Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Replacing brake booster - HELP!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    It absolutely fixed my issue. Installed Feb of 2017, and so far so good. So, it's been good for 30 or so track days and a few thousand miles of DD. I know others have said their rockauto/cardone didn't last long. So...hoping mine lasts a few more years.

My Cars
    None

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettett15 View Post
    Eeuroparts is great. I've bought a bunch from them. I searched there and didn't find one for an M3. I need the one with the sensor in it.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Eeuroparts is great. I've bought a bunch from them. I searched there and didn't find one for an M3. I need the one with the sensor in it.
    FYI, eeuroparts shows this as BMW part #34331162963, which is listed by realoem as the correct booster for M3's.
    The eeuroparts pictures also show a hole for the pedal travel sensor.

My Cars
    1999 M3, M235i, X5D
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    FYI, eeuroparts shows this as BMW part #34331162963, which is listed by realoem as the correct booster for M3's.
    The eeuroparts pictures also show a hole for the pedal travel sensor.
    What year M3? For 1999, I see part number as 34331162965. Also, I don't see provision for the sensor in those photos, only for the vacuum line.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Crap...sorry....yep...pics only show one hole. We need 2.

I remember now that realoem is a bit confusing on the part number. It shows 34331162965 as the original part number, but 'ended'. It the says 34331162963 supercedes 34331162965, but doesn't list the M3 under 34331162963.

So yea, I think this no workie for the M3. ug.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    I'm getting pretty close to buying the ATE booster from the UK. It's about $250 with $126 in shipping. If i'm reading correctly, shipping is a flat rate so i could buy more. Anybody else want in assuming this works out ok?

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oen...331162965.html

EDIT: i did a test checkout and added more quantity, shipping stayed the same.
    Last edited by TXBDan; 04-23-2018 at 01:20 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I've been following your post on the brown board...I'd definitely be interested in splitting shipping from the UK, and would cover the shipping from you to me.

My Cars
    1999 M3, M235i, X5D
    I'm interested as well. Please shoot me a PM and we can figure it out.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by r0nd3L View Post
    I'm interested as well. Please shoot me a PM and we can figure it out.
    Sorry, already placed the order with a group of four. I didn't wait long because i have my first event in 2.5 weeks and am hoping to get this in time. I'll update this thread with how it ends up.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    $360 with shipping per unit isn't unreasonable.

Some of you guys didn't read the whole thread before posting lol

We already went over the fact that BMW phased out the boosters with the sensor - which was why I ordered one from France for $340 back in this post:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post29889481

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Well ordered mine through the local BMW since eeuro refunded me saying "nla from supplier". Hope this solves the issue for us all! Lol hope to get mine installed first week of may.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    NeilM, any updates with the new booster?

My brakes are simply getting worse and worse. I rebuilt the calipers, power bled, manually bled last week hoping for a fix, but no luck. Just the same as before.. The friction engagement point is below the gas pedal. I don't feel comfortable taking the car on track like this.
    My M3 is coming out of storage this weekend, and I hope to start the booster R&R next week.

I have a new M/C on hand too, and am considering whether to install it as well. On the plus side the brake system will have been drained anyway, so why not? On the other hand, assuming the braking problem gets fixed in the process, I won't know which thing fixed it.

Neil

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    I have both and am installing them at the same time, don't really care what fixes it as long as its fixed. I also rebuilt calipers, lines, replaced all 4 wheel bearings, replaced S54 air rail rail o-rings, etc. Not taking any chances on having to pull mine apart again lol.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Well i tried ordering a few ATE boosters from that UK shop, but no luck. Turns out they're not actually in stock and they can't get any. TRW is also out of stock and NLA.

TrackAddict11, did they actually have one to buy? What dealer/shop?

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Also, how do E36s without the brake pedal travel sensor work? Do they use a pedal travel sensor located elsewhere or maybe brake line pressure? I wonder what it'd take to convert types.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    According to realoem the M3 controller is different. 34521164023 for my M3, 34521164094 for my old 328 (which is supposed to use 963 booster, I need to check my old photos). I might be able to check my parts stash tonight to confirm that #, I think I kept the 328 controller.

Have you looked at the e46 ABS upgrade? Does that use a travel sensor?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Crustashio View Post
    According to realoem the M3 controller is different. 34521164023 for my M3, 34521164094 for my old 328 (which is supposed to use 963 booster, I need to check my old photos). I might be able to check my parts stash tonight to confirm that #, I think I kept the 328 controller.

Have you looked at the e46 ABS upgrade? Does that use a travel sensor?
    That's interesting. Wonder what the controller does with the travel sensor info, and why the M3 is different? We'll probably never know.
    I've looked at the E46 ABS conversion a few times, and it doesn't look trivial or well documented to me. Would love to find out different.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Just ordered the A1Cardon reman from RockAuto. Only choice left.

An E46 Mk60 ABS conversion would be one solution. It uses pressure sensors instead of pedal travel. But yeh, not cheap or trivial. i have a friend doing the job right now actually using a bunch of Z3 S54 parts.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    I have a new M/C on hand too, and am considering whether to install it as well.
    I was very surprised to find that the booster was bad, even after having it pass all the function tests.

My M/C was completely fine and was not in need of replacement. $500 wasted, but how would I have known? The booster is a pain in the ass to change but I'm betting $1 it's that or air in your ABS is the culprit in this case. You can always loop back around and do the M/C later if swapping the booster doesn't fix your issue. Though - you're going to be removing your M/C anyway to swap over to the new booster so... lol

- - - Updated - - -

Just ordered the A1Cardon reman from RockAuto. Only choice left.
    Why didn't you order an ATE one from mecatrouve like we already talked about in this thread?

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Because i don't speak french. I guess i could try emailing them in English, but from my past experiences with the french, they're likely to ignore me. ha

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Because i don't speak french. I guess i could try emailing them in English, but from my past experiences with the french, they're likely to ignore me. ha
    I don't speak French and I ordered my booster just fine and without issue.

I do, however, speak google translate.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I have intermittent loss of power assist. I only use my '95 M3 for HPDE track days and I get a hard pedal on occasion after long acceleration and push hard on the brakes. Very disconcerting when you get to the braking zone and the vacuum power assist may or may not be there. If I allow a few seconds from WOT before jamming brakes then the vacuum appears to recover. I did the brake pump with engine off, start engine and pedal goes forward test. I've also check and don't hear any "squeaking" sounds of air rushing out of the booster. I've also pulled a vacuum on the booster and it appears to hold 18" of vacuum. I'm wondering if it is a check valve or something else going on. I've pulled that and it appears to flow only one way. Really scratching my head on this one.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    It absolutely fixed my issue. Installed Feb of 2017, and so far so good. So, it's been good for 30 or so track days and a few thousand miles of DD. I know others have said their rockauto/cardone didn't last long. So...hoping mine lasts a few more years.
    I got my RockAuto/A1Cardone unit yesterday. It looks ok, but did not include a new travel sensor, did yours? I also see blue paint splotches on it, think that's the sensor tip color indicator (per your other thread)?

I also got word from the UK shop that they found one ATE unit they can sell me. So i'm proceeding with that, although it hasn't shipped yet. We'll see what happens there but it'll probably take awhile to get here. My first time trial is in a week and a half. I'm sure the ATE won't be here in time so i gotta decide if i want to try the Cardone unit short term or run the event as the car is and swap in the ATE after it.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Nope, pedal travel sensor was not included with my A1Cardone either. I doubt they are with any booster as they're somewhat pricey.

My orginal travel sensor had the blue tip. That's about all I know for sure.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast