Thread: How strong is the automatic transmission?

My Cars
    '05 Subaru Legacy GT, '90 BMW 325ic

How strong is the automatic transmission?

In driving my cabrio (which I just sold), I found the shift points to be horrendous. Made the car feel like a complete slug, as every shift felt like it happened below 3000. I drove a little while doing manual shifting and the car felt so much better as the engine had the opportunity to actual rev through its range.

Was wondering whether E30/M20 auto trannys are strong enough to take manual shifting on revving throughout the powerband on a regular basis? Do any of you drive that way on a regular basis? If so, have you had problems with your transmission?

Oh, and no need to tell me that I should just buy a manual transmission. I'm looking for one. It's just that there are so many auto trans cabrios, and so few manual trans cabrios, on sale out here.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Have you actually ever activated the kickdown switch? If you don't its going to shift low.

Don't shift the 4hp22 manually unless you want it to die, they do not take well to harsh use.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    Alpina B7/4.6is/E34 540
    The 4HP22 is definitely a strong transmission. It was used for almost all automatic models of the same era. The "big six" autos even used the same box. I see them all the time with 200k plus still original. The only thing that will definitely kill it is revving in park/ neutral. On the early units it will burn the forward clutch pack thus no forward drive. I had an 89 325i that I manually shifted constantly with no probs, it had over 185k. do the basics like checking sluid level/ quality at least tho.

-Ben

My Cars
    '05 Subaru Legacy GT, '90 BMW 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    Have you actually ever activated the kickdown switch? If you don't its going to shift low.

Don't shift the 4hp22 manually unless you want it to die, they do not take well to harsh use.
    Wow, I'd never even heard of the kickdown switch. Does it only operate at WOT?

My Cars
    1990 325is
    Most german cars I've driven have it. Never driven an e30 one, but if it's like the ones I've driven, you should feel like a pressure maybe 80% of the way down...a completely different feeling from the previous 80%.. push it past that point and your tranny shifts really late.

My Cars
    E30 (R.I.P), 350z
    yeah man, the kick down switch i think is the "S" on the tranny (correct me if im wrong).. but using that keeps me in my powerband for the most part and i get more power out of it than using the "D" on the sluggy 4HP22.
    Ive been shifting manually once in a whilee, i dont think its too bad for it, howwver i think downshifting could harm it IMO.

My Cars
    1989 325i
    no way in hell you can rev higher than 3000 in an auto...
    1st to second happens in 1500 band...
    2-3 happens in 2000
    3-4 happens in 3000
    by this point you're in 50s...

I would go my route and get an auto...cuz you'll know that it hasn't been raped much...ya know.
    and thereafter swap the sucker for a 5er

My Cars
    Moby Dick the whale.
    I have shifted my father's jeep, my mother's hyundai sonata, and various other auto cars, including an International diesel truck, manually with absolutely no problems. I have also had no problem running near redline with all the above
    Molon Labe.

My Cars
    86 325e 4dr / 87 325 2dr

strong but not built for high-rev, hard driving probably

I've always thought my 86 auto was a tad sluggish off the curb, depending on the curb, but it's very strong under normal driving and the kick down switch works wonderfully-- really taps the torque. I only shift manually from D to S depending on traffic or on hills when I'm in traffic and don't want the transmission to constantly shift.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    What is S?

Cars1) 1991 dimaondschwarz 325i 4dr auto sold(2) 1991 325i Alpineweiss coupe; totaled(3) and current. 1985 camaro z/28

My Cars
    91 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by eshghehBMW View Post
    no way in hell you can rev higher than 3000 in an auto...
    1st to second happens in 1500 band...
    2-3 happens in 2000
    3-4 happens in 3000
    by this point you're in 50s...

I would go my route and get an auto...cuz you'll know that it hasn't been raped much...ya know.
    and thereafter swap the sucker for a 5er
    You describe it as the rpms don't decrease with each gear change???

There is no issue getting to 6k in one with an I motor @ WOT, if it is changing much lower then this you need to check/adjust the kickdown cable. If you are finding it is shifting to soon and want to pep it up some loosen the kickdown cable adjustment, press the pedal down and hold it WOT and adjust the slack out of the kickdown cable. Any tighter then this and it interferes with full throttle.

They are a solid trans EXCEPT for the forward clutch pack issue which can be addressed with different seal rings.

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbombdizzle View Post
    What is S?
    "sport" mode. i believe it came mostly on European e30s. they actually have a little knob on the panel, in between the ebrake and the shifter and it has different modes

My Cars
    86 325e Baur, 03 330xi
    i can tell that almost all E30s on here are manual, there is so much mixed information being told about E30 auto transmissions.

The kick down switch is the "button" under the gas pedal when you press it all the way to the floor. It doesnt actually do anything, but it lets you know that you have floored the car and the transmission will kick down to downshift to a lower gear.

S is supposedly sport mode, but i cant even really tell a difference besides locking out 4th gear.
    the auto trans shifts early to save gas, just give it more gas and it will shift higher.
    My Eta shifts under 2k all day long unless i practically floor it. its stupid.

My Cars
    91 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by tjmonsen5 View Post
    i can tell that almost all E30s on here are manual, there is so much mixed information being told about E30 auto transmissions.

The kick down switch is the "button" under the gas pedal when you press it all the way to the floor. It doesnt actually do anything, but it lets you know that you have floored the car and the transmission will kick down to downshift to a lower gear.

S is supposedly sport mode, but i cant even really tell a difference besides locking out 4th gear.
    the auto trans shifts early to save gas, just give it more gas and it will shift higher.
    My Eta shifts under 2k all day long unless i practically floor it. its stupid.
    This is specific for the 4HP22E which was not common to E30s in the US, the rest had KD cables and no sport mode other than full throttle.

My Cars
    85 325e-86 325es-2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
    My 86 eta ES has the S in the shifter.