Thread: Hood insulation

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325ic

Hood insulation

OK that foam hood insulation crap is falling apart due to it's life in the Texas heat. Aside from ordering it from an aftermarket supplier like Pelican---are there less expensive alternatives?

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    OK that foam hood insulation crap is falling apart due to it's life in the Texas heat. Aside from ordering it from an after market supplier like Pelican---are there less expensive alternatives?
    theres no really cheap alternatives that will last or withstand the heat. i got the 3 piece foam with aluminum layer from bmp design for 80 bucks about 6 months ago. i cut the hole out for the throttle body, and covered it with aluminum tape btw

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exe...earch_model/37

bav auto has the OE black foam kind for 60 bucks, but its crappy and will crumble again in a few years

i cut the hole out for the throttle body, and covered it with aluminum tape btw

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Is the BMP one self adhesive, or do you need to use contact cement? I need to do something about mine soon.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    Is the BMP one self adhesive, or do you need to use contact cement? I need to do something about mine soon.
    nope, its not self adhesive. i just used epoxy and it held it very well. although you can see in the pic i posted i did a very crappy job and the epoxy dripped out. i should have removed the hood before installing it, but i was too lazy

My Cars
    95' Subaru Legacy Lsi (daily) 86' 325es, 90' CRX
    how necessary is the insulation in the first place??? Most cars dont have it right?

My Cars
    98 328i cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaBrosef View Post
    how necessary is the insulation in the first place??? Most cars dont have it right?
    Well, I took mine off of the FC, and now when it rains, I have steam coming up off of the hood.

Speed Kills... Drive a Honduh and Live!!!

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaBrosef View Post
    i believe most, if not all had them, but after the years of heat and oil and dirt and grime, it just kinda crumbles and owners scrape it off. it certainly cools it down, and dissipates the heat. its not necessary, but i like to believe it was put on for a reason

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Why not switch to the fiber liner?

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3 coupe silver
    Easily removed, and generally unnecessary. It's to quiet the engine noise, not shield heat. You really want the engine bay hotter?
    NASA HPDE instructor