Thread: Oil light stays on after car turned off

My Cars
    2004 330 Ci Cab w/hardtop

Oil light stays on after car turned off

Once in a while (estimate at about 15-20% of the time) my yellow oil light will light and stay on after I turn off the car. When I restart it, then turn it off, it usually goes off. This problem is intermittent with no apparent pattern, although I have not looked that hard for a pattern. Is this a malfunctioning sensor or does something require attention?

It's an '04 330 Ci, manual.
    Last edited by 1carts; 04-06-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: some html code appeared in the page

My Cars
    BMW 323I
    [quote=1carts;12656401]Once in a while (estimate at about 15-20% of the time) my yellow oil light will light and stay on after I turn off the car. When I restart it, then turn it off, it usually goes off. This problem is intermittent with no apparent pattern, although I have not looked that hard for a pattern. Is this a malfunctioning sensor or does something require attention?

It's an '04 330 Ci, manual.[/quotet
    If oil level in yours car engine is above "minimum" mark on the dipstick,that`s definitelly malfunctioning oil level sensor .

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    Check the oil with the dipstick. Let us know the level

My Cars
    E46 M3 | B5 S4 | E30
    More than likely it's the oil level sensor.
    EUROPROJEKTZ - NorCal Chapter
    Ervin (Bay Area Detailer)

My Cars
    r.i.p. '01 325Ci 5spd
    To me, it just sounds like you're low on oil.

Check out this thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=186688
    I want my baby back...

My Cars
    03 325i AT, 99 323i MT, 98 Dodge Caravan
    Happens to me every now and then. I just turn the key back to the ON position, and turn it OFF again. Light is gone.

Not gonna worry about it.

My Cars
    550XI,993TT
    I would not ignore it. Check the oil level 15 min after you shut the engine off on level ground. Everytime, when my oil level sensor is working, the level was low. When the light turn red, you need to adda qt of oil.

My Cars
    03 325i AT, 99 323i MT, 98 Dodge Caravan
    Quote Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
    I would not ignore it. Check the oil level 15 min after you shut the engine off on level ground. Everytime, when my oil level sensor is working, the level was low. When the light turn red, you need to adda qt of oil.
    My oil level is ok. I check constantly. I'm anal about it.

It could be that the oil level sensor is acting up, but nothing I can do until my next oil change ... due in about 5000 miles.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    For the OP: the oil light coming on yellow means the sensor is telling you you're a quart low on oil. Check the oil with the dipstick and verify this. If it's low, add a quart, if it's not low, then the oil level sensor is malfunctioning.

To chsu74: If that oil light comes on in RED, that means there's no oil pressure, and you need to shut the engine down right away to avoid damaging the engine.

Let's review... 1 light, 2 colors, 2 different warnings. Yellow = 1 quart low on oil. Red = No oil pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    '00 318i SE + '78 SIII Landrover + '98(Opel)Corsa
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    For the OP: the oil light coming on yellow means the sensor is telling you you're a quart low on oil. Check the oil with the dipstick and verify this. If it's low, add a quart, if it's not low, then the oil level sensor is malfunctioning.

To chsu74: If that oil light comes on in RED, that means there's no oil pressure, and you need to shut the engine down right away to avoid damaging the engine.

Let's review... 1 light, 2 colors, 2 different warnings. Yellow = 1 quart low on oil. Red = No oil pressure.
    +1

My Cars
    '11 328i, '08 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post

i believe if it comes on (yellow) after you shut the engine off, it means you're slightly low. if it comes on (yellow) while you're driving, you're at or below the absolute minimum. and red, well... we all know what that means.

here's a snapshot from the manual ('01):

Last edited by bscepter; 04-08-2008 at 10:34 AM.
    2008 328xi Sport Wagon 6-speed, sport package

My Cars
    '00 318i SE + '78 SIII Landrover + '98(Opel)Corsa
    Quote Originally Posted by bscepter View Post
    i believe if it comes on (yellow) after you shut the engine off, it means you're slightly low. if it comes on (yellow) while you're driving, you're at or below the absolute minimum. and red, well... we all know what that means.

here's a snapshot from the manual ('01):

Cool, Didn't know that!

But in either case it COULD still be a faulty sensor

Sean
    '00 Nissan Vannete "Shaggin' Waggon" - Current DD
    '95 Peugeot 306 dTurbo "Chucky" - Dead (Blown up!)
    '00 BMW 318i SE "Katie" - Sold
    '78 Landrover Series III - Rebuild In Progress
    '99 Vauxhaul Corsa "Kermit the frog" - Dead (old age)

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
    When the light turns red, you need a little more then 1 qt of oil to fix your problem