Thread: having thoughts of selling '97M3 for '95...

Lightbulb

Lately I've been having thoughts of selling my 97M3 (as is) and picking up a '95, then spending extra cash on performance mods...the only way I would do it is if I could get an acceptable price for my car and I'm not to sure that i can...I really want to try though!!!

anyone have any thoughts/have been thinking about doing this???
    Andrew 97M3

1997 M3 Sedan...
    http://members.cardomain.com/ajp_m3

My Cars
    2012 E350

a few Q's

What kind of mods you going to do to your car? Because unless you plan on modding heavily, it probably wouldn't be worth it. Although the OBDII's are harder to mod, they have stronger engine. Unless you want to go into serious engine mods, I would just keep your 97

First mod I planned on doing was an AA stage 1 turbo kit...

When I bought the 97M3 I had the audio/video bug...dont get me wrong I like the car but I feel that I am not getting full potential from it and basically I am not looking to put anymore $$$ into a new car just a little switch.

'97 M3 auto w/show mods for a '95 5speed w/go mods...

btw another big reason is that I made the mistake of buying an auto M3...I didnt want to bother w/ shifting since this was my daily driver and I was planning all show.
    But in the last few weeks I have been driving my friends 97 M3 5speed and IMO the difference is noticeable between auto & 5speed

sorry for the long post but I am really excited about trying to work this out!
    Last edited by Andrew 97M3; 03-10-2001 at 07:32 PM.
    Andrew 97M3

1997 M3 Sedan...

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Somebody else (Jonathan V) was having the same thought. He decided to stick with his '99 instead.

As for auto M3s... the automatic drivetrain sucks alot of power from the M3. I saw a dyno plot comparing a automatic M3 vs. a 328is with intake and exhaust and the M3 only put down maybe 7-10 more hp to the wheels.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

this is something that i know
    Andrew 97M3

1997 M3 Sedan...

My Cars
    M3

I was in same boat for a while

I wanted to sell my previous 97 and get a 95 (but really because I wanted a LTW--like stuff that hardly anyone else has..that's just me..so much for buying a Cosmos Blk M3, )
    Anyways, I decided to keep the 97. Granted I was after the higher-torque/HP range of a smaller, equally as powerful engine (until modifications are compared, as you know) like the 3.0L. But the 3.2L is still really good and has a good, flat torque curve..so it was just was not going to be worth it for me to go through the headaches of selling and buying another car (I tried! I hate trying to sell a car!).
    But wait a second..you have an auto. If you're going to go with a stick..do it all the way, ...a modified 95 will be a different car all together for you. Only reason I ended up with one was because I had a bad spin with the 97, so the 95 was my best choice for performance and price at that time...You should be able to pick up a good 95 with under 50k miles for under $22K if you look around...good luck. CYA>PM3
    Last edited by PM3; 03-10-2001 at 06:36 PM.
    pm332@hotmail.com

definetly one of the main reasons is the tranny. I have loved driving my friends 5speed so I guees I'll try to sell it and see what happens...

anyone have any opinions on a reasonable price?
    btw 50k miles
    Andrew 97M3

1997 M3 Sedan...

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2000 323iT
    Hey <b>Kevlar</b>,

Do you have the link to this comparison plot?

Thanks!
    Nick

1998 M3 Estoril • 2000 323it TiAg sport 5 spd

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by Mode
    Hey <b>Kevlar</b>,

Thanks!
    I have to check at work. If I have it, I'll post it tomorrow on Monday.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by Mode
    Hey <b>Kevlar</b>,

Thanks!
    I don't have the exact comparison plot comparing the M3 automatic vs the 328i, but I can get one if you really want to see it.

I posted the two plots that I do have... a 95 M3 Automatic and a 96 328i. You can check the numbers to compare.

http://www.activeautowerke.com/dyno

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2000 323iT
    Ok. . .thanks for looking, though. I've seen those on the AA site already. I was just curious about on overlayed dyno of the two. Later.
    Nick

1998 M3 Estoril • 2000 323it TiAg sport 5 spd