Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: SMG tranny to manual?

My Cars
    96 Evo Cab, 98 Evo Coupe
    Had the use of a friends ramp so removed the gearbox to machine, the clutch plate was completely worn after 8000 miles, can only guess when the SMG started to fail it took the clutch with it?

Still struggling with the wiring, is there anywhere i can get a wiring diagram from, even if i have to pay? From what i gather, i have to remove the instrument cluster to disconnect the SMG computer? is it obvious which box it is when the cluster is out?

smgsucks: go for it, it seems more daunting than it actually is, just follow what has been previously written here and you won't go far wrong
    Last edited by goughie; 01-24-2009 at 01:07 PM.

My Cars
    325TDS
    I'am French, my name is Gerald

The very good post, thank you

+++

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Hi Gerald and welcome to Bimmerforums!

Quote Originally Posted by gege021 View Post
    I'am French, my name is Gerald

The very good post, thank you

+++
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    325TDS
    Thank you for your reception

this post interests me much, but I would have to like more photographs to see exactly how that changes

Thank you

My Cars
    M3 Evo, 328 trackcar
    I'm also new and have found this thread priceless. This kind of info isn't available on the UK forums.

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert e30 325is
    I need a wiring scematic for the SMG system as i am gonna try to retofit it one to an m52B28TU and put it into my e24 but no one seems to have any diagrams that work(all the diagram links were dead...) If I find i cant then in goes an s50B32....

Sign to Remove the California Front Plate Law!#27,140 http://www.PetitionOnline.com/caplate/petition.html

My Cars
    96 Evo Cab, 98 Evo Coupe
    Removed fuse #28 and disconnected the blue SMG plug from the rear of the instrument cluster but still nothing, have all ignition lights etc but no crank to the starter, if i run a wire from the solenoid on the starter to the battery, with the ignition on, the car starts and revs fine?

I am assuming there is no supply to the starter relay because the car still thinks it is in gear? Does anyone know which one is the starter motor relay, i have the Bentley manual and it says it is inside the car, in one of leppalas posts (different forum) he said it is next to the main fuse box?

Found the wiring diagrams on wedophones dot com/BMWManualsLead.htm
    (i am not allowed to post links at the moment) but cannot find anything to do with the SMG system.

Gerald, welcome to you, what did you require pictures of?

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    "Also I discovered that if the smg pump relay feedback (7.5A fuse in pump relay box)is not seen by the dme-the starter will not engage.I will rectify by bridging this input and deleting the smg pump relay."
    ^From an earlier post.
    What I did is to modify the start recognition relay from the fusebox-but there are 2 relays,I need to check my drawings which one.
    The mod is to remove the coil and bridge the signal contacts,then reinsert the relay,the reason being is that although although the smg is not being used, this relay is energised by the smg ecu which signals the dme ok to start,not in gear etc.
    With no power to the smg ecu-no start recognition to the dme, and no starter.
    The schematics for the NA version M3 and Bentley manual do not have a reference to the smg system, you need the AG 1998 version, this has everything. Just be wary of the wire colours, they can be misleading.
    As an update, I also have my new cluster and oil temp guage all working, but need to find time to do some extra's like wiring in the gearbox oil temp sensor and switching between the two.

My Cars
    96 Evo Cab, 98 Evo Coupe
    Ok, great, if you could find out which relay it is it would be a great help, i struggle with electrics like this, when you say i need the AG 1998 wiring diagram i take it this is only available from BMW dealers?

Was looking to change the cluster whilst i was there, but cannot get hold of one at the moment :o(

Thanks for all your help, i couldnt have got this far without it

My Cars
    BMW M3 Evo

Thumbs up Hi

Hi dudes,
    Nice to meet you
    My name is Boby, I'm from Bulgaria.
    Gratest post !!! Now i working on it

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    Well, I do have the ag1998 wiring diagram in pdf format, its about 4-5mb in size.
    Where can I post it so I don't need to email a squillion people?
    Also all the old links are definitley now dead.

My Cars
    96 Evo Cab, 98 Evo Coupe
    Have been using the car with a seperate start button which works fine but would like to wire it properly so the diagram would be a real help.

I have downloaded files from http://www.mediafire.com/index.php in the past but never set my own account up?

Cheers,

Paul

My Cars
    m3
    strange, i don't even have my smg computer inside my car and it can still starts!
    as far as i remembered, there is one wire that i had to bridge to cheat the DME

My Cars
    96 Evo Cab, 98 Evo Coupe
    I never found a seperate SMG box, just the blue SMG harness connector to the back of the instrument cluster

If you could post how you fooled the DME i would appreciate it

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    The smg box is tucked away with your dme and when you unplug it the engine won't turn over. See post #58 for info. The blue connector on the cluster is for indication only. This is what Bedema has probably had done as well.

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec
    Hi everybody, longtime!
    I wonder why are you taking off the blue connector from cluster?
    I took only 2 fuses out, and +12v to starter relay, and car is working.
    I also took the tranny warning light off, and now cluster is clean from yellow light

My Cars
    96 Evo Cab, 98 Evo Coupe
    DusM3: Just thought, if you email me the wiring diagram, i will post it on a download site for everyone to grab? I will pm you my email address.

My SMG computer must still be plugged in then, i am still running a seperate push button start and everything has been fine since my last post

DusM3: Thanks for the diagram, had a quick scan through, looks great, will be a real help.

Here is a link for everyone to download it (hopefully!)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zntjnn...rics_98_AG.pdf
    Last edited by goughie; 03-30-2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2009 E90 M3 DCT
    Phew. Guess I too am a victim Am planning on doing this conversion and wanted to make sure I had the parts handy.

This last part: 2311 7542 726, has the number changed? Cannot find it on Real OEM or the BMWInfo site.

Thanks in advance.

Lutfy

My Cars
    S50B32
    The part number is correct, it has two metal bearings, while part no 3 and 4 are already included in this parts.

Quantity needed = 2.

Last edited by ellislau; 09-14-2009 at 01:46 AM.

My Cars
    2009 E90 M3 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by DusM3 View Post
    The pedal box is original, as is the brake and accelerator pedals. I ordered the clutch pedal,springs,clips,over the centre helper,slave and master cylinders, plug-in pipe,clutch hose and pressure switch,mtg brackets etc.
    At the moment the slave cylinder is the smg unit on mine because of a big delay on getting the plug in pipe.I used the LHD version pipe and shaped it to get running.Now I have the correct part I will be installing the lines and the slave cylinder when I remove my plenum next time.
    The master cylinder should fit-but is a major PITA,I had to re-install one night because it wasn't put in straight originally.Is your master plastic and has no boot at front-this version is used with the plug-in pipe.Post some pics if you can.
    Also I removed the pump and left the cable/plug/relay/fuse etc.
    Since ther is no such thing as a stupid question. Guys I need some clarity on these. First of, I ordered the parts for the tranny. Ready on that. Printed out the wiring diagram. I have access to a salvaged 325i manual and assuming I can get the pedal. The slave/clutch hoses/master seems to be M3 specific.

I have ordered the master cyl. What else do I need from this diagram?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...59&hg=21&fg=10

Thanks in advance.

Lutfy

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    You'll need pretty much everything on that page, though you'll probably not use all the brackets.

Though I would be carefull with those part numbers, compare them against bmwcarfans site...use your vin to get the right vehicle because LHD and RHD and US parts differ slightly...in particular the plug in pipe-item 22.

Also you must be sure to use the part number that is clarified in the columns "To date" and "From date".

Since I don't have time to get a parts list together, if you can get your vin specfic page as a link, i can assist in being more specific. Again, and I may be wrong, but I don't completely trust the accuracy of the realoem site.

My Cars
    2009 E90 M3 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by DusM3 View Post
    You'll need pretty much everything on that page, though you'll probably not use all the brackets.

Though I would be carefull with those part numbers, compare them against bmwcarfans site...use your vin to get the right vehicle because LHD and RHD and US parts differ slightly...in particular the plug in pipe-item 22.

Also you must be sure to use the part number that is clarified in the columns "To date" and "From date".

Since I don't have time to get a parts list together, if you can get your vin specfic page as a link, i can assist in being more specific. Again, and I may be wrong, but I don't completely trust the accuracy of the realoem site.
    DusM3,

Here's the link (my VIN specific):

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...lutch_control/

Will select out date specific parts (mine is October 97 BTW). Do not need part 27 since I am getting a new part 14.

So I need everything on this page right? Have a junkyard 325i (Euro as well) but do not want to gamble with interchangability of parts.

From this:

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...hifting_parts/

I ordered a Rogue Engineering Euro 6 spd shifter with selector rod (ordered rod joint seperately). Am assuming I can pick some of the parts from the junkyard car along with the clutch pedal/box.

Already ordered all the internal tranny parts and have them in hand.

After these new parts, I guess I am good to go with my project?

THANKS a lot!!

Lutfy

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    I clearly recall buying everything on both those pages, but not needing one of the brackets and the clutch repair kit-item 27.

There is a bracket you will need to weld to the underbody-this holds a rubber bush for the shift arm-item 4. Bracket=http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/41128246251/

You won't need to remove or replace the pedalbox-just add a new clutch pedal and clips/springs etc.

I think you now would have everything to start, I will add to this if I remember anything else.
    Goodluck!

Also these....
    http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/25111222169/
    http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/25111434322/
    Last edited by DusM3; 08-05-2009 at 02:13 AM.

My Cars
    S50B32
    We just had a SMG M3 converted to manual successfully.

We modifying (by bypassing) the K6307 "EKP and start detector relay", the engine can be started.

The location of this relay is inside the black rectangular box on the upper right hand corner of the fuse/distribution box in the engine compartment.

Last edited by ellislau; 08-11-2010 at 10:21 AM.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Can anyone tell me if have have a smg trans and want to put it in my 6speed e46 m3 what parts do I have to modify or take off to get it to work like a normal trans? Thanks in advanced

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast