Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Results 201 to 214 of 214

Thread: Replacing brake booster - HELP!

  1. #201
    NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    4,704
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
    I can confirm that on pre '97 cars you need a true ADS connection with a serial port. Using the one from openlabs I'm able to communicate with my ABS unit just fine.
    Although I did get both an eBay laptop with serial port, the OpenLabs cable, and the eBay INPA software, I was still never able to get the software to communicate with the ABS pump. Some kind of obscure error message which I now disremember. Hey, it was last year ;-)

    Anyone got a link to INPA setup/troubleshooting? I have heard that it's somewhat finicky.

    However the reason why I am commenting here is because I'm also in a situation where I need to replace my booster, and none are available. The newer ones without the brake pedal travel position sensor are far more available, and much cheaper than if some of these places in Europe actually do have the 965 units.
    FWIW, and following golgo13's lead, I did successfully source the proper booster, with its travel sensor, from the French outfit. And yes, not without some collateral difficulty.

    Quote Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
    I still canít believe this part is NLA, this is a brake component totally necessary for a functioning vehicle, and for there to be none made anymore for a car produced at quantity all the way to 1999 is just baffling to me.
    Yeah, makes no sense. Since some E36 cars apparently didn't have the travel sensor, you'd thing there must be some method of bypassing the need for it.

    Neil
    Last edited by NeilM; 10-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    139
    My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    Although I did get both an eBay laptop with serial port, the OpenLabs cable, and the eBay INPA software, I was still never able to get the software to communicate with the ABS pump. Some kind of obscure error message which I now disremember. Hey, it was last year ;-)

    Anyone got a link to INPA setup/troubleshooting? I have heard that it's somewhat finicky.



    FWIW, and following golgo13's lead, I did successfully source the proper booster, with its travel sensor, from the French outfit. And yes, not without some collateral difficulty.



    Yeah, makes no sense. Since some E36 cars apparently didn't have the travel sensor, you'd thing there must be some method of bypassing the need for it.

    Neil
    I admittedly haven't tried INPA with it. Does your interface have the toggle switch for ADS? When it's recognizing your car I would try leaving the switch in the normal or non ADS position and with your key in the 1st position. Have you gotten it that far yet?

    I imagine that it would just involve replacing the traction control and ABS modules but I'm not certain.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    139
    My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Just in case anyone is still looking, this site just got back to me and has told me that they are available: https://www.teilehaber.de/itm/bremsk...l?id=106463337

    And so far it seems my order is going through, they have said that I will be notified when it ships out but I still haven't received a notification. However I have been sent the pdf receipt so I don't think it will be cancelled at this point. Also hearing back from this German place telling me that they have it is also encouraging.

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    2,706
    My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    I got my new ATE booster from onlineautoparts.uk last year. It actually showed up like 5 days later, pretty fast and no hassle/issues.

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    139
    My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    I got my new ATE booster from onlineautoparts.uk last year. It actually showed up like 5 days later, pretty fast and no hassle/issues.
    That is amazingly fast, good for them! Do you remember how much you payed?

    Update from my side is that yesterday I finally got the notification that it had shipped out, and got a tracking number.

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    408
    My Cars
    E36M
    Quote Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
    Just in case anyone is still looking, this site just got back to me and has told me that they are available: https://www.teilehaber.de/itm/bremsk...l?id=106463337

    And so far it seems my order is going through, they have said that I will be notified when it ships out but I still haven't received a notification. However I have been sent the pdf receipt so I don't think it will be cancelled at this point. Also hearing back from this German place telling me that they have it is also encouraging.
    That's a great price and with free shipping?

    Shoot, I might even buy another as a spare!

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central, MD
    Posts
    1,649
    My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yea, that's a good price for new. And, IMO, new has its advantages over rebuilt.

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    139
    My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    That's a great price and with free shipping?

    Shoot, I might even buy another as a spare!
    Without shipping, the french company actually has the better price. Also that German one got back to me from my question on how much shipping would be and they actually said it isn't possible. So we are down to the UK and French one I suppose.

  9. #209
    NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    4,704
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
    Without shipping, the french company actually has the better price. Also that German one got back to me from my question on how much shipping would be and they actually said it isn't possible. So we are down to the UK and French one I suppose.
    And be sure to adjust for VAT (Value Added Tax, essentially sales tax). VAT is always included in the quoted list price, but should not be charged on products shipped to buyers outside the EU. VAT varies slightly from country to country, but is generally in the 19-20% area. That's likely to be enough to cover shipping, especially for high value/moderate weight parts like the brake booster.

    I've bought a number of Euro parts for another of our cars from a vendor in Latvia. They ship FedEx, which takes only a few days to arrive here.

    Neil

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    139
    My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    And be sure to adjust for VAT (Value Added Tax, essentially sales tax). VAT is always included in the quoted list price, but should not be charged on products shipped to buyers outside the EU. VAT varies slightly from country to country, but is generally in the 19-20% area. That's likely to be enough to cover shipping, especially for high value/moderate weight parts like the brake booster.

    I've bought a number of Euro parts for another of our cars from a vendor in Latvia. They ship FedEx, which takes only a few days to arrive here.

    Neil
    Well this company is using their French Post and then it will be going to USPS once it is domestic. Mecatrouve's price with no taxes, including VAT was 212.75 euros, however they charge a lot to ship to the US so the total ends up being 292.75 euros.

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    139
    My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    And be sure to adjust for VAT (Value Added Tax, essentially sales tax). VAT is always included in the quoted list price, but should not be charged on products shipped to buyers outside the EU. VAT varies slightly from country to country, but is generally in the 19-20% area. That's likely to be enough to cover shipping, especially for high value/moderate weight parts like the brake booster.

    I've bought a number of Euro parts for another of our cars from a vendor in Latvia. They ship FedEx, which takes only a few days to arrive here.

    Neil
    Just thought I'd come back to report that I did receive and install the new booster, however I am still struggling to get air out of my fluid. I'm just wondering if anyone else here has noticed something I seem to be experiencing on my old 328 MC, 2 used M3 MC's, and 1 new Centric brand M3 MC. Which is this, when I am bench bleeding my MC whether with a screwdriver or in my car attached to the booster and using my foot. If I depress the MC too quickly, it shoots a bunch of air into the fluid. Does this make sense to anyone? Can anyone confirm this?

  12. #212
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,716
    My Cars
    1999 m3 and 740iL
    Add me to the list of people who ordered through Mecatrouve. Findings:

    • Google translate was my friend, completed everything in French.
    • I didn't have to create an account on their website, which is good because I was stumped where it asked me to enter my country and it didn't have the US listed. No problem, their email support was helpful.
    • Emailed their contact and told them what I wanted to buy and where I wanted it shipped. They quickly created an email quote with a link, simply followed that to review the order and place payment with credit card.
    • The initial order gets placed without shipping - which threw me off for a minute. Suspected maybe they didn't know I was shipping it. But after that initial payment they sent a second invoice link with the shipping cost.
    • Tracking number came a few hours later
    • Booster cost: 218.08 Euro
    • Shipping cost: 45 Euro
    • Total cost: 263.08 Euro = $292.38


    I don't have it in hand yet, so time will tell if it gets here. Will update once I receive.

    My only concern is the shipping address, the US format is slightly different from the French. The receipt they sent me had my state on the same line as the street address. I emailed them to correct this but didn't hear back. Putting my faith in the USPS to figure out where it's coming to (a gamble I know). Hopefully they aren't thrown off by that 1 line.

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    139
    My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    Although I did get both an eBay laptop with serial port, the OpenLabs cable, and the eBay INPA software, I was still never able to get the software to communicate with the ABS pump. Some kind of obscure error message which I now disremember. Hey, it was last year ;-)

    Anyone got a link to INPA setup/troubleshooting? I have heard that it's somewhat finicky.



    FWIW, and following golgo13's lead, I did successfully source the proper booster, with its travel sensor, from the French outfit. And yes, not without some collateral difficulty.



    Yeah, makes no sense. Since some E36 cars apparently didn't have the travel sensor, you'd thing there must be some method of bypassing the need for it.

    Neil
    Iím sure theyíll figure it out. Another thing to mention which makes the cost hurt less is the fact that these come with new pedal travel sensors too, which is nice because they do break.

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central, MD
    Posts
    1,649
    My Cars
    1995 M3
    That makes it a damn good deal.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •