Thread: New Tires = Chewed up wheels. Gashes/Gouges.

My Cars
    2001 MZ3 Roadster

Thumbs down New Tires = Chewed up wheels. Gashes/Gouges.

Long story short, last nght my Dunlop SportMaxx's came in. It took the shop literally 2 hours to put them on. Can you imagine how my stock wheels look now? Yeah.. not good.

I went back this morning to show them the damage they had done and the office manager said I needed to get an estimate to repair them. Does anyone know of location they would trust to refinish the M Roadster wheels in SoCal? I'm in Century City.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'll upload pics soon. I'm not naming the place since they are doing the right thing and taking care of it. If I get the run around though I will do a more thorough write up. Why is it that places that specialize in tires/wheels can never do tires/wheels properly?? I'm only going to trust speed shops from now on... lesson learned.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Sorry to hear about that. I have heard of a mobile guy in LA that does great work, but I don't think he fixes damage as much as he conceals in. But I'll leave it to the LA guys to say whats what.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    E36/7, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by meanaverage View Post
    Does anyone know of location they would trust to refinish the M Roadster wheels in SoCal? I'm in Century City.
    Son Tran

714 742-6855

He comes to you. You can find testimonials here as well as any other BMW forum. And before you ask, yes, he can match the rim color.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    What is it with wheel shops these days? I had one shop screw up a rear so I went to another shop when I needed new fronts and, even after I did a pre-work inspection with them, they screwed up one of those.

Anyways, absolutely call Son. He did my rear and did a great job and he's a nice guy. Here's the before and after on my car: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=936146
    Last edited by westcoast; 04-08-2008 at 10:08 PM.

My Cars
    E36/8, E36/7
    No information on a wheel repair shop in Cali, but that's great news they are doing the right thing. I've been told that our rear wheels are some of the hardest to mount tires due to the low offset. Apparently it doesn't seat properly on the machine. I recently had my new tires mounted by a reputable race shop and they owner (friend of a friend) told me it took five people to hold the wheel to get the rears mounted!

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo5spd View Post
    No information on a wheel repair shop in Cali, but that's great news they are doing the right thing. I've been told that our rear wheels are some of the hardest to mount tires due to the low offset. Apparently it doesn't seat properly on the machine. I recently had my new tires mounted by a reputable race shop and they owner (friend of a friend) told me it took five people to hold the wheel to get the rears mounted!
    Did you see them doing it? Was the face of the wheel facing up or down? Here's the thing with the rears, they should be facing down or the reverse of what is normal, at least on a Hunter machine. The shop that screwed up my rear put some new guy on it and he did it the wrong way which super compressed it onto the machine and caused it to come flying off - I saw it. When you say it took 5 guys, I'm pretty sure they were doing it the wrong way.

Here is the link to Hunters mounting instructions on their site just for our rear wheels. http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/4369T/

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    I just had a similar experience. I ordered 4 new tires from 1010tires.com. A local shop mounted the easy fronts and mangled the wheels terribly.
    I went to a Kal Tire shop for the rears. The crew there instantly recognized the reverse mount scenario and did the difficult back tires perfectly.
    A local body shop I've used for years resprayed and recleared the blemished fronts and the perfect backs.
    The Kal Tire guys were really on their game.
    -John C.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Honestly, in my 35 years of car ownership I have never had a shop mount tires on wheels without damaging them.

I would be willing to pay extra if a shop would hire a skilled person that could mount tires without Fn up my wheels.

Joe

My Cars
    E36/8, E36/7
    Quote Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
    Did you see them doing it? Was the face of the wheel facing up or down? Here's the thing with the rears, they should be facing down or the reverse of what is normal, at least on a Hunter machine. The shop that screwed up my rear put some new guy on it and he did it the wrong way which super compressed it onto the machine and caused it to come flying off - I saw it. When you say it took 5 guys, I'm pretty sure they were doing it the wrong way.

Here is the link to Hunters mounting instructions on their site just for our rear wheels. http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/4369T/
    Thanks for the info - I'll note this to whomever is doing the work next time I have tires mounted. I did not see them do the work, but thankfully my wheels were returned to me unscathed.

My Cars
    02 M Roadster, 99 XJR
    I'm lucky. I live near the Tire Rack main headquarters. I have them mount my tires on all my wheels that mean anything to me. I can tell they know not to mess them up because they always call me out into the shop to show me any dings that are already on the rim before they mount the tires.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    In Southern California we are lucky because there are quite a few high end tire and wheel outlets. My practice and thought is if they dont sell high end wheels for high performance cars (like BBS, HRE, Fikse, Oz, etc) find another place.

If your wheels have typical scrapes, scratches and curb rash having them repaired is OK as long as you are happy, If your wheels were pristine then completely refinished (or new wheels) should be the order of the day. Refinishing just the damaged/marked spots may look OK now but will not be as durable or age like the original finish--based on what I have read and seen.

But at least they seem willing to address the problem, that is better than some of the "horror" stories I have heard.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Thats why we only use one guy, we follow him around central florida. He is currently the manager of Discount Tire, but he is out there doing our mounting.

Anyways, we bribe, I mean tip him to do the job right.

My Cars
    2000 Z-3 2.8L
    In Maryland we have a very good high-end car tire shop.
    Interstate Tire

My Cars
    06' Lotus Elise
    I no your wheels are stock but many aftermarket wheels have a lable on the inside of the rim that says reverse mount only... that way they don't screw the front lip up..just watch them next time you go to a tire shop...
    Sold

My Cars
    2001 MZ3 Roadster
    Okay, they called back today and said they want me to take my car back to their shop and drop it off for 3 days. They said they will have Capital Wheels resurface the wheels and will give me a loaner in the mean time. What do you think? I can't really find any reviews on Capital Wheels' resurfacing work. :/

I'm iffy about leaving my car with them and believe that I should be able to pick who I want to resurface. What do you guys think?

Thanks again. By the way I call Son but I need to call him back now, phone tag.

A

3/S Mutant: Far too many mods!
    S54 MZ3: Not enough mods!

My Cars
    2001 MZ3 Roadster

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by westcoast View Post

Thanks Westcoast, I'll definitely show them this!

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Leave your car with those jokers for THREE days? Pass. At best, I would bring just the wheels in and leave the car on stands in the garage.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    1. Unless they have some trade agreement with the other guy, Son should be less. Especially if they are renting you a car.

2. Inconvenience aside, I would not let the other guys do it anyways unless they can show you a painted sample that matches. Most of the people that say they can match that paint are full of s**t. It's not a metallic paint. A well known wheel repair company said they could match mine when I took one in and they ended up having to paint all 4 so they'd be the same color (now they are metallic silver.) BE CAREFUL or you are likely to regret it. Just learn from our mistakes.

3. There are several people on this board that vouch for Son's matching abilities on that paint.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    Leave your car with those jokers for THREE days? Pass. At best, I would bring just the wheels in and leave the car on stands in the garage.
    Seriously. That's ridiculous.
    I say have Son take care of it at their shop while your there, and have them pay him.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    2001 MZ3 Roadster

Thumbs up Thanks again

Thanks for the advice, I just wanted to confirm that my negativity had some merit. I'm going to call the manager tomorrow.

My Cars
    00 M Roadster
    It sounds like they might be planning on dismounting the wheels to have them refinished. If that's the case, it will probably be cheaper and less hassle for them if Son just refinishes them with the tires still mounted.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I commend the shop for taking the high road in offering to fix the wheels, but wanting to have the whole car, let alone for 3 days, just smells like they are going to try to fix the wheels themselves. If they were going to farm it out, they could have someone do it on the spot in an hour or two.

If they would be so careless as to chew up the wheels installing the tires, I don't know that I would trust them refinishing the wheels properly OR taking care of the car for 3 days.

My Cars
    2001 MZ3 Roadster

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    I commend the shop for taking the high road in offering to fix the wheels, but wanting to have the whole car, let alone for 3 days, just smells like they are going to try to fix the wheels themselves. If they were going to farm it out, they could have someone do it on the spot in an hour or two.

If they would be so careless as to chew up the wheels installing the tires, I don't know that I would trust them refinishing the wheels properly OR taking care of the car for 3 days.
    I totally agree, they are being realy good about the situation. I just called back and spoke to the manager again. We are absolutely seeing eye to eye on this and she understands that the car means a lot to me and will let me get this done the way we originally agreed upon.

I spoke to her about having Son Tran do the wheels and she just needs an estimate and it sounds like I shouldn't have an issue. It's still a pain to have to deal with this in the first place but I'm so glad I'm not getting the run-around. Quality customer service, seriously, it really means a lot when you can find it.

Thanks to everyone who replied and to everyone who can relate and has given advice. It's really nice to have a whole community behind me.

3/S Mutant: Far too many mods!
    S54 MZ3: Not enough mods!

My Cars
    E36/7, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by meanaverage View Post
    I spoke to her about having Son Tran do the wheels and she just needs an estimate and it sounds like I shouldn't have an issue.
    Whether she has an issue with it or not, take all the SoCal boys advice on quality, paint matching, etc., and go with Son. Don't make us all say we told you so .

And before and after pics por favor.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Yes, let's see some pics to see what we're dealing with.