaii
    also a stage 1 turbo for an M3 is $10,000
    there is a guy with a euro M3 making about 700hp at 20 psi
    I wouldn't quote that... mert doesn't necessarily have 700 hp... acceleration (the way he measures his car) is just as much part of gearing as power. The cars he's quoting might have REALLY long gearing at the low end. I'm not saying mert doesnt have 700hp... with 20psi he should... but before we see some "hard" data I wouldn't quote it. :

Boris

My Cars
    93 325is
    i edited mine, now you should edit yours then right?
    i agree we should be proper about power
    rwhp and dynos are the proof

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    OZ3M is running stock internals and has 600+hp with 19psi I believe...maybe more. He has the S52 motor.
    -Joe