Thread: New Projects, need info and any advice you guys can offer!

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon

Exclamation

Hey everybody,

this is my new project for my car.

I am going to install in the course of the next 6 months:

1. A forced induction system. I haven't decided on a turbo or supercharger. I'm leaning somewhat on a supercharger as a stock M52 can hold 6psi without breaking a sweat. Also, S/Cs are more readily available for a beemer.

1a. If I don't go with forced induction, then I'll opt for a big bore kit 3.4L or a crate motor 3.5L. Any opinions?

2. An auto to manual conversion. Has anyone done this on an E36? I'd like any write ups and photos available. What am I going to need for parts? I figure at least a new/used for a 323is ECU, tranny (of course) drive-shaft, clutch assembly. I'm sick of the self-shifter and my titanium knee is much better and finally healed.

I'll add more as my mind works on it. Also, I'm going to keep the 3.73s in the rear for that extra get-up-and-go muscle.

Hmmmm, or I can keep my order for the new M3, or I can do all this to hold me over and then sell it to some lucky kid, or I can keep it and keep smiling ear to ear.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

You've got mail...

1993 325i - Jim C chip, ECIS CAIS, BMP Intake, K&N, fan delete.
    *SOLD* 95///M3 - Engine/Exhaust: Underdrive Pulley, Port & Polished Intake, ECIS Heat Shield, BMP Intake, 9" K&N Filter Charger

Lopaka,

What did you email him? Something to share? I wanna know what you told him about those engine mods or SC or auto to manual swap!!!

Jimmy325 in cold climate

My Cars
    Pokeball
    MaDHaTTeR> are you sure all those new mods are going to fit into your signature???

Home: Bay Area, California |||| College: UCSB
    The engine and tranni swap (IMO) are just too much money if you want it done right, its easier to buy a new car. As for getting a stroker kit - the largest Ive seen for a 2.5L is a 3.2L... any larger than that will cost astronomical $$$. Besides, a 3.2 stroker for a 2.5 is pretty much a racing engine (in other words, no way in hell street legal). Theres also some other stuff you havent tried - new cams, new torque convertor, a reprogrammed TCM, or smaller wheels (joke :p ). Of your choices, forced induction seems the best - thats what Id shoot for if I were you. If I were me, Id go for the tranni crap first.
    - Jon, '93 325is

I'd say stick with this car. Do the Auto to manual swap. But instead of stroking the engine, use the money to buy new rods, pistons, camshafts, valves, and springs. This way you can run high boost, and make up for the bore. Plus if you bore the engine, you will make the walls of the block thinner, and weaker under boost.

As for the swap. I don't know how it is for bimmers, but back when I had my Ford Probe, it was commonplace for someone to swap out an auto transmission, for a standard. I think the only problem people encountered was the loss of their reverse lights. Also, you have to rig up your ECU so it thinks the car is always in park, or you wont be able to start up, off shut off your car.

Personally, I think when you think something is not worth the effort, look at your own signature, and I think it will inspire you.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    BimmerXTC,

I met up with Ben Liaw this afternoon and he mentioned to me that it can be done, and the cost isn't so bad either. He stated $2,000 including all parts and labor. I can even keep my rear for its higher gearing. I can also put out $3,500 for a 6 speed conversion, I'm not sure I'll go that high though, I'd like the rest of the money to go into a blower. As for the ECU, I can swap out mine for an ECU from a manual tranny car.

Man, my mind is working over time to think about where this money will go.

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2000 323iT
    What <b>S/C</b> are you looking at?
    Nick

1998 M3 Estoril • 2000 323it TiAg sport 5 spd

My Cars
    just an old 328
    I say sell it and buy a new M3.. come on now.. i LOVE the E36 as much as everyone here.. but look at that E46 M3. 333hp STOCK!.. it wouldnt even be a decision with me. E46 M3. Nav system, the works...
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    the same goes for me, i've already ordered mine. problem is, i'll have to wait 2 years+ for my silver/black M3. I ordered every option in the book including the nav and park sensors too.

I have 2 or more years to wait and I'm impatient for power. My current car will be my down payment for the M3.

my tax refund will pay for the tranny or s/c. question is, which do i do first and with whom do I do it with?

the s/c i can imagine will be very expensive cause of the brand of car we own, too bad though $2,000 gets you a turbo civic.

My Cars
    2000 540i, 1998 Z3 (sold
    Forget modding a 323... if you are going to spend the money on mods, just step up and buy a M... then you can mod that.... you will get more bang for the buck.

Originally posted by Willy
    I say sell it and buy a new M3.. come on now.. i LOVE the E36 as much as everyone here.. but look at that E46 M3. 333hp STOCK!.. it wouldnt even be a decision with me. E46 M3. Nav system, the works...
    Yea, the new M3 is real nice, but...Think about all the work thats went into the car. When you sell that, you wont get half of what you've put into it. Not to mention a two year wait for the M. I say keep modding this car, then when you can afford to keep this one, and buy a new ///M3, go for it. But thats just my opinion.

My Cars
    just an old 328
    We all know that the mods we are all doing arent going to be worth anything in the future.. its not an investment .... hehe.. So stop modding your 325 and wait for the E46 M3.. or sell the 325 and buy a E36 M3.. buy a 95 M3 and AA that bitch..!!
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

Home: Bay Area, California |||| College: UCSB
    Well if you want to blow the cash on an E46 M3, then remember to get a nice, fat warranty - so when the engine blows up you can get a new one.
    - Jon, '93 325is

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon

Talking

aaaaahhh...I see.

Well, I already picked up a phat warranty with full coverage and I'm going to research the conversion to a 5spd/6spd. Ben Liaw mentioned only $2,000 for a 5spd and then another 4-6Gs for a blower.

I'd wait for the M3, but with all the work in my car, it's my Car....nobody has anything like it. get an M3 and it'll be like everybody elses M3 all over again. Besides, I'd like to wait for the hype to die down a little. Remember when the Z3 came out and nobody could get one for a decent price? it's the same thing here too.

thanks for the advice everybody!

Hey man, I'm a professional!