Thread: Clutch Switch Function on '95 525i E34

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i

Clutch Switch Function on '95 525i E34

My car will start without the clutch being depressed even after replacing the clutch switch is this the way it is designed? Is the clutch switches primary function part of the cruise control system? I recently got the car and tried the cruise and it didn't work so I did some investigating and got a new clutch switch from the dealer. Someone had removed it completely from the car and the connector was just dangling. I installed the new one and tried starting it without the clutch depressed and it fired right up? Just wondering what the primary function of the clutch switch is, and if the car is supposed to start without the clutch depressed.I did a "search" but did not come up with a straight answer. Love the car!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Not sure about your 95 E34, but some of the 96 E39's didn't have a switch to interlock the starter, only one on the brake and clutch to kill the cruise.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    BMWs got the "clutch to start" function in late 96. All cars before that will start without having the clutch depressed.

Yes, the main (and only really) function of that switch is to disengage cruise once you push the clutch in.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    Yes, these are 'pre-moron audi drivers' cars.

There is no reason to have a clutch switch on any manual imo.

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    unless u leave it in first and start the car

Boom... right threw the garage

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    why would you leave a car in gear in the first place?
    That is what the handbrake/parking brake is for.
    I haven't left a car in gear EVER since I started driving stick.

My Cars
    92 325is(sold),91 525i
    Handbakes tend to fail faster than a clutch would. Back in tha day most manual vehicle drivers never left the car in neutral when they stopped. Especially on a hill.
    Officer I cant help it, it idles at 5000!!!

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    I am from back in the day myself, been driving for 20 years.
    those people who never adjusted their brakes might have had problems back then, but the handbrake should be strong enough to kill the engine and hold it on a hill.

73 mgb, 74 mgb, 75 Toyota hilux, 83 CJ-7, 85 Chevy 4x4, 87 Ford Falcon, 87 325i, 2g DSM (turbotimed also), 92 525iT.

Al of them I left in neutral, on hills, with the handbrake holding them just fine.. now a 50's car or earlier I might leave in gear, as the brakes PERIOD are poor... but a modern car? Unnecessary.

I have moved cars that were left in gear without handbrakes on... all part of parallel parking in BA.

My Cars
    2004 E46 ///M3 6mt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
    Handbakes tend to fail faster than a clutch would. Back in tha day most manual vehicle drivers never left the car in neutral when they stopped. Especially on a hill.
    BMW's owners manual begs to differ, they tell you to NOT leave it in gear when parked.

I like not having to push in the clutch to start.

- Patrick
    2004 BMW E46 ///M3 Coupe 6mt Alpinwieß III/Zimt
    2009 BMW E70 X5 xDrive35d SpaceGrau/Schwarz
    1989 BMW E30 325iXA Sedan Alpinweiß II/Schwarz (Back on the road!)
    2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Sun Fusion Yellow
    1991 BMW E34 ///M5 Sedan 6mt Alpinwieß II/Schwarz (sold )

Real BMWs have straight sixes.

My Cars
    92 325is(sold),91 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    I am from back in the day myself, been driving for 20 years.
    those people who never adjusted their brakes might have had problems back then, but the handbrake should be strong enough to kill the engine and hold it on a hill.

73 mgb, 74 mgb, 75 Toyota hilux, 83 CJ-7, 85 Chevy 4x4, 87 Ford Falcon, 87 325i, 2g DSM (turbotimed also), 92 525iT.

Al of them I left in neutral, on hills, with the handbrake holding them just fine.. now a 50's car or earlier I might leave in gear, as the brakes PERIOD are poor... but a modern car? Unnecessary.

I have moved cars that were left in gear without handbrakes on... all part of parallel parking in BA.

I feel you on that, cause every stick shift car Ive owned has had remotestart. And best believe that Ive had a tight hand brake. But I never fail to see people parking there cars in reverse or in 1st gear. Actually the Saab 5-speed needs the car to be in reverse in order for the key to be removed. And the shifter gets locked into place until the key is inserted. When I saw this i was amazed. It was a 95' or something.
    Officer I cant help it, it idles at 5000!!!

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    Yeah, all this stems from liability concerns... which stem from the "unintended acceleration" of people with fat feet in audis back in the mid 80's...

As a matterof fact, starting a car clutch out removes loading on a relatively unlubricated (before starting) main thrust bearing... One of the tricks that people did on 2g Dsms to help allay the spectre of crankwalk, was to unplug the 'clutch fully depressed' safety switch (they had a second one similar to the e34 for cruise control).

I recall leaning against a Falcon that was left in gear only, and watching it roll down the hill. Since then, handbrake only for me.
    Did accidentally leave it in reverse yesterday, handbrake on... didn't move an inch when i hit the starter... well maybe an inch UP but not horizontally!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    why would you leave a car in gear in the first place?
    That is what the handbrake/parking brake is for.
    I haven't left a car in gear EVER since I started driving stick.
    I haven't left a car under just the e-brake ever.

I usually just leave it in 1st, unless it's somewhat steep, then it's in gear + ebrake.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    e brake by itself is far stronger than being in gear.

I confirmed this while R&R-ing driveline bolts.

You couldn't bump move a car that was on the e-brake when parking, but one with just an engine brake could be moved easily out of your way.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    Thanks everybody, I am trying to break the habit of pushing in the clutch to start the car since coming from a '94 Honda Accord. I always leave the car in nuetral and use the eBrake. The only time I would ever put it in gear would be on an a steep slope in a driveway. The clutch switch fixed the cruise control it now works well so I am thrilled. Had alot of little stuff to fix on the car, the gong was not working, the car was getting the dreaded "brake light circuit" error I think I cleaned and Caig's DeOxit5's every damn light socket and put all OSRAM bulbs in it. I replaced the brake switch but the first one made it worse, the second one I tried seems to have stopped the issue.It had a blown 30A fuse in the fuse box for an auxilliary fan I replaced it but have no idea where it is or what it is for.Anyone know where to get the BMW style fuses with the element exposed on the top?

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    an 8 year old thread I know but I will asker here any way

is the clutch switch a negative or positive trigger switch?
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by E38740iMD View Post
    an 8 year old thread I know but I will asker here any way is the clutch switch a negative or positive trigger switch?
    Should be easy to tell by the wire colors. If the wires are brown and brown with a stripe, the switch is grounding something. If one wire is red with a stripe, the switch is powering something.

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Should be easy to tell by the wire colors. If the wires are brown and brown with a stripe, the switch is grounding something. If one wire is red with a stripe, the switch is powering something.
    thanks for the quick reference. ill snoop around tonight
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    Bmw E38 740i
    One of the reason why I got rid of my Audi and got myself a 95 540/6. Useless clutch switch functions

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by yuceturk1453 View Post
    One of the reason why I got rid of my Audi and got myself a 95 540/6. Useless clutch switch functions
    I recode the EWS module on all my post-97 BMWs so that they can start without the clutch being depressed.

I still press it because it's a habit but I like the option of firing the car into motion while it's in gear (should i ever need to) or being able to leave it in neutral and start it without getting if I'm working on something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    92 M5
    My 90 degree connector broke on this switch, does anyone know which one is correct for this. I bought one but it is too big. Still works fine as I plugged the intact piece of the connector back in.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328i convert
    i have a 1998 328i convert it was a automatic and changed over to 5 speed at a bmw dealer my problem i replaced the heater core since then car will not turn over all dash lites come on was working good befoer now does not crank

My Cars
    are slow
    Starter motor EV mode

1 hp baby
    Last edited by XAlt; 08-20-2017 at 09:20 PM.