Thread: adjusting the fuel mixture on the airbox

My Cars
    E30 M3, E39 540, Range Rover, Reliant Scimtar

adjusting the fuel mixture on the airbox

Can someone let me know which way to adjust the mixture (clockwise or anticlockwise) to lean the mixture on the airbox?
    Thanks

My Cars
    M6 Turbo,E30 M3,540iT
    Clockwise to enrichen

My Cars
    Thanks for the answer. My mixture seems to become to enriched every year when I take it to be tested. Not sure to why it would become richer but I suppose the air filter gets glogged and allowless air flow?

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    Quote Originally Posted by godbur View Post
    Thanks for the answer. My mixture seems to become to enriched every year when I take it to be tested. Not sure to why it would become richer but I suppose the air filter gets glogged and allowless air flow?
    All engines tend to run richer as they age. It comes to a point when the DME or ECU is unable to correct for the condition.
    On these cars resetting the Mixture is a maintenance item.

I hope you are using an exhaust gas analyzer to set the CO. If not, you'll burn the engine eventually. It is safer for the engine to lean for the test , then re-richen ASAP to spec..

m

My Cars
    90 325is
    Dont forget the classic tune up, plugs, wires, cap, injectors going bad. All can lead to the same over rich condition. Just thought it needed to be said. =)

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it

Smile

Can someone let me know which way to adjust the mixture (clockwise or anticlockwise) to lean the mixture on the airbox?
    Thanks
    Here's the easiest way in remembering the adjustment mixture: Left-Lean, Right-Rich simple as that.

My Cars
    nice one.
    Will it passed the MOT, it stood for a while, and needed the the handbrake to be adjusted, and oil change. Also, the mixture was adjusted on the CO analyser. I was way off.
    But with that good news, the M3 will not run continuously for about 5 mins ( It starts cold runs, and stops after and will not fire up again.) It is more than likely the crankshaft sensor or worse of running rich has destroyed the catalytic?
    Does this unit have a OBD1 port?

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    nice one.
    Will it passed the MOT, it stood for a while, and needed the the handbrake to be adjusted, and oil change. Also, the mixture was adjusted on the CO analyser. I was way off.
    But with that good news, the M3 will not run continuously for about 5 mins ( It starts cold runs, and stops after and will not fire up again.) It is more than likely the crankshaft sensor or worse of running rich has destroyed the catalytic?
    Does this unit have a OBD1 port?
    It does not have a typical fault read port per se.

Now it sounds like it's running out of fuel, ie a partially clogged filter (won't flow enough fuel for an engine under load), or ironically , still over fueling.

It also could be a poor coolant temp sensor (the blue plug/sensor on the water rail near the dizzy). It changes resistance over running time to compensate for the engine needing less fuel once warm. Typically the mixture is too rich once it fails...over
    fueling. Find out what the tech set the CO at.

A third suspect could be a fuel pump relay that is overheating, and cutting power to the pumps.

I doubt that it is a cat/con issue.

m