Thread: '97 740iL Soft Brakes & Rear Window Shade

My Cars
    '97 740iL

'97 740iL Soft Brakes & Rear Window Shade

Hi, just bought my first BMW and am too excited.

The brakes were soft when I bought it last week. The owner suggested it just needs pads, but there's no indication that they are worn. Slight pulse with hard braking.

Also, I didn't know what the rear window shade button did until I had pushed it a bunch of times and finally looked in the rear view mirror to see the shade up (have since read the manual in full). The shade is down now, but there is no response when pushing the button (no clicking or whirring). The fuse is good; did I burn out the relay?

Also, no radio. Turns on, CDs play fine. Searches for stations without finding any.

Thank you to anyone who can help. I want this great car to be perfect, whether I can help it or have to go to the dreaded dealer.

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanIL View Post
    Hi, just bought my first BMW and am too excited.

The brakes were soft when I bought it last week. The owner suggested it just needs pads, but there's no indication that they are worn. Slight pulse with hard braking.

Also, I didn't know what the rear window shade button did until I had pushed it a bunch of times and finally looked in the rear view mirror to see the shade up (have since read the manual in full). The shade is down now, but there is no response when pushing the button (no clicking or whirring). The fuse is good; did I burn out the relay?

Also, no radio. Turns on, CDs play fine. Searches for stations without finding any.

Thank you to anyone who can help. I want this great car to be perfect, whether I can help it or have to go to the dreaded dealer.
    I'd get an indy to take a look at the brakes, they can tell you for sure what the fix is.

You may have burnt out the motor for the rear window shade. The repair is pretty long to DIY, but if you are willing to spend a couple hours taking your car apart and putting it back together, here ya go: http://www.csparks.com/bmw/SunScreen/index.xml

As for the radio, do you get any static when the radio is on? You just can't get reception? Take the radio out and check the antenna connector (round male plug, about 1 cm in diameter). Make sure it is secure. If it is and it still doesn't work, in the trunk on the left most side where the cd changer is, you'll have to remove the carpet trip around the CD changer. There shoudl be a black box about 6 inchs long, 3 inches wide, 2 inches deep with several connectors on it. This is your radio antenna tuner. Check that all the connections are secure on that.

Welcome to the board!

My Cars
    95 525i
    You may need the radio/cassette player. Remove it from car spray electrical contact cleaner into radio vent holes and at rear, wait till it drys or blow dry, reinstall and see if it works. It may work for a while then start scanning for stations again. At least you know you have a bad radio. Go on e-bay find another one. As for the rear shade,remove R/Rear seat back, disconnect the 2 connectors going to shade module, the plug with 2 wire plug goes to shade motor, try powering and grounding wires to see if shade goes up or down. If it does your problem may be the control module(61311382995).

My Cars
    (E38) '01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeIsLuke View Post
    I'd get an indy to take a look at the brakes, they can tell you for sure what the fix is.

You may have burnt out the motor for the rear window shade. The repair is pretty long to DIY, but if you are willing to spend a couple hours taking your car apart and putting it back together, here ya go: http://www.csparks.com/bmw/SunScreen/index.xml

As for the radio, do you get any static when the radio is on? You just can't get reception? Take the radio out and check the antenna connector (round male plug, about 1 cm in diameter). Make sure it is secure. If it is and it still doesn't work, in the trunk on the left most side where the cd changer is, you'll have to remove the carpet trip around the CD changer. There shoudl be a black box about 6 inchs long, 3 inches wide, 2 inches deep with several connectors on it. This is your radio antenna tuner. Check that all the connections are secure on that.

Welcome to the board!

Great link there, Luke! Thanks (for future reference that is..)

Welcome To BimmerForums, RyanIL!

*ASE Master Auto Technician <> Member, BMW CCA