Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone repair/replace LEDs in third brake lamp on spoiler?

My Cars
    00 E38,01 E38,99 323 is

Anyone repair/replace LEDs in third brake lamp on spoiler?

Just wondering if parts are available. Three of them are burned out on my 328 (same OEM spoiler as M3s). I know I can get the whole light bar for $75, but I'd rather not do that if $5 in bulbs/leds will cure the problem. A diy would be useful if this is an involved process btw.
    Last edited by strad; 04-17-2008 at 06:41 PM.
    9/2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, black, purchased March 2016, 270k miles.
    6/99 740i Cosmos Schwartz M Sport, 214k miles, purchased May 2017
    2001 740i OrientBlau M Sport, purchased March 2023
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes, Blue/White, PCM Ford 351W, PowerSlot, 912 hours, purchased September 2012 (not a car )
    4/99 323is/5. Titansilber, 211k miles. Straight body project.

past BMWs: 5/1994 325isa (Arktisgrau), 3/1997 328is/5 (cosmosschwartz), 9/1990 535i/5 (calypsorot), 9/1990 318i/5 (brillantrot) 7/93 325i/5 convertible (samoablau) 2/92 325i/5 cabriolet (lagunengruen).
    SÜNDE REISEN

My Cars
    99 M3 (gone), 10 M3
    They're bulbs can be bought at any auto parts store. It's cheap and easy to repair. I'd suggest pulling the light bar, disassembling, and removing a burnt out bulb to take in to the store for a proper match.

My Cars
    E36 M3, '86 Subaru GL
    replace the whole set of lights for best results. chances are they are all on their way out.

My Cars
    00 E38,01 E38,99 323 is
    Wow, thanks guys. The light bar I saw online said led, but if they're bulbs I guess easy enough. I didn't wanna tear into it if there wasn't anything I could fix!
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes, Blue/White, PCM Ford 351W, PowerSlot, 912 hours, purchased September 2012 (not a car )

past BMWs: 5/1994 325isa (Arktisgrau), 3/1997 328is/5 (cosmosschwartz), 9/1990 535i/5 (calypsorot), 9/1990 318i/5 (brillantrot) 7/93 325i/5 convertible (samoablau) 2/92 325i/5 cabriolet (lagunengruen).
    SÜNDE REISEN

My Cars
    E91, E39, 997 911
    Its stupid easy. Like 4 bucks in bulbs.
    2007 Carerra S
    2009 E91
    1990 Toyo PU - POS
    2000 E39/5
    1976 911

My Cars
    00 E38,01 E38,99 323 is
    Well, it cost me about $10 in bulbs, and visits to three different parts stores (and I still had to reuse one bulb since they didn't have enough in stock), but got it done. For those who haven't done this yet, you should be aware that there is in fact a fifth screw under a glued-down plastic cap (bastards ). I chiseled the cap off with a wood chisel I had laying around. The bulb number is 2723 (Sylvania).

SÜNDE REISEN

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    You Might find it best to replace the entire strip. I had about 4 go out on me, and I replaced them. but I noticed that it took some 'jimmying ' of the bulbs to get them to light in the strip.. In other words, the contacts on the strip corrode over time. Most E36s are old enough, by this time, so that you might consider a strip replacement if you cant get the new bulbs to stay lit.. One problem I kept having is that Id get them all to light, but after screwing in the strip and closing the trunk, 1 or two would be out again. Corrosion and Bad Contacts...
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    just did this yesterday since NC apparently passed a law requiring ALL bulbs in spoiler strips to light up and I had a couple out. Did them all with Sylvania 2723 and at least on the first attempt it lit right up and looked great. There definitely was a ton of corrosion on one of the bulb sockets, but I think I cleaned it up relatively well. If this starts to fail, the next step will be some good contact cleaner. Bulbs were about $2 for a 2 pack at Advance Auto. I wonder if anyone has tried some LED bulbs in there? I'm not a fan of overdoing the LED thing, but it really seems like that strip SHOULD be an LED. If this weren't an early-mid 90s design, it probably would have been.

Not too many people drive my car, but the rare times I'd get behind my car with someone else driving, those burned out bulbs would drive me absolutely nuts. It looked pretty ghetto. I guess I should thank NC for this new law, even if it did delay my inspection.

1998 BMW///M3/4/5

My Cars
    330ci 2003
    What about Taillights??? do the same as the third brake??? has anyone done it?

2003 330ci, Manual, K&N Intake, AC Schnitzer Alum. Strut Bar, LED taillights, 19" wheels (8.5 front and 9.5 rear), CSL V1 Front, 35% Tint, Red Gauge Needles, Blacked out headlight trim

My Cars
    95M3, 78 T/A
    Okay, I wasn't about to make a new thread when one existed. I recieved a couple pm's about the problems with burnt out lights. I did mine last night and could take some pics but you guys are smart enough if I describe it for you.

1)remove the spoiler light via the two screws on the each side and pull it out.
    2)remove the plug in the back of the light bar
    3)Next there should be 5 tiny silver screws in the back. One is in the middle. Mine was already there with nothing covering it but after reading other people's problems there may be something covering that middle screw. You may need to chisel it off or something to that effect.
    4)After all the screws are out just go ahead and pry the two pieces apart. The gasket most likely will be shot as this is where your original problems are coming from. I just went ahead when putting it back together I used some silicone caulk. Anything to waterproof it.
    5)Now that you have the assembly apart there are 7 bulbs. I went ahead and replaced all of them with Sylvania 2723's. (I found them at Advanced Auto). Before I threw those bulbs in there is two seperate metal conductor strips. Go ahead and pull both of those out. Don't worry just pry one end and you should be able to figure out how to pull it out.
    6)Mine had corrosion on the bulb contacts so I took some sandpaper and cleaned them up till I had clean metal. I cleaned up some other rusty spots and then put the strips back into the housing. Then just put your bulbs in. Make sure your bulbs have the outside contacts inline and touching the metal strips. I found that they move pretty easily when putting them in and out.
    7) Put back together this tedious project. Before putting the housing back together go head and test out the lights first.

Sorry if this was long and drawn out but I thought I would give as much detail as possible to avoid and confusion or future questions.

95'///M3 Cosmos Black with AA intake, Gen III Exhaust, AA chip, BMP Front strut bar, Koni S/A's, H&R OE springs.
    Origin ID: RomCommm

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3amazesme View Post
    Okay, I wasn't about to make a new thread when one existed. I recieved a couple pm's about the problems with burnt out lights. I did mine last night and could take some pics but you guys are smart enough if I describe it for you.

1)remove the spoiler light via the two screws on the each side and pull it out.
    2)remove the plug in the back of the light bar
    3)Next there should be 5 tiny silver screws in the back. One is in the middle. Mine was already there with nothing covering it but after reading other people's problems there may be something covering that middle screw. You may need to chisel it off or something to that effect.
    4)After all the screws are out just go ahead and pry the two pieces apart. The gasket most likely will be shot as this is where your original problems are coming from. I just went ahead when putting it back together I used some silicone caulk. Anything to waterproof it.
    5)Now that you have the assembly apart there are 7 bulbs. I went ahead and replaced all of them with Sylvania 2723's. (I found them at Advanced Auto). Before I threw those bulbs in there is two seperate metal conductor strips. Go ahead and pull both of those out. Don't worry just pry one end and you should be able to figure out how to pull it out.
    6)Mine had corrosion on the bulb contacts so I took some sandpaper and cleaned them up till I had clean metal. I cleaned up some other rusty spots and then put the strips back into the housing. Then just put your bulbs in. Make sure your bulbs have the outside contacts inline and touching the metal strips. I found that they move pretty easily when putting them in and out.
    7) Put back together this tedious project. Before putting the housing back together go head and test out the lights first.

Sorry if this was long and drawn out but I thought I would give as much detail as possible to avoid and confusion or future questions.
    Just did this myself. And have to say step 7 is one not to miss. You can plug the light bar in without putting the cover back on to test it out. Big time saver if you do have corrosion and one of them doesn't light up.

My Cars
    98' M3,
    Mine were a bitch to get all lit up once inside the housing. I had to enlarge the plastic holes so the bulbs could move a little bit. Then I had to wiggle each bulb until I found its contact point. All 8 (i think) still goin strong though. I re-routed mine to the rear deck lid in the cabin, because I took off the OEM spoiler. The weather cant get to it in there

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by strad View Post
    Well, it cost me about $10 in bulbs, and visits to three different parts stores (and I still had to reuse one bulb since they didn't have enough in stock), but got it done. For those who haven't done this yet, you should be aware that there is in fact a fifth screw under a glued-down plastic cap (bastards ). I chiseled the cap off with a wood chisel I had laying around. The bulb number is 2723 (Sylvania).
    yes
    -Rich-

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    FWIW - DO NOT BUY *interior* bulbs from the auto store - these will either POP or burn out within a couple of weeks. (Ask me how I know that!)

Get the LEDs bulbs off EBAY. Vendors sell them in lots of 8 to 14 for about $15 shipped.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cfn101788 View Post
    Mine were a bitch to get all lit up once inside the housing. I had to enlarge the plastic holes so the bulbs could move a little bit. Then I had to wiggle each bulb until I found its contact point. All 8 (i think) still goin strong though. I re-routed mine to the rear deck lid in the cabin, because I took off the OEM spoiler. The weather cant get to it in there
    I'd like to see a pic of that if you have one.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Any link to the Ebay ones? point me in the right direction...thanks.

Matt

My Cars
    98' M3,
    Quote Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
    I'd like to see a pic of that if you have one.
    A pic of the elarged holes or a pic of the re-routed light?

My Cars
    M3 Evo
    I recently bought a high arch spoiler which had the whole bulb holder missing, the lens just had 7 holes in it (quite handy being 5mm tho), i ordered a pack of 10 x 5mm 12v pre wired leds from ebay, wired 7 of them together, pushed them into the holes and put a blob of silcone sealer over the top to hold them and seal it all, Ł3.29 GBP with free delivery, dealer wanted Ł49.80 + 17.5% vat for the whole unit, (they dont sell the holder seperately).
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350317393330&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

oops, didnt read the post about the led bulbs to fit the standard holder, easier that way lol
    Last edited by elton528i; 05-07-2010 at 03:42 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    ^^^^ ebay link above has been removed. Can anyone point me in the right direction on ebay (seller's name or whatnot) for these LED bulbs. My local auto stores don't carry the 2723s anyways. Thanks.

Matt

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Guys FYI the correct part number is Osram/Sylvania #2721. 2721 is 12V 1.2W (OEM), 2723 is 12V 2.3W.

If you go with the 2.3W your spoiler will be strangely brighter and the bulbs last half as long from nearly twice the heat!

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by M52 POWER! View Post
    Guys FYI the correct part number is Osram/Sylvania #2721. 2721 is 12V 1.2W (OEM), 2723 is 12V 2.3W.

If you go with the 2.3W your spoiler will be strangely brighter and the bulbs last half as long from nearly twice the heat!
    The correct part number is 2723 as originally stated. The voltage and wattage are molded into the back of the light bar itself.

20171008_144320.jpg

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Interesting! The bulbs I pulled out of my OEM bar are individually stamped "OS 12/1.3"

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Interesting! The bulbs I pulled out of my OEM bar are individually stamped "OS 12/1.3"
    I've owned my car for the last 100k miles, but there's still that first 120k where it was (perhaps questionably?) maintained by someone else.

I've been surprised at times the things either the PO or even the dealer worked on.

I'll pull mine out and look when I get home tonight. I think I have a couple "original" bulbs still, though I didn't find the plastic cover over one of the screws, so it seems like mine has been cracked open before.

I'll also note that I read a thread where someone replaced the normal bulbs with LEDs, so I gave it a try.

This did NOT work for me.

First, the LEDs were larger diameter and required I ream out the openings where the bulbs fit. Not a huge issue, but not just plug and play.

Second, the LEDs need to be matched to one another. Electricity takes the path of least resistance, and LEDs either work or they don't, so you have to buy more LEDs than you need and then match the lower resistance ones together - power simply won't flow through the ones with even slightly higher resistance.

Third, once I had matched 4 LEDs they no longer were each getting enough power to illuminate. They were super bright (too bright, actually) when I had 3 matched, when I matched the 4th they all barely illuminated at all.

Finally, I guess if I'd gotten 1.2W LEDs they might have all worked fine - but they really were TOO bright. Rather than illuminate the reflector and fill up the whole housing with light, each LED projected straight out - it looked terrible. Little tiny red dots rather than an illuminated light bar. It looked super trashy, so I didn't bother with trying the lower wattage LEDs - I just went back to the normal bulbs, and it looks great.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I've owned my car for the last 100k miles, but there's still that first 120k where it was (perhaps questionably?) maintained by someone else.

I've been surprised at times the things either the PO or even the dealer worked on.

I'll pull mine out and look when I get home tonight. I think I have a couple "original" bulbs still, though I didn't find the plastic cover over one of the screws, so it seems like mine has been cracked open before.

I'll also note that I read a thread where someone replaced the normal bulbs with LEDs, so I gave it a try.

This did NOT work for me.

First, the LEDs were larger diameter and required I ream out the openings where the bulbs fit. Not a huge issue, but not just plug and play.

Second, the LEDs need to be matched to one another. Electricity takes the path of least resistance, and LEDs either work or they don't, so you have to buy more LEDs than you need and then match the lower resistance ones together - power simply won't flow through the ones with even slightly higher resistance.

Third, once I had matched 4 LEDs they no longer were each getting enough power to illuminate. They were super bright (too bright, actually) when I had 3 matched, when I matched the 4th they all barely illuminated at all.

Finally, I guess if I'd gotten 1.2W LEDs they might have all worked fine - but they really were TOO bright. Rather than illuminate the reflector and fill up the whole housing with light, each LED projected straight out - it looked terrible. Little tiny red dots rather than an illuminated light bar. It looked super trashy, so I didn't bother with trying the lower wattage LEDs - I just went back to the normal bulbs, and it looks great.
    What's funny is when I had a couple bulbs go out a year ago I thought hey I'll "upgrade" to LED's too! I purchased from SuperBrightLED's.com the single emitter "warm white" "wide angle" version. I've gone through 3 replacements as they keep going dim on me. Further worse they look like cheap crap even though I selected the warm white wide output ones. Now that I've gone through 3 replacements in a year they're out of warranty. I complained that they're defective from the original sale but they don't seem to care... That's the reason why I've now decided to just go back to plain old cheap bulbs in the first place! I've already ordered the #2721's 10 pack from Amazon and will post how they look light output wise when they arrive.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    What's funny is when I had a couple bulbs go out a year ago I thought hey I'll "upgrade" to LED's too! I purchased from SuperBrightLED's.com the single emitter "warm white" "wide angle" version. I've gone through 3 replacements as they keep going dim on me. Further worse they look like cheap crap even though I selected the warm white wide output ones. Now that I've gone through 3 replacements in a year they're out of warranty. I complained that they're defective from the original sale but they don't seem to care... That's the reason why I've now decided to just go back to plain old cheap bulbs in the first place! I've already ordered the #2721's 10 pack from Amazon and will post how they look light output wise when they arrive.
    I just read your build thread - that is an amazingly thorough job you're doing there!

I can't believe you're fixing these light bar bulbs when you're in the middle of getting that S54 ready. That's just bonkers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast