Thread: Heated Mirrors ON all the time ???

Question Heated Mirrors ON all the time ???

Can anyone help me ?

I just had to replace my drivers side mirror because it had turned brownish. Probably because the heating element rusted or something...

Since it was replaced, the drivers side mirror is HOT all the time and the passenger side is not...

In some threads, it is said that they heat whenever the car is ON. However, in the BMW documentation they say it will only heat when the weather is cold enough ?

Thanks !
    '08 E92 M3 DCT Black/Black
    E46 M3/3L engine Racecar

SOLD :
    '05 M3 ZCP/SMG (Silver Grey/Cinnamon)
    '98 M3/2,8L engine Race Car
    '04 330 Ci ZHP (Black/Black)
    '98 M3/2 with Eurosport/Conforti OBDII Kit H&R Sport Springs, Koni Shocks, X brace, Hawk HP+ pads, Yokos A032R tires (track and street), swapped strut hats

My Cars
    '02 Subie WRX Wagon
    nope on ALL the time..Both of mine are hot ALL the time. I'm trying to figure a way to wire them up to an extra heated seat switch I have, but haven't had the time to do it.
    .....you say "sandwich."
    Anson HAD a '97 M3/4a Cosmos/black w/ some good stuffs......He also HAD a '04 Pontiac GTO (Goat) Quicksilver/black w/ Lingenfelter CAI....Now he has a '02 Subie WRX wagon....stuffs on the way

My drivers' side is on all the time, but the passenger one does not seem to warm at all... It probably is simply dead or rusted or something.

Thanks !
    '08 E92 M3 DCT Black/Black
    E46 M3/3L engine Racecar

SOLD :
    '05 M3 ZCP/SMG (Silver Grey/Cinnamon)
    '98 M3/2,8L engine Race Car
    '04 330 Ci ZHP (Black/Black)
    '98 M3/2 with Eurosport/Conforti OBDII Kit H&R Sport Springs, Koni Shocks, X brace, Hawk HP+ pads, Yokos A032R tires (track and street), swapped strut hats

My Cars
    '98 M3
    You'd think BMW would do the smart thing and wire them into the rear defroster switch...
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    2007 Acura MDX, 2001 Accord V6
    It seems on the 3 series (E36) we have them heated all the time. On the 5 series and up, they are controlled by outside temperature. Mine have been replaced numerous times over the years since they keep burning out. The next time I will see how the extended warranty handles it.
    Ron

My Cars
    94 325I/ 00 M5
    You can pop the mirror glass out and unplug the heating element.
    This is what I did after replacing mine.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    why worry? I just rest my hand up against it when it's chilly and I have the windows open. Keeps my fingers nice and toasty.

it's useful when it's warm out too, such as in the rain - when cruising, it keeps the mirror relatively dry which is a nice little feature.

Hey man, I'm a professional!