Thread: Digital Oil temp. and pressure gauge

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i

Digital Oil temp. and pressure gauge

Hi all,

I found something which looks very interesting to me and I guess I'll get it for two of my E24. It is available as a DIY kit and includes everything but the two sensors. Price according to the web page where I found this is Euro 125,- plus sensors.

My Cars
    2017 F250
    web page where you found it maybe?

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavalamp View Post
    web page where you found it maybe?
    here you go (it's in German and that's why I didn't post it initially):
    http://www.claasi.de/tip001400.php

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    Here is another version, maybe you can tell us the difference from the one you posted? They look pretty interesting.
    http://newling.no-ip.com/rep/oeldruckanzeige/50338.htm

Here is the website frame it came from:
    http://newling.no-ip.com/rep/

My Cars
    1985 m635csi, 1989 alpina c2 replica, 1971 2002
    hi Wokke,

do you know if these gauges are compatiable with an m635 instrument cluster? if so, are there any major modifications that will need to be made to make it work? reminds me of something alpina would have had in their cars.
    i would love to have that setup, and will likely be right behind you in ordering.
    thanks, bob

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by CW6er View Post
    Here is another version, maybe you can tell us the difference from the one you posted? They look pretty interesting.
    http://newling.no-ip.com/rep/oeldruckanzeige/50338.htm

Here is the website frame it came from:
    http://newling.no-ip.com/rep/
    Holger Luebben is running a very good German E24 forum and is a well known guru in this scene. What you have found is actually the same as what I have posted here with a few add ons or modifications. AFAIK Holger and his buddy Roland have made this development together.
    Here's my translation:

A) nur EH-Automatik: serienmässige Störungsleuchte Getriebe
    EH auto tranny only - malfunction warning light
    B) Öldruck 0-5 bzw 0-10 Bar
    Oil pressure 0-5 or 0-10 bar
    C) Öltemperatur 0 bis 199 Grad
    Oil temp. 0-199°C
    D) nur EH-Automatik: vorgewähltes Fahrprogramm (E/S/123)
    EH auto tranny only - preselected driving program (E/S/123)
    E) eingelegte Fahrstufe: P/R/N/D/3/2/1
    EH auto tranny only - chosen gear P/R/N/D/3/2/1
    F) nur EH-Automatik: leuchtender Punkt bedeutet Rückschaltsperre Aktiv
    EH auto tranny only - illuminated dot indicates "no backshift" activ
    G) nur EH-Automatik: Gang in dem sich das Getriebe tatsächlich befindet (1...4,R,N,P)
    EH auto tranny only - actual gear
    H) nur EH-Automatik: leuchtender Punkt bedeutet Wandlerüberbrückungskupplung ist zugeschaltet
    EH auto tranny only - clutch active (sorry, here I'm stuck with my English, no idea what the exact term is).

@bobvaria

Yes, it is available for various BMW models and also for the M6 (that's what I need it for as well). I've contacted Roland via email and he has sent me some detailed info plus some extra pictures. Most interesting for me is the E23-version which includes oil pressure, oil temperature voltage and temperature of ??? (I've sent a mail asking for it). All you need is a pressure sensor and a temperature sensor but Roland has given me some recommendation.

My Cars
    87M6, 89 535i
    Wolf, that is the ideal set up, much better than ugly round gauges cut into the air vent. I wish I could read german, maybe we could do a group buy?
    Thanks for finding this.
    Chris

My Cars
    1985 m635csi, 1989 alpina c2 replica, 1971 2002
    Wolf, maybe that last readout on the e23 setup is coolant temp? both setups(e23 and e24) are quite interesting to me. Chris, i'm all for a group buy if it helps in any way. these gauges would make me feel a lot more comfortable about driving my car in a spirited fashion. it's hard to believe that M cars of this era only came with a coolant temp gauge and some idiot lights. right now, driving pleasure is mixed with equal parts of paranoia and nightmares....

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by 87M6 Chris View Post
    Wolf, that is the ideal set up, much better than ugly round gauges cut into the air vent. I wish I could read german, maybe we could do a group buy?
    Thanks for finding this.
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

I bet you can read Germnan - understanding it is the issue
    I fully agree with you, round gauges are ok if you have a proper place for them like in ALFA ROMEO cars but our E24s are not really prepared to take any extra instruments. I also love this setup (had it in my ALPINA B12) and I'll get it for two og my E24. The 3rd one is an automatic and there's no space in the instrument cluster I'm afraid.
    I contacted Roland about the possibility of installing the E23 setup in an E24 but he hasn't responded yet. I don't see though why it shouldn't be possible.

Cheers
    Wolf

P.S. A group buy would cut the price back to Euro 115,- which is not really massive but understandable to me since it is pure handwork and won't give Roland any discounts on parts he needs.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    I have Roland's OK to post his email address, so here it is in case someone wants to contact him directly: Rolandbmw02@aol.com

BTW the set-up on the first picture in my 2nd post here costs Euro 250 as Roland just informed me. Euro 125,- is for oil pressure and oil temperature only.
    As I also learned today a version for auto tranny cars is available as well. He integrates it into the rpm meter.

Wolf

My Cars
    87M6, 89 535i
    Wolf, I took some german classes when I was a kid, don't remember much now. I do remember thinking that German was quite easy to learn, very logical, as I remember it only has about 12-16 excepetions to the rule as opposed to English which has about 2200 exceptions. I'll wait to see what Roland says about adapting it to e24, you might want to mention to him that there could be potentially a large market over here in NA for what he has made. Got to love entrepreneurs.
    Chris

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Hi Chris,
    hard for me to judge if German is easy or difficult to learn. I myself didn't have a problem with it.

The E23 set-up is also available for the E24. I agree that Roland should definitely give it a try in the US, but the currently expensive Euro plus the shaky economy makes it difficult to sell toys (and that's what it is at the end). There's always a few who have no problem spending lots of money on their cars, but these guys are not typically presenting the E24 scene.
    At least here in Germany and reading between the lines it doesn't seem to be much different in the US most E24 on the roads (or in garages) are far away from being in a good or even top condition. And this is certainly not because the owners don't care but because money is a little tight.

Cheers
    Wolf

P.S. A lot of Germans also have a simple communication issue when it comes to doing business in the US - they just don't speak the language well enough.