Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone repair/replace LEDs in third brake lamp on spoiler?

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by M52 POWER! View Post
    What's funny is when I had a couple bulbs go out a year ago I thought hey I'll "upgrade" to LED's too! I purchased from SuperBrightLED's.com the single emitter "warm white" "wide angle" version. I've gone through 3 replacements as they keep going dim on me. Further worse they look like cheap crap even though I selected the warm white wide output ones. Now that I've gone through 3 replacements in a year they're out of warranty. I complained that they're defective from the original sale but they don't seem to care... That's the reason why I've now decided to just go back to plain old cheap bulbs in the first place! I've already ordered the #2721's 10 pack from Amazon and will post how they look light output wise when they arrive.
    Are you saying they look cheap because the light output from the bar is now white-washed or pinkish?

If that's the case, try Red LED's next time. It'll give you a nice deep red. Red LED's also consume much less current compared to White LED's so they may last longer for you too.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I just read your build thread - that is an amazingly thorough job you're doing there!

I can't believe you're fixing these light bar bulbs when you're in the middle of getting that S54 ready. That's just bonkers!
    Thanks! Yea it's kinda nuts.....

Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Are you saying they look cheap because the light output from the bar is now white-washed or pinkish?

If that's the case, try Red LED's next time. It'll give you a nice deep red. Red LED's also consume much less current compared to White LED's so they may last longer for you too.
    Well, mostly because LED's aren't 360 directional like a real bulb. It creates that pinpoint hot spot, like magnesium burning or something. The light housing has reflective properties to capture this 360 lighting that doesn't work with a LED. Don't get me wrong I LOVED the LED tails on my E46 M3 but this just doesn't match the E36 era like I want it to.
    Last edited by M52 POWER!; 10-12-2017 at 12:18 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Understood

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Bulbs came in today, here's before and after pics.

For some reason all the brake lights look pink and weird in pics but normal in RL.

Stupid LEDs, notice the hot spot each LED makes. Each one is like a spotlight in your eye.

Real bulbs! More unified lighting that follows the light housing shape!

Even if these are the wrong lower wattage bulbs I think it matches perfect. Plus they were like $6 for 10 bulbs on Amazon!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12