Thread: M50 manifold on 328

My Cars
    -

M50 manifold on 328

I came into the shop a little unsure of what was going happen. Many told me this mod was not worth the money, I will loose a lot of low end torque for a little more top end hp, and I would have other problems with it as well. The only engine mods I had were an AA intake and AA Gen 3 exhaust and I was debating over m3 cams, track pipe, software, or m50 manifold. I wanted to wait on the software and do a more custom (and costly) set-up later on, and the cams and track pipe were a bit heavy on the wallet so I came to my conclusion. I decided to go ahead and do it, not having done a “go” mod in about 8 months, I was growing impatient.
    We ripped out the old manifold and, in about 2 hours, had the m50 bolted up and all hoses in place and ready to go. I started up the car and took it out. I could barely notice the loss of torque if there was any, and the top end pulled real hard. It was noticeably stronger after 4.5k rpm even with Alex in the car with me. The m50 manifold surprisingly made a pretty noticeably difference in sound too. Now my intake just screams! I can barely hear my exhaust; but I like the new sound . Unfortunately the dyno wasn’t set up so I couldn’t dyno that day. I am going to dyno some time this week and see my gains compared to my previous dyno w/ just intake/exhaust. The manifold doesn’t NEED software but I think it would work a lot better with software. It has been said that without software, the loss of tq is evident and you have stalling problems if you clutch in really fast after heavy throttle. I don’t have any software and it has not stalled on me yet and I don’t think it ever will. All in all, I thought it was a great mod. Dyno graph, pics, vids are soon to come.

Has anyone elce done this mod?

For those who want to know I got my manifold kit from www.eurospeedperformance.com who sells the complete kit including manifold, all hoses, all gaskets, machined brackets, everthing you need.
    Last edited by Fissionx; 05-11-2003 at 04:55 PM.
    -Dan | '99 911 C2 | '02 M3 | '91 318i

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe 5spd
    wow i am surprised i thought there would be a huge amount of low end torque loss.
    Alpine White 1999 M3 5spd Xbrace

2006 Acura TL 6spd SOLD

2000 323i 5spd w/ sport package SOLD BBS RK 17X8 - kumho ecsta MX 225/45/17 - Shark injector - UUC SSK with DSSR

Hellrot Red 1997 328is 5spd w/ sport package SOLD Dinan Cold Air Intake - Dinan Stage II Software - BB TriFlo exhaust - Eibach Pro Kit - Koni Shocks - UUC tranny mounts - 3.15LSD - UUC clutch stop- UUC 8.5 lbs stage II flywheel - e34 M5 clutch - fan delete - asc delete

My Cars
    -
    There may have been, i don't think it was that great so however. The real test is going to be when i dyno later this week. Again, the kit is soposed to be used with software and i didn't have any, with software you wont' see any loss of low end tq.

My Cars
    Toyota Broquoia
    very nice. can't wait to see the dyno results. How much louder is the intake?? I dig screaming intakes over ripping exhausts.

My Cars
    E46
    what kind of software would be needed (i'm assuming just normal intake, exhaust software wouldn't be enough) Also, how much did it come out for you (you said the track pipe was too much so it must have been cheaper than that)

Wheels in Sig are SSR GT3's 19" E46 M3 fitment. Dinan E46 M3 Suspension. Pic thanks to Kyle K.

My Cars
    -
    Eurospeed sells the kit for $520 shipped. AA sells the track pipe for $754, which is around what m3 cams would have cost me.

http://www.eurospeedperformance.com/Products/intake.htm
    M50 Manifold Kit for OBD2 E36 M3
    $520 shipped includes all the parts necessary for installation and instructions. Software is not required, but recommended because there will be a drop in low/mid range without the software. Any basic software (AA, Dinan, Jim C) should do for basic intake/exhaust/manifold.

We also offer a 540 package for an additional $335 with purchase of the manifold kit. Purchased without the M50 Kit, the 540 sells for $365. 540 package includes used hfm, reducer, silicone hose, and all other necessary parts for install on a OBD2 car. This will require you have a 3.5" cai and recommended you have a aftermarket exhaust. We can provide these parts as well.
    Im guessing normal software would do fine, custom software would utilize it more, but that is the case for allmost every engine mod.
    Ya my intake is loud, i can barely hear my exhaust now, i will get a clip up shortly.

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    im very interested in this mod. Is it pretty simple to do? What sort of gains are you estimating with it? Would the 540 HFM do anything on a 323 or a 328? Thanks!
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    E46
    If I was going to go NA I would get this, Euro HFM, plus the dinan euro HFM software (I can get a little bit of a discount on it)

Wheels in Sig are SSR GT3's 19" E46 M3 fitment. Dinan E46 M3 Suspension. Pic thanks to Kyle K.

My Cars
    -
    Originally posted by PasadenaE36
    im very interested in this mod. Is it pretty simple to do? What sort of gains are you estimating with it? Would the 540 HFM do anything on a 323 or a 328? Thanks!
    I doubt you would see any gains w/ the euro HFM nor with the manifold on a 2.3l

I don't think you would see much gain w/ a Euro HFM alone OBD2 m3 either, AA and i think maybe Jim C have played around with it for a while but could never get any gains. With the m50 manifold it may be diffrent, you may see some gains from it.

My Cars
    E46
    Originally posted by Fissionx

I don't think you would see much gain w/ a Euro HFM alone OBD2 m3 either, AA and i think maybe Jim C have played around with it for a while but could never get any gains. With the m50 manifold it may be diffrent, you may see some gains from it.
    I don't see what the difference would be between gains on a 3.0 and gains on the 3.2 (it would seem actually that the 3.2 would make more gains) The ASC delete would be needed, but i'm sure with the obd1 manifold and the euro hfm some gains would be seen.

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i

you have an M3 motor then? btw, the 323is had a 2.5L M52B25, but they named it the 323is because they didnt want to market a new 325is with less power than its predecessor
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    -
    No i have a 2.8l. Ah, thank you for clearing up the confusion. I dont' know if it would put out gains or not, it would be cool to see what it would do on that engine.

Im pretty sure that in the past, companies have tried to get the euro HFM to work on OBD2 cars and it has produced none or little gains, It would be intresting to see dyno w/ m50 manifold vs m50 manifold and euro HFM. The trick would be software.

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    No i have a 2.8l. Ah, thank you for clearing up the confusion. I dont' know if it would put out gains or not, it would be cool to see what it would do on that engine.

Im pretty sure that in the past, companies have tried to get the euro HFM to work on OBD2 cars and it has produced none or little gains, It would be intresting to see dyno w/ m50 manifold vs m50 manifold and euro HFM. The trick would be software.
    hmmm, well, maybe ill have to try it out
    cause i love my car, but the engine leaves a lot to be desired
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    E46
    Euro HFM's on M50/2 engines make no difference because they are not going to be pulling enough air through to really make a difference anyways. On my previous 3.0 motor when I did the euro HFM upgrade though it felt like the car had totally changed, this makes sense as BMW used the same HFM on the 325 as the m3 which is fine for the smaller 2.5 engine, but restrictive for the larger engine. This is why I believe the 3.2 would gain nice power. I know some vendors have tried it on the 3.2 for gains and only had little success, but I think this might have been because of the obd2 manifold bottleneck. OR it could be because of the whole obd2 setup.