Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tail light/ brake light failure

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    grrr, ive been trying to get a solution to this problem myself, but ima noob so i couldnt find anything, when i saw the warning "tail light failure" i told my friend to check the lights as i reversed, and put the hazzards on, but the tail light were working fine, so idk what to do about the warning, since im not about to waste money replacing tai lights that work, but i did however notice that the lights on the front bumper, the bottom one (i have a 97 328i) dont turn on...why? (im talking about the ones all the way to the bottom, that are rectangles.

My Cars
    05 325i_99 323IS_94 325i
    I had this problem and It was a headache,and the 2 main causes for it is either the switch at the pedal, Or more usualy the poorly designed tailights that rely on that metal plate on the back of the tailight for contact. the contacts get corroded or bent and whenever u fix it 1 week, 1 month, 1 year later same crap. I replaced my rear Tailights with a pair off Ebay that uses 2 wire plugs to each bulb, no metal plate! I got the ones that look like my stock ones, exept instead of all red, with a strip of clearish plastic at the top, there all red with a tinted strip at the top. They plugged right in to the stock plug, they look great (my Nieghbor even asked me what I did to my lights to make them so bright) and only cost me $70! not a single problem! after screwing with the old ones forever it was worth the money just for piece of mind. and you know what the best part is? I took pictures of my old lights front and back, and sold them on Ebay for $60! and for the Purist's out there they also sell the ones Identical to stock, Exept for the poor design that is!

For Sale: (E36) Trans ECU, OEM amber corners, Stock Mirrors, stock amp,E46 Amp, Need to Use an SRS Reset / E36Code puller? E46 Programming Module PM me
    Wanted: E46 Post facelift Carbon Fiber Hood. Have and E36/46 problem..MSG ME. I would be glad to help you out!

Want error free LED License plate lights for less? Go here:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post21079814

My Cars
    1994 325iS
    for me the problem was poor grounding. I spliced into the grounding wire for the harness on the lamp assembly that would intermittently go out and added a second ground wire which i connected to the metal of the assembly. it ensured a good ground to complete the brake circuit and i haven't had a single problem.

honestly a large majority of the time, if you see "brake circuit failure" it isn't the switch. if you see "taillight failure" then it's definitely not the switch and you're either not getting a good contact or a good ground for the whole assembly. I mean it could be the switch as it is what supplies battery voltage to the rear lamps, but it isn't the only thing in the circuit, the rear wiring is such a nightmare, but usually goes unlooked because people usually look for switches or sensors to replace/R&R
    Last edited by shunn; 10-19-2010 at 08:20 AM.
    '94 325iS mods: Motegi Ro_Ja Formula 7 17x7 w/ 225-45ZR17 tires, BavAuto High-Performance Ignition Coils, Scorpion cat-back exhaust

My Cars
    09 135i;Turbo e36
    i have the same problem but i got cheaper ebay tails and the metal backing of the the tailight is not touching the connecter on the bulb assembly so i had to push it over so it makes contact..

AZ 51 STEP GRAD.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

I think we need to pint that there is a difference between "brake light failure" and "tailight failure" messages on OBC.

I am now having "tailight failure" OBC message and I can visualy confirm that complet right side front parking light and rear tailight are not working when headlight switch is in position 1.

Now I need to find out is it headlight switch, a fuse or somethin gelse.

Anyone experienced this issue and eventually fixed?

My Cars
    Bagged E36 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    I think we need to pint that there is a difference between "brake light failure" and "tailight failure" messages on OBC.

I am now having "tailight failure" OBC message and I can visualy confirm that complet right side front parking light and rear tailight are not working when headlight switch is in position 1.

Now I need to find out is it headlight switch, a fuse or somethin gelse.

Anyone experienced this issue and eventually fixed?
    I had something similar on my Jetta, it was just a pinched/ grounded wired.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

Decided to start from the headlight switch as per some replies here and a PM I received from a BMW electronics guru.
    Removed the switch and opened up all its parts...noticed there are minor dirt accumulations on the inside at the contact points (5 points) that are created over yars and this most likely prevents the good contact.
    Cleaned them with grease cleaner liquid and put all parts back.
    Careful while taking it appart pull straight up and slow, also when bringing back the parts be slow and push straight down, this way the small spings do not get lost and/or twisted in wrong directions.
    Apply some minor amount of grease at the points where there was grease before.

After instaling the switch back I did test it and there is no OBC error message coming, also all lights are working fine now.
    Hope this will help someone who is experiencing the same problem to avoid spending on a new headlight switch. This is much better and some fun DIY.

Just to clarify my OBC error message was "Tail Light Failure" and there should be a clear difference between this and "Brake Light Circuit..." that most likely is caused by a faulty brake light switch located at the pedal area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe

Question

it seems like mine is the worst
    first my lowbeams kept going out, so i replaced them with Xenons they worked for 2 days and one went out
    and then my break light went out, then my Tail light, then my front blinkers and it all got topped off with my Cluster/climate control lights going out
    i know all the bulbs are good no problem, all the fuses are good, wiring is done right and everything worked fine the they all started not working one by one
    i dont know whats wrong with the car...
    Please let me know if you know whats wrong with the lighting

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    I took my BMW 328i up to my local bmw dealership, they told me that it was the relays in which the bulbs themselves plug into malfunction, they are extremely cheap. Great and easy fix

My Cars
    I have the brake light failure OBC message, and not a single brake light bulb lights up. Both my headlights and turn signals in the front work fine.

I've replaced the individual bulbs lately, no change. I browsed through this thread but there seems to be a few different schools of thought. Any recommendations are welcome.

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Add me to the list of affect e36ers

Brake light circuit

My Cars
    1997 2.8 Z3

Fixed

My left tail light went out did`nt realize it until the message of rear tail light out, just a burned out bulb then I see my front light is out also, So I search on hear quick and see what it could be.

10amp fuse blown

Then I remember the other day I shorted the flashlight charger with my sunglasses

My Cars
    '97 328i Cabrio
    I'm having the same issues as some.

It started out with "1 brake light out" message. Everything worked except the passenger side bulb which was clearly burnt out.

I replaced the bulb with a silver color sylvania and then I got a "brake light circuit fail" message, but the lights worked just as they did before I changed the bulb. Passenger side was out but everything else was ok.

Next up I replaced the brake light switch at the pedal and was hoping that would take care of the problem. I was then greeted with "Brake light Failure".

I've checked the connections for corrosion and to make sure everything is making proper contact. Seems to be ok.

This morning I fire up the car and notice the driver's side lights don't work at all when the headlights are on. I can't remember the exact wording of the message right now but it was something along the lines of "tail lights out" or something to that effect.

I guess I'll be trying the headlight switch next.

And to think I got out of my last car to avoid electrical gremlins...HA!

My Cars
    Too many
    If the left running lights and left brake light is out your gm4 just went out.

My Cars
    96 BMW 328i
    My left parking lights are out. It keeps blowing the fuse. Wires in the trunk have been fixed and still the same thing. What is the gm4?

My Cars
    Too many
    GM4 or ZKE unit, search and learn.

I don't know if you keep blowing a fuse.. Sounds more like a short rather then the unit now.

My Cars
    96 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomade30 View Post
    GM4 or ZKE unit, search and learn.

I don't know if you keep blowing a fuse.. Sounds more like a short rather then the unit now.
    So I unplugged my driver tail light and the fuse didnt blow. As soon as I plugged it back in the fuse blew so I'm going to say its my tail light assembly.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is

Harness different than pins

I have a 2 door and a 4 door E36 (two cars).

On both cars I recently tried to replace the right rear tail light assembly with another stock assembly.

On the 4 door, on the right rear tail light assembly, the reverse light works, but is very dim.

On the 2 door, the right rear tail light assembly, the running light lens was blackened by ?????, so I tried to replace it.

See photos below. On both cars, the wire harness from the cars does not match the pins of the replacement (stock) tail light assembly.

Both cars have check control. I am familiar with one mod for check control. I tried that, but that didn't solve the "harness vs. pins" problem.

In the second photo, you can see I already performed the mod detailed in my last photo.

Any help? I'm tempted just to shop again, and pay attention to the pins.

Brian

My Cars
    1994 Bmw 325is
    i get this all the time i hate explaining myself to passengers

My Cars
    06 ZCP M3, 02 M5

Same problem with a twist

I just lost all three brake lights, with no error message on the OBC. All other lights in the back - turns, reverse, tails -- work fine. Bulbs look fine. Everything in front fine as well.

I'm going to replace fuse 46, although it looks OK. Any other ideas?
    BLUE HEAVEN:
    Interlagos 2006 M3, AutoLogic tune, K&N CAI, Agency Power midpipes and exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, ///M Pedal Kit, UUC SSK. MRegistry listing here
    Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Tech Graphite, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Conforti/Shark tune. MRegistry listing here

My Cars
    95 325i, 00 Z3M, 17 540i
    My brake lights do no work in the tail lights, but my third brake light and all other tail lights work fine. Contacts are clean, bulbs look fine, and the harness looks good. What else ahold I try?

My Cars
    95 STX 325i
    When I turn my headlights on, my driver rear light doesn't light up but the brake does come up. The OBC shows "tail light failure", I replaced the bulb and it still doesn't come on. The tabs look clean and have good contact... wtf!

I even swapped the insert from passenger side to driver side and it still doesn't work!

Well, looks like I found my problem.

I was checking the fuses and the interior lights/compartment trunk lights fuse was blown. I replaced it and the light came back on. I don't know why that's related but I went ahead on the headlight switch and broke it as I took it apart...
    Last edited by tigermack; 11-04-2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    e36m sedan
    DD e90 n54
    Autox STXBRZ

Autocross vids: https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack

My Cars
    1996 E36
    mine was the tap on the socket

socket location

Can someone tell me me locations of the different colored light sockets on the fixture inside the trunk?

I have replaced the fixture, the bulbs, the sockets and grounded each side and still get the intermittent tail light failure, when they all work and the brake circuit failure, when they all work. HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Did u check the brake switch?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast