Thread: I want to get into auto-x, please help me out.

My Cars
    A6 4.2, some Honda

I want to get into auto-x, please help me out.

I have been wanting to get into auto-x for a while but cost had always been the issue, i stumbled upon a ~95 325is, 5 speed that someone had meant to turn into a track car but eventually gave up and abandon it behind his brothers house. its striped out, no cage, but does have a seat, i believe it to be mostly stock and in good shape, his brother said he would probably take about $500 cash.

So i have around 3-4K that i can initially invest into the car, do i have a chance with no formal racing experience to at least get a foot in the door? or would i be getting in way to over my head with a 325is?

Also what is required as far as licenseing to compete?

I apologize about all the questions but i really know nothing about auto-x and i figure there is a wealth of knowledge here to tap into.
    HHC 2/135

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Dude you're taking this way to serious. Slap some tires on that baby, fix up any little things and go to a local auto-x and just have fun.

You'll quickly find the weakest point in the car and will give you a good idea on where to spend your money.

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Auto-x does not have licensing and is really run what you brung. All you need is a helmet. Most cars are daily drivers.

You sure that thing runs, it might not be worth $500
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    A6 4.2, some Honda
    sounds fairly straight up, so i guess the more simple question; is there any licensing involved in auto-x? any special safety requirements?
    HHC 2/135

My Cars
    97 m3
    No need for any type of racing liscense. A good start would be to find a good club in your area. Most of them host some sort of novice day to introduce new drivers. If there is not a novice day anytime soon, most experienced drivers would be happy to take you along for rides and ride with you to get you started.

325is is a great car for it!

My Cars
    A6 4.2, some Honda
    mechanically its sound, he just started to turn it into a track car and lost interest. E36's are hard to come buy cheaply up here, the bottom out around 4K, and this one is rust free which is almost unheard of.
    HHC 2/135

My Cars
    328is, E90, E70 :(, E46T
    i know a guy that competes nationally in a POS car i am not sure i would want to even get in to. and he drives it all over the country to compete (and win BTW)

local autox isn't all that expensive. go for safety and reliability first, then work on your skills. save your money untill you have an idea as to the direction you want to take the car.
    "Sell the damn thing quickly, Leedham, before somebody mistakes you for a commoner."

My Cars
    2011 Subaru WRX
    My playground is a parking lot.
    '99 M3 convertible- Sold
    2011 Subaru WRX- D Street

My Cars
    99M3/05neon
    check out MNAUTOX.com, make a starter post there and you'll find everything you need to know to get into events locally. I started 2 years ago and I've hit about 15 events with the Minnesota autosports club. They're cheap and it's easy to get involved. As for prep, I'd stick with what everyone has been saying, just make sure the car is sound and get out to an event. Then go from there

-adam

Street Tire C Stock

My Cars
    95 m3
    find out what clubs autox locally, and if any offer low cost schools. at regular events, ask veterans to drive your car, and have them ride shotgun too. lots of free advice and tips can be gotten that way =).
    -An

My Cars
    2003 330i #183 STX
    Quote Originally Posted by B4rb3r View Post
    check out MNAUTOX.com, make a starter post there and you'll find everything you need to know to get into events locally. I started 2 years ago and I've hit about 15 events with the Minnesota autosports club. They're cheap and it's easy to get involved. As for prep, I'd stick with what everyone has been saying, just make sure the car is sound and get out to an event. Then go from there

-adam
    I'm also a member of MAC, and www.mnautox.com is one of the most useful and friendly web communities you'll ever find.

You're a bit late to the party, unfortunately, both novice schools are full for this year, but we do have instructors at every event, who can ride with you, and some of the most helpful "competitors" you'll ever meet.

I'll be instructing in the novice schools, and I should be at most every event, please feel free to introduce yourself, and I'll be happy to introduce you around, and help with driving and setup tips. I'm in a silver E46 330i, #313, in DS class.

As far as prep goes, just make sure everything's mechanically sound, especially checking your wheel bearings and that your battery is firmly attached, that brakes and steering work, etc.

Another thing: Autocross is a very driver-centric, skilled sport. You are going to be terrible at it when you start. Be happy if you're not dead last at your first event. An old-timer in a 3cyl geo metro will drive circles around you. Just get out there, have fun, and find out what you can do. Slowly everything will start "clicking", and you'll be dropping time like crazy.

-Matt

My Cars
    A6 4.2, some Honda
    thank you guys very much for all the help and advice, I'm just going to do as you suggest and get the car in good shape and take it out for the day, I'll mess around with switching parts later. with any luck mid june ill be able to tell you guys about my fist time out.

murph1379 ill probably some time shoot you a PM before i actually attend an event just to get your advice on what i should be prepared for/bring
    HHC 2/135

My Cars
    98 Buick Regal :(
    Let me know if you don't want it

My Cars
    A6 4.2, some Honda
    heres another question, what are the first parts to go bad with that sort of driving? i would assume clutch and breaks becuase of the heat right?
    HHC 2/135

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Most runs last less than 60 seconds. Brakes shouldn't be a problem. Usually, you'll get into 2nd gear and stay there the entire time.

Frankly as had been said, just show up and drive. You'll need a helmet, most clubs require Snell2000 or better, but your local club(s) probably have a web page with rules, and they might even have loaner helmets. All cars have to go through a tech-inspection to make sure they won't fall apart on the track or drop parts/fluids.

Fees for the day run $25-35 and you'll be expected to volunteer when you're not running. Where I autocross probably 90% of the cars are daily drives and many with few modifications. You will see cars that show up on trailers and the owners have put alot of money into, but you should run for at least a season before you decide to go this route.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2011 Subaru WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan86242 View Post
    heres another question, what are the first parts to go bad with that sort of driving? i would assume clutch and breaks becuase of the heat right?
    When you are just starting out, the biggest wear item will be your tires. Don't worry about it, just get out there and have fun. Take instructors with you on every run if you can.

Scott
    My playground is a parking lot.
    '99 M3 convertible- Sold
    2011 Subaru WRX- D Street

My Cars
    1962 Austin-Sprite/1998
    It sounds like you haven't been to one yet?

First things first. Find out where they are and GO to one.

Ask to ride along with someone. Ask questions. Find out where you register, tech, line up, park, stash your crap, go pee, eat. That's the important stuff.

When you do your first auto X, I recommend this:

Do the course walk once just paying attention. Do it again and take notes. Draw the course a couple times and break it into easy to remember sections.

If I can't draw the course from memory before my heat, I need to study better.

My Cars
    328i
    Id stay away from that car for autocross purposes. Removing the interior bumps you into an entirely different class from stock and you probably won't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning. There are a lot of people who buy cars just because of what class the car will be competing in. I think it will get old real fast if you are dead last in every race because your car is a bottom feeder in your class.

Now if you want to get a competition license and race wheel to wheel, get it.