Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z3 Subwoofer v.3 is installed.........

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Quote Originally Posted by gwfair View Post
    Hi - I just came across your nice speaker design here. I am trying to do the same thing, but am stuck. I have a 2001 Z3. Problem is, the largest volume I can make for a sub is 0.18 cubic feet. I build a paper model to test. You mentioned your sub V.3 was a .35 cu Ft sealed enclosure.

I've used an 'L' shape box and used up all the space I can see.

How did you manage to get .35 cu feet? If I can solve this, I think I can build the sub.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    I think your issue is that you are actually building a box to fit into the space. I did the same thing at first and those are similar numbers to what I had. My design basically just uses a lid and then uses dynamat and sealant to turn the existing console into an enclosure. That gives you a larger main space and also allows you to include the space in front of the original subwoofer grill and around the roll hoop mounts, etc. From rough measurements I can actually get about .6 cu.ft. that way.

The downside is that it makes for a sealing nightmare and makes the install way too finicky for me to feel comfortable charging anyone money for it. It really is more of a "custom" install. I was very concerned that I would sell it to someone, it wouldn't get installed well and they wouldn't be happy.

I have revised the design into a v.4, but I haven't had time to finish the prototype yet. The idea is a little unconventional so we'll have to see if it actually works or not, and then see what it costs to build.
    1997 Z3 2.8L Montreal Blue/Beige Ext. Leather.
    Hybrid Legatia L6 - Arc Audio 4150 XXK,
    Hybrid Legatia L1 Pro - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Image Dynamics ID8 - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0 Roadster, '03 Hummer H2 (Volant, Jet)

Power for Subwoofer??

What are you using to power the Image Dynamics 8" woofer?

Thanks!
    Joe
    -Joe-
    ---------------------------------------
    2001 Sienna Red 3.0 Roadster
    Conforti Carbon Fiber CAI, Conforti "Shark" Software, C/L Strong Strut, Butt Strut, Bridgestone RE750s, V1, + cosmetics...

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    IIRC he is using one of his 2 Blaupunkt VA2100 amps bridged to run this. Check out his system in detail in the Car Audio forum on this site under "And a new HAT build begins!!!". Awesome build.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Quote Originally Posted by MDT View Post
    IIRC he is using one of his 2 Blaupunkt VA2100 amps bridged to run this. Check out his system in detail in the Car Audio forum on this site under "And a new HAT build begins!!!". Awesome build.
    Thanks for the comment. One of these days, I might actually finish it. I was using a VA2100 to power the sub, but my trunk was just TOO FULL with two VA2100s and an Arc Audio KS300.4. I came across a NIB Arc Audio 4150 XXK and couldn't pass it up. Right now I'm running the 2 channels of the KS300.4 to my tweets and the other two bridged (360w @ 4ohms) to the sub. That's plenty for the ID8. The XXK is bridged to my HAT L6s. It gives me plenty of headroom, but it sounds awesome.
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    97 1.9l Z3
    Heres my set up. If any one is interested, I can have more made and shipped out, or installed here in Brandon/Tampa, FL

My father, does auto upholstrey, and he made me the custom box, its made by a combining the orginal plastic box, with an inner compressed wood frame for support, then covered in fabric and fiber glassed and moldded to perfection, can be painted, or covered in vinyl, leather, any color, etc.

If you guys are interested, I can ask him on a price, and he can go into a small production and make these.

It can fit a 6in to 10in sub, mine is an 8in. The magnet is about 7in back, so 8in is a max for depth as well before the magnet is too close to the wood.

Fiber-glassing.

Test fitting before fiber-glassing

Here is our amp install, this was me being lazy and quick, we can mount it almost anywhere!

P.S. best part is this box is bolted in using the original mounting brackets, so if you ever want to remove it, just remove 4 bolts, and its gone, just gotta get a new OEM plastic glove box cause your original one will be used to retrofit the sub.

O.P. I really like your sub install, how does having the sub mounted upword sound? When running with no top do you lose bass/sound?

With this set up the sub faces the front window direct, when the top is down, up, it always bumps and sounds good, even on the highway, top down doing 80, i can still fell and hear my 800watt DVC 8in sub with a Hiltron 1000w Mono Amp.
    Last edited by Edmel89; 09-30-2009 at 11:39 PM.
    Always in progress!

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    ^ That is awesome. You should start a new thread. I would definitely be interested in hearing an estimated price for these to be built and shipped. Do you have any pictures of the back? Clean work!

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    That looks great, and I would be interested, except that looks like it would only fit the early cars without rollbars.

My Cars
    97 1.9l Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cngizbleevng View Post
    That looks great, and I would be interested, except that looks like it would only fit the early cars without rollbars.

Correct, but my dad can desgine it to almost any specs needed, I will talk to him, maybe he can give me a price.

The problem about it being shipped to your place is... We would need your original box to retrofit the frame and fiberglass, etc.
    Always in progress!

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Another fitment issue with later cars is the "transverse connector", a metal bar that runs side to side right in front of the woofer. I can take a pic of it--it's readily visible once the woofer grille is removed.

My Cars
    97 1.9l Z3
    ahh, hmm, i'm sure a rear sturt reinforcement would take care of that issue. But I dont know, but he is very skilled at useing colors, fabrics, combined with foams, fiberglass, frames, etc, he can do anything with the right idea.

My sub took him 2 nights 3 days to finsh it, and i did the amp and wiring hook up. Since I could only give my dad $200 for supply and some labor, he did this quick custom enclousre, he can put 8in's in your door panal and make it look factory! Or if your into funky colors or trims, anythimg.
    Always in progress!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Quote Originally Posted by cngizbleevng View Post
    Another fitment issue with later cars is the "transverse connector", a metal bar that runs side to side right in front of the woofer. I can take a pic of it--it's readily visible once the woofer grille is removed.
    Yes, the transverse connector makes it very tricky to get a subwoofer positioned facing the front without it looking like a 3rd roll hoop.
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Quote Originally Posted by OUSHark View Post
    Yes...
    You should market your single woofer design and give that other outfit a run. I have one of theirs and the enclosure cracks too easily; wrong material.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3

Design Specs

Edmel89 -
    Did you ever make a run at building your sub box for production and sale? If so, are they available anywhere? If not, are you willing to share any design specs/prints or tips and pitfalls that were encountered along the way? I really like the design and may take a run at it if I have to on my own.

I'm thinking of making a plastic box. I have access to a CNC. I will probably have to draw a 3D model, but your info would help out significantly.

Thanks,

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3

Sub sale?

Edmel89
    Did you ever get into production on these subs? If so, did you come up with a price or a place to buy them? If not, are you willing to part with drawings / dimensions? If I can't buy one, I may have to take a run at making one myself. I'd love to hear about any obstacles that you found. I have access to a CNC, so I'm thinking about making a plastic box. I'll probably make a 3D drawing and dimensions would help out quite a bit.

Thanks,

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    I think with all the talk about people wanting to upgrade their subwoofer, there'd be a good market for this.

Roadstersound's problem is their product is pretty pricey, you have to do the assembly yourself, and there's no information regarding upgrading amps or other electrical components.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3

My Plan

If I have to do all of the work to make 1 I could probably make more pretty cheaply. If I did, I'd probably not include a sub. People like different specs. I'd just make it so you could vary the volume if needed with an insert. You could mount your own sub. I'd offer a couple painted colors, and design it so the metal plate under the current cover would bolt to it for mounting.
    That's the plan anyway.

BTW. Getting a 4 channel amp put in today to run the front and rear speakers and a two channel to run the two small subs I have now, but will be ready for when I can put in an 8". Anyone need my HK? What are good component kick panel speakers to put in? I'm putting in two Boston acoustic rear speakers for now.
    Last edited by Work2xl; 06-26-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: adding note

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Just a little follow up.

I haven't had much time to pursue this for quite a while, but recent developments have made it a bit of a priority again. I'm working on a v.4 and v.5. I hope to have both prototypes completed in about a month. Both are very promising so I'm going to leave it at that. It's just going to come down to where the final production costs end up.

I'll try to keep everyone updated.
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3
    I'd love to see what you are working on. Is it the horizontal, vertical, or slanted speaker? Are you fitting an 8" or 10"?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3M
    I would 100% get one from you if possible. Please keep us updated =)

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9
    So?! What happened?! I have just stumbled across this thread...I was getting closer and closer to my computer out of excitement as I read further and further down, and then -nothing?
    OUSHark: How did things go? Are you making and selling enclosures now?
    Edmel89: Your subwoofer setup makes me want to be a better man. But I would still <Insert awful and inhumane act here> if it meant getting my hands on one just like it! Did that ever go anywhere?
    Don't leave me hangin', fellas!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3

Here is my solution

20180708_141549.jpg20180709_200352.jpg20180710_205226.jpg20180710_210645.jpg
    Kicker 6.75" CompRT Sub
    Purchased Aftermarket Lid on Ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/26380607755...m=263806077559)
    Removed Inside portion storage compartment
    Dynamat type material to create .32 Sq Ft Sealed Enclosure
    Boss Riot R1100M Mono Amp to push Sub alone
    No cutting or alteration of existing hardware or mounting location (Can always go back to Original lid)
    Still have to mount Amp (100% of trunk space will be available)
    Running Clarion NZ503 Head Unti (Bluetooth, GPS, Sat Radio, etc)
    Hertz HSK 130 Hi-Energy Component Speaker System
    Last edited by Paehah; 07-12-2018 at 01:56 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12