Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SMG tranny to manual?

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec

SMG tranny to manual?

Iīve read that some of you have done the conversion.
    I have problems with my smg....

So, what parts do i have to get before my car runs like manual?
    Of course the clutch pedal+cylinders and shifter etc, but do parts have to be on m3 manual?
    If you can help with part numbers, itīs gonna help me a lot.

What about the electric?
    I pull out the smg control unit, but car wonīt start anymore.
    So is there major work with electrics?

Sorry my bad english(iīm from finland)

My Cars
    m3
    unplugging the smg computer alone definitely will stop your car from starting
    you have to unplug everything on the shifter too...also reflash the ews

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec
    Quote Originally Posted by bedema View Post
    unplugging the smg computer alone definitely will stop your car from starting
    you have to unplug everything on the shifter too...also reflash the ews
    Ok, where do i get the reflash? bmw?

Btw, do i need these parts to my tranny if i converse it to manual:
    http://bmwfans.info/original/E36/Lim...3/ill-23_0233/

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    If you are converting using your box, the gearbox parts are items 1,2,3,4,5,6,16 on your link.
    You will also need to machine the bores in your bellhousing to fit parts 1 to 6.
    I used a spare bellhousing to copy dimensions and components.
    If you have cruise control, a clutch switch will need to be installed and wired in.
    See Zparker's smg trackcar thread post 68.Also my cluster swap thread.And search my posts because I'm sure there are threads missing from this section.
    The smg computer need not be unplugged, just pull smg fuse and unplug the connectors on the cluster that come from the smg comp.
    Anyway good luck, looking back now that I've done the conversion it's very similar to converting an auto to a manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec
    Quote Originally Posted by DusM3 View Post
    If you are converting using your box, the gearbox parts are items 1,2,3,4,5,6,16 on your link.
    You will also need to machine the bores in your bellhousing to fit parts 1 to 6.
    Ok. I donīt need any other parts inside transmission?
    If so, this sounds pretty "easy" in paper.
    The smg computer need not be unplugged, just pull smg fuse and unplug the connectors on the cluster that come from the smg comp.
    So i donīt need reflash?

Here in finland i think no one ever done this yet, so thanks a lot guys for helping me!

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec
    Now my transmission is parts on table, and iīm pretty sure that only parts i need is numbers 1-6.

Those keep gearshift on center, and there is also reverse gear locking.
    Without these my stick is between 5 and 6.

Are you sure that parts on 16 is needed, because there allready is 3 springs and little metal balls?

I tried email you Dusm3, but i think you havenīt got anything on mail.

The electrics is my headache, so where i have to put the clutch signal?
    Now my shifter is unplugged, and smg fuse also, so i need unplug something behind the cluster? And after that my car starts?

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    Leppala, I trust you got my email.
    Item 16 is the upgraded part, balls are no longer used, they are now cups.
    You should disconnect the plugs that come from the smg computer to the cluster.There are two fuses for the smg , don't pull #7. Pull fuse 28-smg supply .
    If you have cruise control you need the clutch switch.Check the Ag version of the ETM to get the wiring right.
    When you install the clutch hose(rubber)there is a clutch pressure switch which must be installed to plug the hole,connection is not available so don't worry there seems to be no need for it.
    Don't forget to get the mounting brackets for the clutch lines.
    There is a repair kit for the gearbox, I'm still looking for the part number.It is listed for the 5 speed but is exactly the same for the 6 speed.These are the bushings,circlips and plugs for the locking pins.

-part # 2311 7542 726-repair kit bearing,qty 2
    Last edited by DusM3; 04-15-2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Part number found

My Cars
    m3
    DusM3, it will be extremely helpful if you can give us the link to your thread here
    I have a spare smg gearbox sitting around, I might be doing the same thing later down the road when i get the time.
    thanks man

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    DusM3, it will be extremely helpful if you can give us the link to your thread here
    I have a spare smg gearbox sitting around, I might be doing the same thing later down the road when i get the time.
    thanks man
    Not sure which thread you mean, I don't have a dedicated thread since I was converting at the time.
    I had to search my posts to find that part#.
    This thread has most of the info,I'll look at getting all the info I have and put it in a new thread for anyone who needs it and hopefully other people can put in working solutions to other sections of the conversion , with possibly some new uses for the leftover loom and sensors, eg gearbox oil temp,gearbox speed sensor,acceleration sensors(lateral and longitudinal) , pedal pot. etc.
    I believe there is some serious untapped potential there.

My Cars
    m3
    that lateral and longitudinal readout was very cool...i saw it on the computer and i was very amazed only smg version have that!!!
    it is like playing play station gt5

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec
    Leppala, I trust you got my email.
    Item 16 is the upgraded part, balls are no longer used, they are now cups.
    You should disconnect the plugs that come from the smg computer to the cluster.There are two fuses for the smg , don't pull #7. Pull fuse 28-smg supply .
    If you have cruise control you need the clutch switch.Check the Ag version of the ETM to get the wiring right.
    When you install the clutch hose(rubber)there is a clutch pressure switch which must be installed to plug the hole,connection is not available so don't worry there seems to be no need for it.
    Don't forget to get the mounting brackets for the clutch lines.
    There is a repair kit for the gearbox, I'm still looking for the part number.It is listed for the 5 speed but is exactly the same for the 6 speed.These are the bushings,circlips and plugs for the locking pins.

-part # 2311 7542 726-repair kit bearing,qty 2
    No email here? Try perttileppala (at) hotmail.com

I get the missing parts from local bmw dealer next week.
    Price was very cheap, 49euros.
    Thanks from the part#, youīre king

I got the steel shifter here on finland, and itīs ment to be on f-group rally carīs. Think the shifting is gonna be quite short

I found the wiring diagram:http://hosting.data.bg/bmw/BMW/E-Boo.../E36_Sedan.pdf
    Thatīs correct for euro model?

Do the clutch pedal+sylinders+other parts have to be on m3, or do the 325 parts fit there?

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    The diagram in your link is the same one I'm using.
    Clutch cylinders and lines are M3 specific, the clutch pedal parts is most E36's.
    Best bet is to type in the last seven digits of your VIN in the etk and it's all there. Go through a few of the relevant diagrams, many questions answer themselves.
    How are you going to tackle the machining? The bore diameters/pitch/location and angle nedd to be very precise as being out will change the shift feel and wrongly preload the shift forks (I think).
    That shifter, is that a factory part , do you have any info/pics of it?
    Cheers

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec
    The diagram in your link is the same one I'm using.
    Clutch cylinders and lines are M3 specific, the clutch pedal parts is most E36's.
    Best bet is to type in the last seven digits of your VIN in the etk and it's all there. Go through a few of the relevant diagrams, many questions answer themselves.
    How are you going to tackle the machining? The bore diameters/pitch/location and angle nedd to be very precise as being out will change the shift feel and wrongly preload the shift forks (I think).
    That shifter, is that a factory part , do you have any info/pics of it?
    Cheers
    My friend is machining the bellhousing to me, and after i get the missing parts i have to check carefully the parts and locations with them.
    I think itīs pretty basic to them (hope so )

Yeah the shifter is some kind of factory part, hereīs a picture: http://www.ralli.net/rnet/images/mar...oads/18531.jpg
    Mine is little different with colours, but itīs exactly same shifter.
    I put later today a pic.

E: Itīs not the same shifter..
    Last edited by leppala; 04-21-2008 at 05:18 AM.

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec
    Hereīs a pics of my shifter: http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...3042008251.jpg
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...3042008253.jpg
    Oh and my tranny parts came today
    Still have to get that little ball bearing, but thats no problem i think.

Today i removed the steering wheel+cluster, and checked a wiring diagram little....there is soooo much wires...
    Do i have to cut ALL wires where smg computer is involved behind the cluster? Remember colours?

My Cars
    Z1, M3 LTW, 228

Shift parts

That carrier looks a lot like the AC Schnitzer carrier.

The Factory one is quite a bit lighter, but probably not quite as stiff. I rather suspect that the bulk of the carrier imparts a different feel to the shifting mechanism overall, one that people prefer... or... well, no one would by the ACS parts, right?

I have three of those on the shelf used, and it took me a while to figure out what they were, and who made them as they have nothing but a part number stamped on them. I wrongly assumed after seeing 3 of them that they may have been factory upgrades or equivalent late model parts or something.

I'm curious if anyone can chime in on how that solid carrier is an improvement over stock... with any degree of certainty!

Alex.
    Alex Lipowich
    xyobgyn on AOL

Trying to make the world a better place with 5 extra throttle bodies at a time.

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    Quote Originally Posted by leppala View Post
    Hereīs a pics of my shifter: http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...3042008251.jpg
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...3042008253.jpg
    Oh and my tranny parts came today
    Still have to get that little ball bearing, but thats no problem i think.

Today i removed the steering wheel+cluster, and checked a wiring diagram little....there is soooo much wires...
    Do i have to cut ALL wires where smg computer is involved behind the cluster? Remember colours?
    You're not really going to cut the wires are you?
    In the diagram they are plugs.No wires were cut in mine.(I think)Though that's what my mechanic told me.Only one wire was added for the clutch switch.

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec
    You're not really going to cut the wires are you?
    In the diagram they are plugs.No wires were cut in mine.(I think)Though that's what my mechanic told me.Only one wire was added for the clutch switch.
    Behind the cluster there is plugs, but they have much more wires than smg only. so i think they cannot be unplugged.
    Only plug before cluster is x69 on that diagram, but there goes all smg wires. Can you ask your mechanic what kind of plugs he unplugged, and how many of them?
    The wiring is only problem in this project to me...

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec
    Finally my gearbox is working
    The dimensions of that little ball bearing : 22mm/8mm(hole) and 7mm thick.
    I put same spring to reverse locking pin as the 5-6 have. Itīs little softer.

Tomorrow iīm gonna lift it back to car.

Still need help with those wirings...

My Cars
    m3
    what do you have to do with the bell housing?
    I have my smg gearbox sitting around and i really want to change it back to manual spec
    There are machinist in HK, but i need to tell them what to do....because they are just machinist

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec
    what do you have to do with the bell housing?
    I have my smg gearbox sitting around and i really want to change it back to manual spec
    There are machinist in HK, but i need to tell them what to do....because they are just machinist
    You need to do just a 2 straight holes.
    When you got the parts, you know what i mean. Outside of the tranny the holes must be little bigger, because there comes seals(donītknow right word), but like i said when you see the missing parts with your machinist, he will know what i mean.

My Cars
    m3
    do you have to take apart the whole transmission...or just drill from the outside?

My Cars
    m3
    also, how does the shifting feel compare to the manual gearbox?

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec
    do you have to take apart the whole transmission...or just drill from the outside?
    You have to drop your gearbox, and take the bellhousing out.
    Itīs just 2-3 hours job.

also, how does the shifting feel compare to the manual gearbox?
    The shifting feel is just like manual.

My Cars
    -99 m3 cabrio eurospec
    IT`S ALIVE!
    2 smg fuses out, and straight 12v to start, and itīs running.
    I havenīt drive yet, but hope itīs gonna work on drive too.
    Tomorrow i get the clutch cylinders.
    I thinks itīs moving in this summer

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    Quote Originally Posted by leppala View Post
    IT`S ALIVE!
    2 smg fuses out, and straight 12v to start, and itīs running.
    I havenīt drive yet, but hope itīs gonna work on drive too.
    Tomorrow i get the clutch cylinders.
    I thinks itīs moving in this summer
    Looks like you are almost there!
    Did you remove Fuse 7 as well, if so does your central locking still work?
    Reason I ask is on pg 42 of wiring diagram fuse 7 supplies this circuit.
    I haven't pulled out my cluster to see what is disconnected, but I remember seeing at least one plug removed.
    The clutch switch had +12v from a whole bunch of solder connectors under the dash-this then went to the switch and then ground.(the connection had no label).

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast