Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Replacing brake booster - HELP!

My Cars
    98 M3 01 330Ci 98 318ti

My Cars
    E36 325i, E34 535iTm
    Quote Originally Posted by savage217 View Post
    Ok guys another crappy pedal solved. Rack another point up for bad booster. My brakes are amazing now, feels like a new car
    I'm glad to hear you got it fixed, but I'm bummed that I'll have to pony up $400 sometime soon. Grrrrrrrr ....

-tammer

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Quote Originally Posted by tammer View Post
    I'm glad to hear you got it fixed, but I'm bummed that I'll have to pony up $400 sometime soon. Grrrrrrrr ....

-tammer
    I bought one used out of 68k mile 99 m3 that was wrecked. It is rock solid. I say just buy a used one. I paid 50 bucks from a reputable place that I go to for things. Just find one out of a low mileage m3, preferably 99 if possible (newer the better) and if possible dont buy one from a race car m3 as the booster would have had a brutal life haha.

My Cars
    '99 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by savage217 View Post
    I bought one used out of 68k mile 99 m3 that was wrecked. It is rock solid. I say just buy a used one. I paid 50 bucks from a reputable place that I go to for things. Just find one out of a low mileage m3, preferably 99 if possible (newer the better) and if possible dont buy one from a race car m3 as the booster would have had a brutal life haha.
    There are some components that I'd have no problem buying used, but something like a brake booster isn't one of them. Why go through all the trouble to replace it to only have it fail again in the near future?

My Cars
    93 332is/00 M5
    good info. BMW parts is going to be scratching their heads as to why there is a run on brake boosters all of the sudden.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6, 2006 30
    Quote Originally Posted by kenster View Post
    good info. BMW parts is going to be scratching their heads as to why there is a run on brake boosters all of the sudden.
    If they haven't scratched their heads about 5,000 lock valves (CDVs), they aren't going to blink at a dozen extra boosters being ordered!
    Dave Zeckhausen

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Ok ... can someone who has replaced theirs take it apart and figgure out how in hell it could possibly affect the pedal feel??? I just don't get it, unless it's building too much vac or something? If anything, it should give a stiffer pedal when broken, no?
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    '95 M3 C-Mod/GTS 4 (SOLD
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Ok ... can someone who has replaced theirs take it apart and figgure out how in hell it could possibly affect the pedal feel??? I just don't get it, unless it's building too much vac or something? If anything, it should give a stiffer pedal when broken, no?

Aren't there 2 valves on brake boosters? Maybe the valve that allows boost to escape isn't functioning properly? Therefore, it's over boosting. It's bound to be something simple. These units don't look that complicated or are they?

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Yeah, maybe some vendor can come up with a rebuild kit ... hint hint

My Cars
    92' e36 M50B2?
    Yeah, maybe some vendor can come up with a rebuild kit ... hint hint
    87' E30 M21D24: 84HP Diesel - SOLD
    96' E36 M43B18: 8 Valves of fury - SOLD
    92' E36 M50B2?: Major rebuild in progress…

My garage looks like a e36 exploded in it...

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Quote Originally Posted by dbbmwm3 View Post
    There are some components that I'd have no problem buying used, but something like a brake booster isn't one of them. Why go through all the trouble to replace it to only have it fail again in the near future?
    For 50 bucks and Id say at least a few years of good use, its worth it. If it seems to fail later on, ill be hitting myself for not getting a new one but I didnt have time to get a new one before the track day I am going to so that is also the reason. Im also short on cash.

I noticed the new booster was really working well
    when you hit the brakes you can see the hose really working, before you couldnt see that.

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    I've got a 97 M3 with just 80K on it. I've been having the low pedal problem for a long time. My guess is since 70K or before.

So much for a low mileage booster.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhudson View Post
    I've got a 97 M3 with just 80K on it. I've been having the low pedal problem for a long time. My guess is since 70K or before.

So much for a low mileage booster.

Jay
    I think it really depends on how much abuse the car had. If it was aolder guy who didnt track it or really abuse the car at all then the booster would probabaly last a very long time. If say a younger guy who tracks it and likes to drive spiritedly owned the car then it will probabaly not last long. Im hoping mine lasts a while. Like I said I didnt have 400 dollars to spend nor wait a few days to get one. Its fixed for now. Ill be sure to let you guys know if it starts reoccuring again. Oh and FYI, after replacing the booster, I just bled the brakes from the master cylinder and pumping the brakes up. Worked like a charm. Im heading up to Nh for NHMS

My Cars
    98 M3 GTS2
    Bringing back an old thread...
    Im definitely having this problem and would like to replace the booster asap. I found it on euro depot here for what seems to be a good price for a new unit. The part number matches the one previously posted however pelican lists this as a 325i part and just wanted to confirm its also the correct part for an m3 (same booster used on all/some e36s perhaps?).

http://www.theeurodepot.com/product.php?id=MTMwMg

Edit:
    Actually, according to pelican and realoem.com, apparently the part number changed sometime around 1996 from 34331162965 to 34331162963. The booster shown in the earlier post had the 34331162965 part number, which is the "earlier" model. Anyone have info on if there is an actual difference/what the correct part number is?
    Last edited by VengeanceM3; 10-16-2008 at 11:56 PM.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    In 96 they switched the ABS to a 4 channel, and also eliminated the pedal sensor on the 328. I'm not sure what the 99 M3 uses though ... my 95 M3 booster and my 92 325 booster were the same as far as I can tell.

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    In 96 they switched the ABS to a 4 channel, and also eliminated the pedal sensor on the 328. I'm not sure what the 99 M3 uses though ... my 95 M3 booster and my 92 325 booster were the same as far as I can tell.
    I believe I have a 97+ m3 booster. I dont think it matters

My Cars
    '95 M3, '94 325is
    i have a theory about this. i work for honda and got me to thinking about an update done on a generation of civics. older gen had the booster bolted to the firewall, then the MC was bolted to the other side like on our cars. the revision was a design that bolted the MC to the same bolt as the ones holding it to the firewall. this prevented the booster from having the freedom to stretch from pedal pressure.

so... the next guy to replace his, place the new one on a flat surface next to the old one and see if the old one has stretched on the center.
    David Ortiz

My Cars
    E36M3 E30M3 E46318
    i have done the change to day but to a used one that i could not test before,
    my car still have the bad feeling, so i guess mabye the old part i get has the same problem that my old one or it is some other problem

i could not see someting that have stretched on this two

My Cars
    '99 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by spjuvern View Post
    i have done the change to day but to a used one that i could not test before,
    my car still have the bad feeling, so i guess mabye the old part i get has the same problem that my old one or it is some other problem

i could not see someting that have stretched on this two
    Wow, for the amount of PITA work involved, it's definitely worth paying the money for a new booster.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe IP #211, 2001 330 Ci, 2005 F-250 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by dbbmwm3 View Post
    Wow, for the amount of PITA work involved, it's definitely worth paying the money for a new booster.

I'm looking at free labor when I get my booster replaced!
    Joel

My Cars
    '99 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilly View Post
    I'm looking at free labor when I get my booster replaced!
    Joel
    Yea, that's going to cost you at least a few beers

My Cars
    E36M3 E30M3 E46318
    i stil cant understand what it wrong with the boster, i dont like the ide of change to a new one if i cant understand what the problem is with the old one

My Cars
    '95 M3, '94 325is
    i can only think of deformation being the problem, but i need a good and a bad one for measurements.
    David Ortiz

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thread revival (wow, almost 10 years)!!
    I have the symptoms described in this thread, with an otherwise healthy brake system (calipers/lines/pads recently replaced, and bleed frequently).

2 Questions:
    Anyone have experience/luck with a rebuilt brake booster?
    Any further feedback on this 'fix' from folks that have done it?

Thanks.

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    This has been talked about in several locations, as I have researched this topic also. Every person has almost a different fix for the problem and some dont have the problem at all. After replacing: Calipers, lines, pads, rotors, ABS pump, Booster, Master cylinder, bearings, nothing fixed it. I bought the Porsche BBK and now is 100% better.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast