Thread: Spec won't stand behind their product

My Cars
    95 Dinan M3, 00 Denali, 01 Gixxer 1k, 04 Kawi 636

Spec won't stand behind their product

Just wanted to warn all of those out there that Spec will not stand behind their products.
    I am the former owner of a NH based speed shop and bought a clutch for my M3 through a friends shop. Right from the install I had issues with their product. I went through the recommended break in and everything.
    Needless to say that there was an issue with the clutch and pressure plate. We pulled the clutch and took pictures (which spec requested) and sent them in. The stated that the problem was with the flywheel and assured us that it wasn't with them. So, I installed a Findanza FW and sure enough, still have a problem with the clutch.

Now they are saying that it's not their problem because it's been over a year and they aren't responsible.

The first complaint was filed 6 months after purchase.

Hope this will help someone else avoid any problems with this company.

My Cars
    e36///M3, e60///M5, A4,
    was it clutch squeal?? i have a spec stage 3 and this clutch is a nightmare started squealing 2 months after install. we figured it out and it was a bad pressure plate. i still have yet to replace it though. i've just been driving it the way it is...kinda embarrassing but i gots no money to get a ultrasmooth. ive talked another member about this and he put in a aa pressure plate and kept the spec clutch disc and likes it so who knows. I would rather put in a cheap ebay clutch then buy another spec clutch.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by hmsM3 View Post
    was it clutch squeal?? i have a spec stage 3 and this clutch is a nightmare started squealing 2 months after install. we figured it out and it was a bad pressure plate. i still have yet to replace it though. i've just been driving it the way it is...kinda embarrassing but i gots no money to get a ultrasmooth. ive talked another member about this and he put in a aa pressure plate and kept the spec clutch disc and likes it so who knows. I would rather put in a cheap ebay clutch then buy another spec clutch.
    Oh my god thank you!! Not only do I get the squeal, but after a few hard launches, I completely loose the peddle and have no clutch. When I say I have no clutch, I mean that the car won't move. The clutch just slips. I thought it was the pressure plate from the beginning and wanted to warranty it from day one, but Spec assured me that it wasn't their product and it was the flywheel. Well, it looks like they were just buying time to say that I went over the year or purchase.

I post on several forums and this will go on all those. I also have 15 shops in the area that i know on a personal basis that threw out there Spec catalogs.

My Cars
    The Honda crowds has plenty of horror stories w/ Spec. I have a stage 3 with no problems, fingers crossed.

My Cars
    e36///M3, e60///M5, A4,
    yeah i got the run around from spec also and they were like take pics of it and send to us. ummmmm yeah okay easier said then done. will they reimburse me when i have to pay $300+ for someone to pull the tranny for pictures so they can say nope sorry its not our product. Then i would have to pay someone again to pull it and replace it with a real clutch thanks but no thanks spec. Im sure they are well aware of their shitty pressure plate design but hoping ppl will react the way i did and say F it and not deal with them. Im going to be real pissed if i find out that my JB racing Flywheel is messed up because of the clutch. anyways GL man. BMW guys and gals stay the F away from spec....waste of time and money

My Cars
    '87 325is
    i was luckily deterred from Spec when looking for a clutch to hold a simple demand of 300whp. i went with products from clutchnet.com and i could not be happier. i am sorry to hear about your misfortune with Spec clutches. i hear mixed reviews about them, but in the end, i was deterred because clutchnet.com happily cut me a better deal than Spec to sustain my business. they have my business and my approval now.

My Cars
    Good to know. It seems that I am in the market for another clutch. I am just disappointed as a shop owner to see this type of service from a supplier.
    Just my friends alone orders 20 kits a year. They called him in December wondering why he hasn't ordered anything in a while and he stated that he was waiting on a resolution to this issue. It seems that they could care less about the consumer.

Buyer beware of Spec!

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    i had a SPEC stage 3+ in my LS1... great clutch (not the crappy 3... the 3+ is a full disk and not a "puck" type)..

there have been a lot of issues with the SPEC 3 on the ls1tech website... everyone was advised to go with the 3+ since it is a newer design and full disk... might be the same for all SPEC 3 applications.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL